Windows 10: Windows 10 Associations

Discus and support Windows 10 Associations in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I like to use my own picture viewer, browser, word processor, MP3 player, and movie player, not MS products. Is it just me, or does every major Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bobad, Feb 17, 2017.

1. bobad Win User

Windows 10 Associations

I like to use my own picture viewer, browser, word processor, MP3 player, and movie player, not MS products. Is it just me, or does every major Windows update make it harder to associate those files with your chosen programs?

I set the associations, and they work for a while, but eventually, 1 or more revert to the inbred Windows apps.

There's a little app called "StopResettingMyApps", which at first I thought was a dream come true. Even it gets overwhelmed, and eventually 1 or more associations are stolen by a jealous Win10.

I wish every program had an option to LOCK IN associations. What I really wish is that MS would release a version of Windows with no apps, just the OS. I would actually pay more for less.

Is there any talk of this on the MS forums?

Thanks,,,

:)

bobad, Feb 17, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Feb 17, 2017
  3. garym123 Win User
    garym123, Feb 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Associations

Hi, it's possible you are setting the associations from within your programs. This hasn't been supported from Win 8, and may only appear to work until you next log in.

This pretty much covers it, from the Settings and context menu to the control panel:
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10

If after that you find associations reverting, there's something wrong.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 Associations

1. Windows 10 Associations - Similar Threads - Associations

2. diagnostic policy service not working although enabled all associated services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    diagnostic policy service not working although enabled all associated services: As above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-policy-service-not-working-although/ded19144-4ea1-43b1-9b1d-44f9ce43bd21
  3. diagnostic policy service not working although enabled all associated services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    diagnostic policy service not working although enabled all associated services: As above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostic-policy-service-not-working-although/ded19144-4ea1-43b1-9b1d-44f9ce43bd21
  4. How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...: I've tried the command prompt trick. I opened the sims with steam, and it wouldnt work, Can u please send some solutions to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-problem-this-file-does-not-have/d478d6d0-970c-40ac-ae93-8b496334ac51
  5. How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...

How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...: I've tried the command prompt trick. I opened the sims with steam, and it wouldnt work, Can u please send some solutions to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-problem-this-file-does-not-have/d478d6d0-970c-40ac-ae93-8b496334ac51
  6. Prevent switching between multiple virtual desktops when opening a file associated with an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent switching between multiple virtual desktops when opening a file associated with an...: The multiple virtual desktop feature is, in theory, a great idea but I run into a consistent issue with it. Lets say I have Excel open on "Desktop 1". I then create a new desktop, "Desktop 2". If I double click on an Excel file while using Desktop 2, Windows switches me back...
  7. Prevent switching between multiple virtual desktops when opening a file associated with an...

Prevent switching between multiple virtual desktops when opening a file associated with an...: The multiple virtual desktop feature is, in theory, a great idea but I run into a consistent issue with it. Lets say I have Excel open on "Desktop 1". I then create a new desktop, "Desktop 2". If I double click on an Excel file while using Desktop 2, Windows switches me back...
  8. file type eg .pdf association random reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file type eg .pdf association random reset: Some time ago, we successfully used, for example, the association of .pdf files with the Adobe Acrobat DC application using a group policy Default Associations Configuration File.Since the beginning of April with UserChoice Protection Driver v2.1 activated, this mechanism has...
  9. file type eg .pdf association random reset

file type eg .pdf association random reset: Some time ago, we successfully used, for example, the association of .pdf files with the Adobe Acrobat DC application using a group policy Default Associations Configuration File.Since the beginning of April with UserChoice Protection Driver v2.1 activated, this mechanism has...
  10. file type eg .pdf association random reset

in Windows 10 Customization