Windows 10: Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...

Discus and support Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey folks, Today, all of a sudden, a notification prompt appeared and Windows 10 asked me to back up my file encryption key. (I'm on W10 pro with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by supertramp, May 9, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...

Hey folks,

Today, all of a sudden, a notification prompt appeared and Windows 10 asked me to back up my file encryption key. (I'm on W10 pro with the latest stable update)

I was pretty sure I haven't used any kind of encryption in my life.

I googled for a while, but failed to find a possible reason for my case.

Then I used the command below to see if there's any encrypted files on my system.

cipher /u /n /h > %UserProfile%\Desktop\Encrypted-Files.txt

And well, it found dozens of encrypted files: Each one is somewhat related to Microsoft, Windows or Windows store apps.

Here are few examples:

E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.9.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxBlockMap.xml

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.9.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxBlockMap.xml

E:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.9.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\xboxservices.config

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.9.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\xboxservices.config

It's pretty clear that the Microsoft Sparta UWP is Gears of War 4. And it's installed on E drive. But the weird thing is the exact same files exist on the drive C (OS drive) as well.

There are also some other files also related with Microsoft in AppData folder.

Few examples:

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\INetCache\SWN3SS7J\image1HG ZMNUG.png

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\AMD\DxCache\cache file.bin

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings\roaming.lock

Another weird thing is these exact files also exist on E drive under WpSystem folder, and in a folder with lots of numbers (starting with S-1-5-21-.....)

Some of the related folders on the C drive are actually look like shortcuts. But the ones on the E drive are not.

I don't know if it can be related to something or can mess up with stuff like this but I'd changed the default App download storage to E drive for Gears of War 4 a few weeks ago. It actually make no sense to have some files related to MSPaint or Cortana on my E drive.

I decrypted most of those files manually by the way. Don't know how to do that for the ones in WindowsApps folder though, since I can't see their content.

Any ideas? What did possibly go wrong? Any way to fix this and prevent to happen again in the future?

:)

supertramp, May 9, 2017
  2. Donna Men Win User

Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...

For further troubleshooting, we suggest that you run a check disk to find corrupted data and fix it. Simply follow these steps:

• Press Windows
      Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But... [​IMG]
      + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • On the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, then hit Enter.
    • Restart your computer.

Should you need further help, let us know.

Donna Men, May 9, 2017
  3. Donna Men Win User

This issue may occur due to file corruption. We suggest that you run System File Checker (SFC) scan to find corrupted files that may cause the issue and fix it. You can check out this
    link for the steps on how to do the SFC scan.

Feel free to let us know if you need further help.

Donna Men, May 9, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...

A small update:

If I switch to local account and switch back to my MS account, the files that I decrypted manually are getting encrypted again.

Same thing happen if I re-register Windows apps.

supertramp, May 11, 2017
  5. Xilnik Win User
    Is BitLocker active? Press the Windows Key and type Manage BitLocker. See if BitLocker was accidentally turned on.

Xilnik, May 26, 2017
  6. supertramp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But... - Similar Threads - Asking File Encryption

2. Recover files backed up from a Bitlocker encrypted Folder My Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover files backed up from a Bitlocker encrypted Folder My Documents: Hello,I had a laptop with "my documents" protected with Bitlocker. Before reinstalling windows on it, I backed up the files, the Bitlocker 48 char key and pfx file.I'm now using a new computer with windows 11 Home and I don't have Bitlocker. How can I decrypt the files? Every...
  3. Recover files backed up from a Bitlocker encrypted Folder My Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover files backed up from a Bitlocker encrypted Folder My Documents: Hello,I had a laptop with "my documents" protected with Bitlocker. Before reinstalling windows on it, I backed up the files, the Bitlocker 48 char key and pfx file.I'm now using a new computer with windows 11 Home and I don't have Bitlocker. How can I decrypt the files? Every...
  4. Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?: I now have a pop up asking me to backup keys on a removable media.I don't have bit locker encryption, or any files encrypted. I ran checkdsk on all my files and drives, and no problems, I rebooted, I powered down and powered back on. I checked the event log for other errors...
  5. Back up files on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up files on Windows 10?: Hello, I would like/must reinstall my laptop. Therefore I want to backup my data. What is the best way to do this, so that I can easily move the data back to the newly installed device. Other question: How can I backup programs so that I can continue to use them after...
  6. Is the notification legit? "Encrypted File System - Back up your file encryption...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is the notification legit? "Encrypted File System - Back up your file encryption...: This notification from "Encrypted File System" showed up today, and it looks off: "Back up your file encryption certificate and key" 1 What I don't like is the generic "Encrypted File System" instead of Bitlocker. 2 The PC's drives have been encrypted with Bitlocker for...
  7. Windows 10 product Key. Don't ask me for the product key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 product Key. Don't ask me for the product key.: Hi everyone! I am installing Windows 10 in a PC's friend ... and she had a hard disk with Windows 10 but I have installed a new ssd and I have a new key producto to install Windows 10. Well, I have been installed from 0 Windows 10, apart of the other one in this new ssd and...
  8. hackers asking me 490$ to remove .cosakos encrypted files

hackers asking me 490$ to remove .cosakos encrypted files: yesterday i faced a problem that all my files are effected by .cosakos ransomeware pls help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hackers-asking-me-490-to-remove-cosakos-encrypted/ac6d6959-5575-490e-a621-befac920c909"
  9. EFS - Back up your file encryption key - taskbar button

EFS - Back up your file encryption key - taskbar button: There were some earlier threads about this issue but vainly searched for a solution/answer why the Encryption File System - Back up your file encryption taskbar button shows up. 1. there are no encrypted files on my HDD : cipher /u /n /h shows no results 2. EFS has not...
  10. Creators Update - back up encryption key message?

Creators Update - back up encryption key message?: I upgraded to the Creators Update yesterday, using the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool. After booting, I got a message recommending that I back up my "file encryption certificate and key". However, I have never used encryption and it is apparently still disabled (from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why am i being asked to backup encryption file system

2. prompt to back up encryption key on Windows 10

3. windows 10 asking me to back up my file encryption key

4. decrypting wpsystem folder