Windows 10: Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

Discus and support Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So it's been a month that i have been having a glitching windows that i have been clueless at first of why it is doing that , been having "Stub" errors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

So it's been a month that i have been having a glitching windows that i have been clueless at first of why it is doing that , been having "Stub" errors on running anything that requires administrative rights from first go then works from the second go , at first received error I lose Cortana , Search capability and the ability to type in windows settings and apps . Unlike most who probably would reinstall windows just like that and wonder about people who don't , you should know that in this world there are people who install zillions of programs and apps for work and entertainment that would take them months of precious free time to get everything back in place again .

So my first attempts to fix this were recommendations by Microsoft themselves all over the internet to use SFC and Dism which did nothing really , up till i came across a Youtube video that its owner related most "Stub" errors to Nvidia drivers , I went on to check my driver in device manager only to find its version number changed , I know my device version number because it is my favorite version , it runs everything faster than any other version . So I just installed it back again and wooo all "Stub" errors were gone !

Happy with my finding I went on to continue with my life only to find "Stub" errors coming back later making me believe its not a driver problem , but checking again and yes , pretty windows managed to reinstall its glitchy driver again silently ...

(-Edit 1- Yes I did attempt rolling driver back , it still does update again later .)

So here is what the internet offered me and here is how it failed miserably and driver kept coming back :

So bottom line : Yea , you do not own your laptop any more and now if Microsoft wants you to believe its upgrade time they would just throw few drivers on you that would render your system glitchy or like a snail and you can't really do much about it and surprisingly forums tend to copy solution from across ancient platforms believing they all may apply to Windows 10 while they don't , so if you can read this STOP it , Windows 10 is a B!%@#

(-Edit 2- Apparently Microsoft acknowledges Windows Updates Drivers were all messed up in all previous versions to 1607 )
    Although considering I was on that build 14393 which is a valid 16xx version it still didn't work for me , now that I upgraded to build 15063 version 1703 solutions up starting 4 are now working so meh apparently its 2+ years already and Windows 10 is still a work in progress . This kinda explains how the "Windows Live" term originated in their minds . 8)

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  2. R&BZY Win User

Bluetooth headset paired, but can't connect

Right click on the Windows pane at the very bottom left corner. Click on Device Manager. Find Bluetooth and right click on the options there. Click Update Driver and Search Automatically.

I had the opposite problem after the Windows 10 Creators Update. It automatically updated a Bluetooth driver that doesn't work for me. I finally found it by comparing the dates of both and they matched. So I rolled back the update. You can do that by
    following the above and then choose Browse My Computer For Driver Software. When I clicked on that it gave me the option of my previous driver.

R&BZY, Sep 23, 2017
  3. New Lumia 800 update has halved my new phones battery life a day and a half to 16 hours?

Just tried that and it works until the update automatically reinstals again, what the hell is going on?

praxibetelix, Sep 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

If you wish, if disabling (hiding) a specific update hasn't worked for you, you can disable all driver updates.

Please see the Tutorial section. There's one there on that.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  5. nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  6. Have you tried rolling back the driver? That usually works.

TairikuOkami, Sep 23, 2017
  7. updates again a day later , bummer I should have listed that !

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Stop automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows Server content from SuperSite for Windows
    How to disable automatic device driver updates in Windows 10 - TechRepublic
    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

- you've probably seen and/or tried these.

I think you're saying the problem is with Nvidia.. suggest you look at the options for that:

Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner [​IMG]

I.e. the updates AREN'T being delivered by Windows update, so the above methods on drivers won't have any effect

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  9. Not only have I seen or tried , I have strong doubts they were copied without checking if they as solutions do work for windows 10 , for instance : http://winsupersite.com/site-files/w...nstallhero.png this window is often shown in tutorials where i believe it is copied from Windows 8.1 form , while actual Windows 10 form looks like this : https://images.scdn8.secure.raxcdn.c...s-expected.jpg

also my problem isn't Nvidia carrying out the update , it's Windows Update pushing it in on me , and silently installing it and shows an entry of attempt in Updates History .

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  10. You can cripple Windows Update, that will prevent installing drivers as well.

Like by disabling "Network List Service" or even "Network Location Awareness".

Of course, you need to clean Update's cache to prevent it from being installed from there. Code: del "%WINDIR%\Installer\$PatchCache$" /s /f /q del "%WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution" /s /f /q del "%WINDIR%\WinSxS\Backup" /s /f /q[/quote]
    By reinstalling, all of your programs should remain installed, it should just fix Windows.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

TairikuOkami, Sep 23, 2017
  11. By reinstalling, all of your programs should remain installed, it should just fix Windows.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials [/quote] Well like I mentioned up there is a possible less chaotic way which would lead to same effect you are attempting which is setting connection as metered , it stops updates but , is this really how things should go , i mean we need updates , but we need control over which .

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so set your updates to Notify - that means you get notification in your action centre, then you click on the notification, and Settings opens and you can see what the updates are.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

did that , the driver installs silently and an entry is shown in Updates History without any pause or notification or acceptance .

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    As none of the standard techniques work for you, suggest there's something amiss.

You might need to do an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings and see if that fixes anything for you.

Unless there's a particular peculiarity about Nvidia updates:
    Windows 10's Automatic Updates For NVidia Drivers Causing Trouble - Slashdot

- which turns out to be an old story.. note
    You say it isn't this:
    NVIDIA Update|NVIDIA
    Note the discussion here:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-auto-update-/

dalchina, Sep 23, 2017
  15. The question is does the standard techniques work for anybody really ?

Mind you that apparently its not a system error since I got to find out through fixing tutorials that "Stub" errors are mostly caused by Nvidia faulty drivers and having them replaced is recommended to fix them.

Also There is a catch , I am as common as so many users where my laptop ships with Windows 8.1 and i received Windows 10 two years ago as an update , and then I managed to recently buy an upgrade serial from Home to Pro version . I was kind of old school thinking that to upgrade to Pro i needed a setup CD/ISO that i would use to do the upgrade then activate via the serial , I downloaded few RTM ISOs and attempted to use them for upgrades but they all gave out incompatibility errors with my version , I had to contact Microsoft where they directed me to use the serial in Activation form rather and thus i received the Pro as a software update that took less than 10 minutes to accomplish . So the problem would be to find a compatible ISO in my case or else my options are down to System Reset ! not unless anybody know a way around .

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner - Similar Threads - Automatic Driver Updates

2. Windows automatically updating drivers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows automatically updating drivers.: Hello, I have some devices which I want to keep the same driver provided by manufacturer but windows keep replacing them and adding it's own microsoft drivers which doesn't work.I want windows to stop this automatically unnecessary updating drivers....
  3. Windows 10 2004 update to hell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 2004 update to hell: I am tired. I am broken and defeated Why in the hell did you release such a horrible version of windows? The 2004 update has been nothing but blue screens. I just can't take what a pile of **** this version is. How can i get 1909 so i can blow out my machine and go back to...
  4. Intel Driver 15.40.45.5126 for 4th & 5th Gen to hold to - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Intel Driver 15.40.45.5126 for 4th & 5th Gen to hold to - Hell Corner: Several years ago I wrote an article about how a glitch in Intel driver manages to show flickering and artification to proud owners of PCs and laptops of 4th and 5th Generation of Intel(R) HD Graphics Family even in dual GPUs setups . The flickering would still happen in...
  5. Windows 10 Update hell

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update hell: Just was curious if anybody could direct me to resources to help solve my windows 10 update issue. Before I get into it. I've formatted my computer 14 times now, including Zero formatting. I do have a legit copy of windows 10, no viruses, no 3rd party programs, no anti...
  6. Unfixable Disk operation slowdown after KB4471332 update - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unfixable Disk operation slowdown after KB4471332 update - Hell Corner: So basically despite I would have expected a lot of people to have reported this but apparently nobody kind of believe disk IO to be of a significant importance despite we pay dearly just to get an SSD or an Optane drive just because they are faster *sarc So before someone...
  7. Update hell.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update hell.: My machine went down and has put me in limbo after this latest update. It will not let me get back on. The best I can do is get to Command Prompt. Every thing else is an exercise in futility. What can I do to get back into my machine?...
  8. Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner

Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner: I have had a problem losing 2 laptop keyboards to 2 consecutive windows updates where I attempted to tackle the issue and here are my findings since I am starting to see this problem escalating to so many users of the forum and online : 1 - If you are like me with the habit...
  9. Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner

Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner: **This is an informative post , you can skip it if you are just here to help** I have been caught up with an issue with few gamepads i had that worked just fine in the past but been giving me hell lately one windows 10 , the issue lead me to realize few facts that i want to...
  10. Microsoft Store Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Hell Corner: I have 2 laptops running windows 10 version 1709 that managed to develop issues almost the same time : Laptop 1 : Lately managed to hide a lot of store apps icons and tiles from start menu but I can still run them from store itself also leaving at the bottom of start...