Windows 10: Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery

Discus and support Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In Windows 10 we create a recovery drive accessed by typing “Create a Recovery drive” in Cortana search bar. This recovery drive allows us to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Caledon Ken, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery

In Windows 10 we create a recovery drive accessed by typing “Create a Recovery drive” in Cortana search bar. This recovery drive allows us to potentially repair our Windows and or restore an Image.

Further in Windows 10 Microsoft has restored the Backup & Recovery process from Windows 7 and has labelled it as such, Backup and Recovery (Windows 7).

As part of the setup up process in Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) we are asked on one final screen to confirm our settings and then click “Save the setting and run backup”. On this screen there is a warning that “A system repair disk maybe required to restore an Image.” The “Repair” (or Start) disk is a Windows 7 concept.

My question. Can I definitely restore the Image created by the “Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)” process with the Windows 10 recovery drive (USB flash drive) or do I still need to create an old windows 7 Start / Repair disk?

I think the wording in the warning needs to be updated. If the Windows 10 recovery drive is required then it should state a “Recovery drive” maybe needed or it should state a Windows 7 repair disk is required.

Any clarification would be appreciated. I also use Image for Windows, from Terabyte inc., to "Image" by boot drive.

Thanks

:)

Caledon Ken, Nov 25, 2016
  2. KenWy Win User

Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery Drive

I’m looking for a definite answer as I’m confused about what media I need to restore an Image.

In Windows 10 we create a recovery drive accessed by typing “Create a Recovery drive” in Cortana search bar. This recovery drive allows us to potentially repair our Windows and or restore an Image.

Further in Windows 10 Microsoft has restored the Backup & Recovery process from Windows 7 and has labelled it as such, Backup and Recovery (Windows 7).

As part of the setup up process in Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) we are asked on one final screen to confirm our settings and then click “Save the setting and run backup”. On this screen there is a warning that “A system repair disk maybe required
    to restore an Image.”

The “Repair” (or Start) disk is a Windows 7 concept.

My question. Can I restore the Image created by the “Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)” process with the Windows 10 recovery drive (USB flash drive) or do I still need to create an old windows 7 Start / Repair disk?

I think the wording in the warning needs to be updated. If the Windows 10 recovery drive is required then state a “Recovery drive” maybe needed or state a Windows 7 repair disk is required.

If a repair disk is required I would ask why? Disks are being phased out and I’m not even sure what media I should be booting from.

Thank You.

KenWy, Nov 25, 2016
  3. KenWy Win User
    Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery Drive

I’m looking for a definite answer as I’m confused about what media I need to restore an Image.

As part of the setup up process in Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) we are asked on one final screen to confirm our settings and then click “Save the setting and run backup”. On this screen there is a warning that “A system repair disk maybe required
    to restore an Image.”

The “Repair” (or Start) disk is a Windows 7 concept.

My question. Can I restore the Image created by the “Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)” process with the Windows 10 recovery drive (USB flash drive) or do I still need to create an old windows 7 Start / Repair disk?

I think the wording in the warning needs to be updated. If the Windows 10 recovery drive is required then state a “Recovery drive” maybe needed or state a Windows 7 repair disk is required.

If a repair disk is required I would ask why? Disks are being phased out and I’m not even sure what media I should be booting from.

Thank You.

KenWy, Nov 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery

Hi, the verdict here is you're far better off using a 3rd party disk imaging program.
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - updated and supported

Several threads where problems were reported with Windows 7 Backup & Restore have gone unresolved.

Macrium Reflect (free); Veeam Endpoint... + their boot medium + external storage.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2016
  5. Thanks. I do use a third party from Terebyte but I also use Windows. Haven't had an issue getting back files. Now I've jinxed myself.

Tried Macrium Reflect with Win 10. Did an image and immediately tried a restore with a different size drive. No go, their support said it should work but we were never able to succeed.

Hoping someone has had experience with Windows Backup with 10 can answer question. Guess I will need to run test.

Thanks again for advice.

Caledon Ken, Nov 26, 2016
  6. Test run.

You can access the "Image" created in Backup & Restore (Windows 7) from the Recovery ( USB Flash ) Drive created as part of the Windows 10 process.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery

1. Windows 10 - Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) - Repair Disk or Recovery - Similar Threads - Backup Recovery Repair

2. windows 10 recovery disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 recovery disk: my MS office win 10 got crashed so pleased send link for download of it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-recovery-disk/dddc9e37-6c41-4965-bf0c-fe6c3fcc0baf
  3. windows 10 recovery disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 recovery disk: my MS office win 10 got crashed so pleased send link for download of it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-recovery-disk/dddc9e37-6c41-4965-bf0c-fe6c3fcc0baf
  4. windows 10 recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Windows 7: After careful consideration, I decided to reset my computer's Windows 7 to its original state. But I don't know how? Currently, there are no active computer stores in my area and I have to do this alone. This is also my first time resetting Windows 7. Please guide me. Thanks...
  6. Windows 7 Recovery

Windows 7 Recovery: When I click "verify" on the ISO Download it keep saying Error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-recovery/e63f4510-4612-46b1-9455-ebc7c6bcc838
  7. Recovery to Windows 7

Recovery to Windows 7: I update my OLD laptop this Monday but now I want to go back to my Windows 7. I do the direction of someone in Microsoft Community but now I can't recovery to windows 7. Settings => Recovery and I can't see the recovery to windows 7 anymore ( before do the direction it's...
  8. Windows 10 recovery disk

Windows 10 recovery disk: I have upgraded my windows OS from 8.1 to Windows 10 Home. I need to know the course of action where I can make a complete recovery DVD disk/USB whichever preferable, just in case, in future windows 10 OS freezes / goes bad. Also I have been informed there won't be any...
  9. recovery disk for Windows 10

recovery disk for Windows 10: I need to make a recovery disk for Windows 10. How do I do that? Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/recovery-disk-for-windows-10/c602d599-6b50-45d3-bd94-2b8d48398ec0
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks

Reinstalling Windows 7 using Recovery Disks: Here's my situation. Prior to doing my Windows 10 upgrade on my HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook, I successfully created the 3 Recovery disks. Prior to that I was receiving messages that a hard drive failure is eminent and I should back up my files and replace the hard drive....