Windows 10: Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi?

Discus and support Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On the day Windows 10 was officially launched my Precision M3800 was "upgraded" from 8.1 and I've had no significant problems... until a few minutes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clemenzina, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi?

On the day Windows 10 was officially launched my Precision M3800 was "upgraded" from 8.1 and I've had no significant problems... until a few minutes ago.

I suddenly lost internet connection and the troubleshooter couldn't help, so I shut down via the button in Start8 (I can't be doing with tabletty things).

I noticed that the power button stayed lit up, which it shouldn't do, so eventually I held it down and the laptop booted up to (something like) "Windows update, do not turn off your computer, 100%". It stayed like that for some moments and then reverted back to the beginning and showed the percent progress up to 100% and booted up.

I had to get the troubleshooter to enable my wifi adapter (not alarming, as many laptops I've had have been occasionally unreliable in connecting on boot-up) and resumed what I was doing - and then the internet went down again, saying I have no connections available.

I shut down and restarted again and my usual connection showed "limited" so I chose the newer one (hope you know what I mean, the old one is 24 and the newer one is 5), which connected as limited at first and then normal.

Google has found me instances of older wifi being "broken" by the initial upgrade to Windows 10, but this was just an update, and my laptop is relatively new hardware.

Have others had problems with this latest update?

Can automatic updates be disabled in Windows 10? I understood not, and there's no Windows Update section in Control Panel. I desperately need this laptop not to shut down without warning, and certainly not to cut off my internet connection without warning *Mad

(Sorry this has taken a lot of words, but I wanted you to know more-or-less exactly what happened.)

:)

clemenzina, Aug 16, 2015
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Aug 16, 2015
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? :)

musum, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi?

The problem recurred yet again, but since the reboot I did on that occasion it's been OK. I won't mark this as Solved (unless Admin tells me to), because someone might be aware of action we could take to rectify it without having to reboot numerous times with crossed fingers.

clemenzina, Aug 16, 2015
  5. The problem has not been resolved. I have a D-Link USB Wi-Fi adapter connected to my laptop and odds are about 50% that I will get a connection when it boots up. I don't bother rebooting, I just unplug the USB adapter and plug it back it, that usually results in a connection.

Even when I do get a connection it does not seem to be very stable and it does not work or is very slow with HomeGroup or local network. All the problems disappear when I connect the laptop with an Ethernet cable!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed too. *chuckle

alkaufmann, Aug 16, 2015
  6. fracking4oil, Aug 16, 2015
  7. To be fair, I've had that problem with Windows7, too - not as frequently as 50% of boot-ups, tho, and the failures seem to come in phases and not recur for ages. I also have problems with seeing (let alone accessing) network and Homegroup since 8.1, but have made some forgotten changes found by Googling, which have helped.

Fracking, thank you - I have saved a link to the Dell network drivers, I'm going to wait and see how things go. Maybe I inadvertently interrupted the auto-update (because I had no indication that one was in progress) and that caused the problem.

I "work" on a Win7 laptop and am not going to upgrade it! I hate 8.1 so I did upgrade the M3800.

clemenzina, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi?

I have been doing a bit of searching and discovered that D-Link apologizes for not having Windows 10 drivers available for my Wi-Fi adapter. I also read that their Wi-Fi Connection Manager may be causing problems too. I have it installed on Windows 10 because I did an upgrade instead of a clean install. I think I will be doing a clean install of Windows 10 on that laptop soon. Everything works better after a clean install. *Smile

I uninstalled the D-Link connection manager and when I plugged the adapter into the port Windows could not find a driver. This Wi-Fi adapter is going into my parts box until D-Link comes out with a Windows 10 driver for it. I enabled the Wi-Fi built into the laptop and got a connection. I've tested it and it works fine so far. If I want speed now I guess I will have to connect the laptop to an Ethernet cable.

Now I am waiting for Windows 10 drivers from Asus, Samsung & D-Link. Didn't someone tell them that Windows 10 was coming? *Rolleyes

alkaufmann, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Tell me about cables - it's a wonder I haven't broken my neck yet *Confused Take care.

As for those respected electronics companies - am speechless!

clemenzina, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Milone Win User
    Apparently a lot of electronic components manufacturers didn't get the memo. A lot of us are tearing our hair out (and there's not a lot left) while blaming the stupid computers.

Milone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi?

1. Windows 10 automatic update "broke" wifi? - Similar Threads - automatic update broke

2. Update broke Wifi and USB device connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update broke Wifi and USB device connection: My laptop recently had a windows 10 update which did not go so well due to firewall blocking the update. Since the update my start menu is not opening, wifi and ethernet are not showing up and no USB connections are getting detected.The...
  3. windows 10 network reset broke wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 network reset broke wifi: so for the past 1 month my internet would always show "no internet, secured", and after a few minutes it would connect, but today i decided to try the network reset and it broke the wifi adapter, in the wifi menu, it only shows airplane mode, troubleshooter couldn't identify...
  4. Latest update broke my Wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest update broke my Wifi: Have tried a dozen and one different troubleshooting methods floating around and it will not connect to my network. It's just the disconnected globe symbol in the tray, cannot toggle Wifi on, doing it manually within the network settings doesn't do anything, messing with...
  5. 2004 Update broke wifi

2004 Update broke wifi: After the 2004 update my Wifi has square boxes in the icon. The 2G network connects and is secured but no network THe 5G connects fine but it is slow as it is further away. I have updated the adapter which is intel ac 9560 to the latest driver. No go, then uninstalled and...
  6. Windows Update KB4551762 broke my WiFi

Windows Update KB4551762 broke my WiFi: New to this cause I almost never have problems until now. Recent Windows update KB4551762 has broken my WiFi. I cant connect to my Uverse or even to Open WiFi. I have tried every tip I could find online. I have of course unplugged the router and disconnected cables. I...
  7. Windows 10 update 1909 broke WiFi Intel AC 3168

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update 1909 broke WiFi Intel AC 3168: Intel NUC6CAYH with integrated Intel Wireless AC 3168 card. After Windows update to version 1909, WiFi connection became impossible, because there's no WiFi adapter anymore. Still there are other adapters in Device Manager, including Bluetooth, all in normal working state....
  8. Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi

Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi: Microsoft broke my laptop. Sometime in the past month or two, in one of the several updates to Win10, my WiFi got flaky. I'm running Win10 from Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro. What happens is in one room I can connect to WiFi getting "connected, secured." But as I get closer...
  9. Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi

Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi: Microsoft broke my laptop. Sometime in the past month or two, in one of the several updates to Win10, my WiFi got flaky. I'm running Win10 from Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro. What happens is in one room I can connect to WiFi getting "connected, secured." But as I get closer...
  10. A windows 10 update broke my pc’s WiFi

A windows 10 update broke my pc’s WiFi: Sooo recently windows update apparently forcibly updated my PC (Desktop) while i was at college. An update that broke my PC’s WiFi. I tried to re enable the wifi, but even though the Slider says Wifi capability is on, the WiFi won’t work still due to “The WiFi is still off” i...