Windows 10: Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore

Discus and support Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It’s been almost two months since Microsoft started rolling out the Windows 10 April 2018 update, and while it’s turning out to be the finest version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 16, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore

It’s been almost two months since Microsoft started rolling out the Windows 10 April 2018 update, and while it’s turning out to be the finest version of Windows 10, the reports last month claimed that the update causes a black screen on some PCs.

Microsoft earlier this week confirmed that they’ve fixed the infamous black screen issue with the June patch. The update is now fully available for all compatible devices and over 250 million PCs are already running it, and the software giant says that this the fastest rollout in the history of Windows 10.

The installation of Windows 10 April 2018 Update was causing the infamous black screen on some computers, and in the changelog of KB4284835, the company explains that they’ve fixed the issue. It’s worth mentioning that Microsoft wasn’t at fault this time, as the bug was caused by third-party system optimization applications. It was a software compatibility bug.

“Addresses an issue that caused the system to start up to a black screen. This issue occurs because previous updates to the Spring Creators Update were incompatible with specific versions of PC tune-up utilities after installation,” Microsoft writes.

In the same changelog, Microsoft explained that they’re planning to roll out further updates in the coming weeks, ahead of the July 2018 Patch Tuesday rollout, in order to fix the other reported bugs. Of course, it’s way too early to tell what fixes would be included but it could be related to the bugs affecting the performance of the system.

To install the latest June 2018 patch, navigate to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and check for updates.

It’s worth mentioning that if you’re already running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, the patches will be offered automatically.

Roughly 35% of the 700 million active Windows 10 devices are running the April 2018 Update, and it’s a pretty good figure after less than two months of rollout. Needless to say, the adoption figure shows how quickly the major update became available to everyone.

Windows 10 April 2018 Update was, however, buggy for some users. Many experienced several issues including, but not limited to, File Explorer crashes, BSOD, installation blocked on Intel and Toshiba SSDs, and more.

Microsoft has since released several patches to fix these bugs, and this month’s Patch Tuesday also included a long list of bug fixes.

The post Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 16, 2018

2. Microsoft blocks Windows 10 April Update for Intel SSD 600p Series

Microsoft is blocking some Intel SSDs from installing the April 2018 Update after discovering an incompatibility issue that causes performance and stability issues. In short, the problem was explained by Microsoft as: “When attempting to upgrade to Window 10 April 2018 Update select devices with certain Intel SSDs may enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly.” Microsoft says that this issue has no workaround and that those that have attempted to update Windows 10 to the Windows 10 April 2018 Update should revert back to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709.

Unfortunately, the announcement by Microsoft fails to list what specific Intel SSD models are having issues with the OS update. We contacted Intel and discovered that the Intel SSD 600p Series of client drives that was first introduced to the market in 2016 is the most popular drive that is having issues.

Source: Legit Reviews

biffzinker, Jun 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - April 2018 Update - Black Screen Bug of Death

I discovered a severe bug in the Windows 10 April 2018 update that will cripple the workstation. I have not tested this on anything except Windows 10 Home, Pro, & Enterprise (before and after the April 2018 update). This seems to only effect the latest April
    2018 update.

Do not make these changes on a workstation that you intend to keep using. This will prevent you from using Safe Mode in all conditions. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Once these changes are made, the first reboot will result in a black screen that inevitably leads to a hard reboot. After the next reboot, you will not be able to make it past the "Welcome" screen under any circumstances. This includes rebooting into Safe
    Mode with or without Networking and or Command Prompt. Attempting to repair the computer will fail (chkdsk, scandsk, revert to restore point, etc...) under every condition.

Assuming this is a brand new installation of Windows:

• Configure Windows 10 auditing
      • Go to the "Local Group Policy Editor"
      • Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Advanced Audit Policy Configuration -> System Audit Policies
      • Turn on enough policies to generate enough log event data (turning on everything under "Object Access", "Logon/Logoff", and "Privilege Use" will suffice)
    • Once auditing is configured, configure the event viewer to archive log data
      • Go to the "Event Viewer"
      • Windows Logs -> Right click Security -> Properties
      • Set log size to 1028 (this is a critical step)
      • Select the "Archive the log when full, do not overwrite events" (this is a critical step)
    • Reboot the Windows workstation
      • You may run into a black screen at first (nothing will happen, I have let it sit for 30 minutes)
      • Hard reboot and attempt to log in. You will be stuck at a "Welcome" screen.
      • Reboot into advanced settings. Repairing will fail, reverting to restore point will fail, etc...
    This could severely impact large organizations relying on Active Directory. If an intruder accesses the domain controller, a policy could be deployed to the domain that will break all Windows workstations on the network.

I believe I know what the issue is. When Windows goes to archive the Security.evtx file during the Windows boot sequence, it breaks the workstation. If you manage to get to the log on screen before the event log attempts to archive the log, you will succeed
    logging into the workstation. This is why setting the the size of the log to only 1028 is important. The boot sequence will generate enough data to cause an archive to occur, breaking the system before the user has time to log in.

Again, I have emailed a few times explaining the bug and have heard nothing back from Microsoft.

Chris Carver, Jun 16, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

I updated to main computer to the April 2018 Update, AKA Spring Creators Update, and it seems like they've taken a step backward with MKV file support. When I go into the properties of an MKV file on the Fall Creators Update, if I go to the details tab it gives me a bunch of detail about he media file, like resolution, framerate, audio information and bitrate. However, if I go into the same file's properties on the April 2018 Update, almost all of the information is blank, it only gives me a runtime and bitrate.

I really just want to confirm that this isn't just my computer and other's are experiencing the same thing.

FCU:

Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore fcu-png.png

April 2018 Update:

Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore scu-png.png

newtekie1, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 April 2018 Update won’t cause a black screen anymore - Similar Threads - April 2018 Update

2. Windows 10 April 2018 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 April 2018 update: The install finishes but then leaves a white screen - I do not believe it is the white screen of death as there is a menu in the top left corner. It is asks several questions such as voice activation etc but the problem is that there is NO way out of that screen and I have to...
  3. windows update April 2018

windows update April 2018: Normally at the end of every month I get a notice that Windows is going to update and make it better (just a text message to my notifications panel). I usually let the update happen. Last night I got notification that support for the April 2018 update is ending in November...
  4. Windows 10 April 2018 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 April 2018 update: I am an American temporarily in Greece and am trying to load the New Windows 10 Update from April 2018. This update is taking several hours. Also, my screen seems to be stuck between the"Hi" and "this may take a few minutes" screens. Could this be because I am in a...
  5. Windows 10 April Update black screen

Windows 10 April Update black screen: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 3451 laptop with Intel Celeron N2840 processor. Each time i try to upgrade to the April update, my laptop works for a few seconds then the screen turns black. I had to downgrade to the Fall creators update as a result. Is this because of the graphics...
  6. Win 10 2018 April Update

Win 10 2018 April Update: I have 2 failed attempts for Win 10 April update with error code 0xc1900101 The last attempt was on 11 July 2018. Since then I have tried The Update Assisstant 4 times. Need help to resolve this without upgrading...
  7. Blue Screen after Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen after Windows 10 April 2018 Update 1803: So I can't really do anything of logging and sending you guys here, the moment you can log in which doesn't even appear it goes blue crash https://i.imgur.com/kTRme28.jpg It seems this is caused by comodo, so uninstalling would solve it right? however how to do that if I...
  8. April 2018 update

April 2018 update: My PC automatically updated the April windows 10 update and ever since it has been slow and wont connect to any device via any connection method including the basics such as using a USB cable and bluetooth....
  9. Windows 10 April 2018 Update is causing blank desktop on some PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 April 2018 Update is causing blank desktop on some PCs: Unfortunately, yet another bug is hitting the Windows 10 April 2018 Update and it is also breaking down the computers. The users on social media platform (Reddit) claims that a bug in Windows 10 April 2018 Update is causing blank desktop on some PCs. It looks like a strange...
  10. update april 2018

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    update april 2018: i 've proceed to the last upgrade but this turned me into some problem. see annexes [img] i had never this app installed, nor i cannot find it trough device manager also i cannot save anymore files by my official photoshop since i have annouce as follows [img] before the...