Windows 10: Windows 10 automatically updated last night. Won't let me revert back.

Discus and support Windows 10 automatically updated last night. Won't let me revert back. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. i'm hoping someone can help me out. My mother left her laptop on last night while she went to work and it automatically installed a new Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Syl0pt, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Syl0pt Win User

Windows 10 automatically updated last night. Won't let me revert back.

Hi. i'm hoping someone can help me out. My mother left her laptop on last night while she went to work and it automatically installed a new Windows update which I think may be the Creator's Build, but i'm not sure. It looks like this. https://i.imgur.com/90g5SeC.png *Note the taskbar looks much different from previous Win10 taskbars.
    -All i know is it's very different from what she's used to and the option to revert back to a previous build is grayed out. https://i.imgur.com/lVsnQiV.png (Says this option is not available because the PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago, which isn't true. My mother's PC was automatically upgraded last night.)
    -It only gives the options to start up from a device or disc (which we don't have), or Reset This PC, which i don't think will revert back to the previous build.
    -I went into 'System' to try to get more info on whether it's running the Creator's Build, but it says it's running Windows 10 Home.https://i.imgur.com/cGx3xQe.png
    -Any ideas on how to get back to the previous Windows 10 build would be appreciated.

:)

Syl0pt, Jun 4, 2017
  2. C.Fuller Win User

Windows 10 update ran and now various resource programs are missing.. IE camera, calculator etc.

I have the same problem, my photo app ACDSEE AND Virus protection AVG won't load getting .dll files are missing reinstall, but it won't let me uninstall so I can reinstall it. How can I revert back to before the last update of Windows 10 that took almost
    an hour to do last week?

C.Fuller, Jun 4, 2017
  3. Won't let me revert back to Windows 10

I did as instructed and it booted me out of the system. I am on the login screen and the only account available is my local account, but when I try and login it says it has been deactivated and to see my system administrator.

As of right now I am completely locked out of my system

AmaliaTalty, Jun 4, 2017
  4. Windows 10 automatically updated last night. Won't let me revert back.

Hi Syl0pt. Welcome to the TenForums @Syl0pt

Looks like mum is in tablet mode. Click on notification icon, very right in systray. Action center should come up. If in tablet mode, the tablet mode box will be blue. Click once, it should shut it off.

Ken

Edit 1:

Windows key + R, type Winver, then enter. Version 1703 is Creator, 1607 Anniversary.

Caledon Ken, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Syl0pt Win User
    Thanks Caledon Ken, taking it out of Tablet Mode helped. I checked it out and it is version 1607 (Anniversary). But it is still confusing as a lot has changed. There is no desktop anymore (at least not the desktop we're used to), just a bunch of annoying tiles that she never uses. This has to be the most annoying and frustrating update yet due to so much being changed. Is there a way to get the normal desktop back with all her folders and apps she actually uses?

Also since this is a regular Windows update and not the Creators Build, i'm guessing that reverting back to a previous build wouldn't do any good as the next update will just bring the current arrangement back? (ie tiles instead of folders and apps)

I also don't understand why it's saying I can't revert back, even though it was updated last night and NOT over 10 days ago.

Syl0pt, Jun 4, 2017
  6. You are making progress.

You should see your desktop.

Can you insert screen shot. You might also have start screen in full screen mode.

Desktop is still very much part of Windows.

Caledon Ken, Jun 4, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
  8. Syl0pt Win User

Yes, the desktop hasn't changed much since i posted the screenshot in my original post. Taking it out of Tablet mode just added a few more icons to the taskbar. https://i.imgur.com/wyBX2dQ.png I will have to look into starting the screen in Full Screen mode and see if that helps. Not sure how to do that.

Also another side problem which i find strange is that most of the programs I open no longer have the 'minimize' button available. Like in Firefox there's only the 'X' button to close the program. Both the 'Minimize' button and 'Restore Down' button are not there anymore, which i find annoying as well.

I'm wondering if some of these problems (being unable to revert back to previous builds) is part of the update Microsoft released too early, before all the kinks were fixed. Windows 10 Warning: Why you SHOULD NOT download Microsoft’s latest update | Daily Star

I do want to thank you for your help in this. I'm just trying to get used to this new layout and see if it's possible to switch back to the previous layout (regular desktop with folders and apps showing, not tiles). The harder part will be to get my mother used to the new layout.

Syl0pt, Jun 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    You appear to have it set for a Full Screen Start menu. Go to Settings > Personalization > Start scroll down and turn off the last but one switch: Úse Start full screen.

Bree, Jun 5, 2017
  10. Syl0pt Win User
    Thank you. I'll have to try this later (in a few hours) as my mother has to use her laptop at the moment.

Syl0pt, Jun 5, 2017
  11. There is a certain amount of risk with Windows update but a bigger risk in not updating. Media loves to latch on to things to sell.

As you notice you haven't received Creators update, MS is rolling out gradually and when they feel confident you will be scheduled. They did not just release on the world and walk away.

As you are tech support you might want to look into a product like Macrium Reflect. This gives you the ability to fall back from an update or major upgrade. It is free, used by numerous members and will save you hours.

Caledon Ken, Jun 5, 2017
  12. Syl0pt Win User
    Ok well i just turned off the "Start in Full Screen Mode" and everything else in the Start tab 'Settings' and I now have the regular desktop back.

Thank you all for your help.

Syl0pt, Jun 5, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Great! Glad it's all back to normal.

An update shouldn't have changed any of those settings that you had to set back. I suspect your mother may have tried a few things herself and got confused... *Smile

Thema:

1. Windows 10 automatically updated last night. Won't let me revert back. - Similar Threads - automatically updated last

2. it won't let me update my windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it won't let me update my windows: it won't let me update windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-update-my-windows/33d0e54a-aba8-4b89-9cf1-184e5ecc6dba
  3. Windows won't let me update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't let me update: I recently purchased an external SSD and was hoping to install the latest Windows 10 updates on my PC. When I try to do this, however, it says: "Updates are available, but we temporarily need some space to download. Remove some things you don't need right now and we'll try...
  4. Automatic Repair won't let me log in

Automatic Repair won't let me log in: I'm having an issue with Windows 10 in which whenever I boot up my computer, Windows goes into the automatic startup repair. The problem is that whenever I try to enter my password to get past the startup repair screen it keeps saying that my password is incorrect. I have...
  5. W10 Photos App won't let me rotate (it reverts back)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 Photos App won't let me rotate (it reverts back): Hello, I've just gotten all of my 12,000 photos over from iCloud Photos on a big move from Apple to Microsoft. I've let the machine analyse and run through all my photos which is nice - OneDrive is mashing them up into all sorts of cool to look through albums. However, as...
  6. Automatic repair won't let me sign in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic repair won't let me sign in: The problem first occurred when i was playing a game and then it froze and wouldn't let me close it, so i restarted my computer. When i restarted the computer it booted up like normal and after showed a black screen instead of the login menu. After a while the computer would...
  7. Windows update last night

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update last night: Just checkexc what was new after the update applied last night and can't find anything about Microsoft overwriting my personalisations. For instance you have removed my wallpaper and replaced it with a black screen and have changed my screensaver from "Windows 10 is ****" to...
  8. My computer undated last night and it won't let me log in with my Password infact it wont...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer undated last night and it won't let me log in with my Password infact it wont...: s for password but won't accept any text https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-undated-last-night-and-it-wont-let-me/44fdfa05-b8b4-4c18-9cbc-ee59ccaa0f78
  9. Automatic Repair won't let me log in

Automatic Repair won't let me log in: Im having an issue with Windows 10 in which whenever I boot up my computer, Windows goes into the automatic startup repair. The problem is that whenever I try to enter my password to get past the startup repair screen it keeps saying that my password is incorrect. I have...
  10. windows won't let me update

windows won't let me update: windows won't let me update KB2267602. forum help is for windows 8 from 2014. I need current help. thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-wont-let-me-update/69055692-780b-4979-bc81-40b8f378f95c