Windows 10: Windows 10 behaving sluggish if at all after an hour

Discus and support Windows 10 behaving sluggish if at all after an hour in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ever since either Sep. 29th or 30th, my laptop's been sluggish and sometimes entirely unresponsive. I can get it to somewhat behave for about an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Reaga, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Reaga Win User

Windows 10 behaving sluggish if at all after an hour

Ever since either Sep. 29th or 30th, my laptop's been sluggish and sometimes entirely unresponsive.

I can get it to somewhat behave for about an hour by restarting, but sometimes it gets so bad I can't restart normally and must manually power off the laptop.

All I'm usually running in the foreground is Chrome, but Chrome/File Explorer/other applications are often going unresponsive, attempting to open the Start Menu/Task Manager/other Windows features either take several minutes or don't happen at all. In addition, pages on Chrome are taking near-dial up time to load, with Chrome claiming "Waiting on cache".

I have tried:
    CCleaner to clean up excess files and clear basic Registry issues
    Malware Bytes (came up with nothing)
    Windows Memory Diagnostic (I can't seem to find the log files in event viewer besides one saying the test was run).
    sfc/scannow (came up with nothing)
    Kaspersky virus scan (claimed it would take 3 days, so only got 1/4 done with the scan since my comp was slow enough without the scan)
    Disk Defrag (Only got to pass 7 after 8 hours).

That's everything I could think to try, and I'm between jobs so getting a professional isn't an option atm.

Laptop specs:

Samsung Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z5AH)
    Windows 10
    Intel Core i7, 8Gb Ram 1Tb HDD
    Intel HD 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 640M

Any help is greatly appreciated, I need the laptop to continue job hunting.

:)

Reaga, Oct 5, 2016

2. Garmin Connect won't download to Lumia 950

Well it's about 8 hours and three soft resets later and now it allows me to install the app. Guess my Windows Phone was feeling fussy or sluggish or obstinate earlier today. All good now (after wasting time on the phone with B2X, their subcontracted mobile
    tech support, and also with Microsoft's tech support).

DougBurke1, Oct 5, 2016
  3. windows 10 password forgot and right click sluggish after windows 10 upgrade problem

windows 10 password forgot and right click sluggish after windows 10 upgrade problem

mikeSHANNON2, Oct 5, 2016
  4. Reaga Win User

Extra Note:

Disk Usage is shown as 100%, but I'm hoping there's a free method to fix this rather than replacing my HDD.

I also cannot get into the bottom of this thing without breaking it (it's one of those​ laptops), so an HDD replacement may as well mean buying a new laptop.

Reaga, Oct 6, 2016
  5. Elias Win User
    If the disk usage is shown at 100% this probably means you have a virus. To fix this there are two options get an antivirus (Avast, Avira etc) or reset your PC. To reset the PC go to Settings>Update & Security>Recovery. Under Reset This PC on the recovery page there is a 'Get Started' button. Click on it and choose Remove Everything. Then choose the top option. Make sure to backup your files (Don't backup any file that is from an app since it might be the virus) I hope this helps.

Elias, Oct 6, 2016
  6. ARNaja Win User
    Have you tried to restart it ? Open task manager and than resource monitor. See what programs that use most of your HDD first. Are they (activity that use most of your HDD) from windows or not.

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  7. chrismine Win User
    I have a similar problem on desktop pc. Still investigating..

chrismine, Oct 6, 2016
  8. ARNaja Win User

Is it caused by system activity (such as "system" or "host process") ?

ARNaja, Oct 6, 2016
  9. chrismine Win User
    Not sure, I see high disk usage with page file. PC does have 4GB Ram.

chrismine, Oct 6, 2016
  10. Reaga Win User
    Tried virus scan, as stated the scan had an estimated completion of 3 days so I quit. Could try again, I suppose.

A back-up would take awhile as well, but may be more worth it

Reaga, Oct 6, 2016
  11. Elias Win User
    I recommend for you to reset the PC

Elias, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 behaving sluggish if at all after an hour - Similar Threads - behaving sluggish hour

2. Sluggish Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sluggish Windows 10: Hi From a restart, gradually over a few days performance reduces to snail's pace until I do a Shutdown. Have run CCleaner and AVG, which found nothing. Help appreciated....
  3. Windows 10 sluggish response

Windows 10 sluggish response: Hi, I have a major issue with my system running Win 10. The system had been upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I noticed that it seemed to be taking a long time to boot > 20 mins. I tried running Ashampoo Optimizer and Chk=eck Disk the HDD. There was a short term benefit,...
  4. Computer is sluggish after Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer is sluggish after Windows 10 updates: This happens pretty regularly. When my computer installs a Windows 10 update the last one being 2 days ago my computer runs a little sluggish for a few days afterwards. This seems to happen after just about every update. My browser runs a little slower, my email outlook...
  5. Windows 10 Sluggish

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Sluggish: I have been getting a strange lagging in Windows 10 lately. I first noticed it when playing an RTS game and the screen scrolling was jumpy. I thought it was the game, but when I dropped to windows, the mouse was laggy there as well. Not by much, but noticable. I also noticed...
  6. Windows 10 1909 sluggish after ~2 hours use on Word/Excel

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 1909 sluggish after ~2 hours use on Word/Excel: First post. I've had an ongoing problem with Windows 10 for the last couple of years. Basically when using a second screen a Dell P2415Q on my laptop I found that the whole system become sluggish after a couple of hours. I assumed it was my Dell XPS 9560, and upgraded the...
  7. Laptop extremely sluggish after Windows 10 reinstallation

Laptop extremely sluggish after Windows 10 reinstallation: I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop. After installation today is day 3. The laptop is extremely sluggish to execute any command. It takes several minutes to open, for example, internet explorer or for that matter any program. I tried optimizing the drive, to no avail....
  8. Sluggish windows after gaming

Sluggish windows after gaming: It only seems to happen after I've played Forza Horizon 3 along with the Xbox app. Playing Tom Clancy's Wildlands does not have the same effect. Drop boxes, context menus, and the icon box on the lower right corner appear empty. Windows sometimes open with only an...
  9. Sluggish desktop when all windows are minimized

Sluggish desktop when all windows are minimized: I have this very weird problem using Windows 10. If I minimize all my windows, the desktop is very sluggish, selecting icons takes a second or two. But when I restore a window and handle my desktop right beside it, it's extremely responsive. It's completely stable behavior,...
  10. Windows 10 suddenly sluggish

Windows 10 suddenly sluggish: Checked cpu/gpu/hd/memory usage - normal. Changed swap size to recommended - no changes. Ran SFC and fixed everything - still as sluggish. It seems games are running just fine and all, but the general UI and everything else seems so sluggish (the general response time of...