Windows 10: Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up

Discus and support Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hai lets get straight to the point. recently i updated windows insider on the slow ring. after that, i noticed my systems arent working too well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iDamn, Sep 5, 2016.

1. iDamn Win User

Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up

hai

lets get straight to the point. recently i updated windows insider on the slow ring. after that, i noticed my systems arent working too well. one time, i couldnt shut down the pc. and then, now i cant boot up as its just blank with cursor when i move it around. heres what ive done

- ctrl + alt + delete doesnt work.
    - any key for that matters doesnt work when the screen is blank.
    - tried startup fix, couldnt be done.
    - uninstalled disppay adapter as suggested by microsoft, no luck.
    - used to be able to go into safemode but not anymore.
    - did a system restore to 9/2 date this year but after restarted, still blank with the cursor.
    - did a windows reset, surprisingly still blank with the cursor. (i chose the option to keep my files)
    - nothing in taskmanager (runonce.exe)
    - fast startup option disappeared. only hibernate and lock option available.
    - also did the cmd backup thingy in the advanced startup found on youtube but no workio.

im running out of ideas and im panicking. please help me guys, i really dont want my pc to die.

:)

iDamn, Sep 5, 2016
  2. 007IND Win User

windows 10 creator update black screen when booting

Hello, I am facing black screen issue during boot up process. Every time during boot up black screen appears for 1 minute or 2 minutes then the windows 10 lock screen appear . please help me. Due to this problem I formatted my laptop and again install
    windows 10 creator update using clean install of windows defender. but same problem appears every time during boot up.

007IND, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Stuck on black screen with mouse

i upgraded to windows 10 and on boot up i just got a black screen with a mouse on it

AdamPowell99, Sep 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

- suggests it's not seeing a disk at all. Nothing to boot from.

I don't know what sort of PC you have- nothing in specs- if a desktop, could even check physical connections.

Try booting from this:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if you can see your disk.

Else you could boot from a Win 10 bootable disk or USB drive and navigate to a command prompt. Now (remembering the drive letters will be different) see if you can see your Windows drive or partition.

If you can, you can try Startup Repair from your Win 10 bootable medium.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  5. iDamn Win User
    Alright I've figured out the way to get past the blank screen with cursor. but now, I want to install an older version of Windows 10 just to roll back from this anniversary update nonsense.

once i've used rufus to create a bootable usb, PC doesnt read the usb when booting up. i mean it says press anything to boot from USB but then when i click anything, it'll just be black screen with a flashing underscore (_). that means it cant read my usb right? i dont know what i did wrong. i tried 2 different pendrive. 1 with rufus and another with poweriso.

any idea how to get around this problem?

iDamn, Sep 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you upgraded to the anniversary edition < 10 days ago you can roll back to the previous build.
    (Look at your C: - if Windows.old is NOT present it's too late).

Another option is to restore your system image or disk image of 1511 that you created. (Are you in the habit of using disk imaging? This is a great way to escape from problems from disk failure to an unbootable PC to user error by restoring to a previous working state- strongly recommended here).
    But if you haven't got images of build 1511, you can't do that either.

What is your specific problem with the anniversary edition? (There are plenty widely publicised, but I, for example, haven't experienced them, fortunately).

Otherwise you can clean install 1511, and if you have Pro, defer the upgrade.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  7. iDamn Win User
    yeah rolling back is not an option for me cause i no longer have the Windows.old folder.

i have a "Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us_14372.iso" and i used rufus to create a bootable disk on my USB, but the thing is i cannot boot from it since PC are unable to read it. it might be just blank screen with underscore flashing or an orange colored stripes with the underscore flashing. either way, can't do anything except Ctrl+Alt+Del

the exact problem that im having with the anniversary update is, freezing on startup IF and only IF my network ethernet cable is connected to the PC. the PC can run just fine without ethernet plugged in. but it can be plugged in after a few while.

the next problem is, Windows Store/Command Prompt/Notifications - could possibly freeze my PC. i tried going to the store to download a few programs after a reset, got frozen when attempting to login to Microsoft Account (or is this another issue; Microsoft Account?). and then I realized whenever there is a notification message popping out from the right side of the screen, PC froze when clicking X. fixed this by disabling notifications all together. and then cmd, did sfc /scannow and resulting a freeze. even some other commands that provides a scanning process will result into a freeze.

the only way to get out from the situation is a hard reboot.

iDamn, Sep 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  9. iDamn Win User
    ah now i know that the iso i downloaded was at fault. i was assuming it was my USB.

well, i downloaded the .iso using that convenient software and returned back to build 1511 10586.164. so far so good, i don't experience any errors that i've been experiencing with the new anniversary update. there's a warning about my failing hard disk though but i doubt that warning is true. i checked "chkdsk" and it stated no errors. so i just disabled the warning.

thanks for guiding me through my hard time, sir Dalchina

iDamn, Sep 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Good.. now you need to defer the upgrade in Settings, and hope MS eventually provides updates to make 1607 work for you.. just don't hold your breath.

Also, if you haven't yet got into the habit, start using disk imaging so you can recover from disasters from a failed disk to an unbootable PC (other hardware faults aside) to user error to some unresolvable problem.

Recommended here: Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage.

Images can be routinely updated- if you use an SSD + USB3 ait's pretty fast.

Gives you a good chance of restoring your PC to a previous working state without technical help.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  11. iDamn Win User
    oh damn..

it was all just fine. then i left the pc running for around an hour, and when i came back, the screen was on "Press any buttons to boot up from.. something". the screen that leads nowhere. have to tap on the power button and turn it back on. *sigh*

what seems to be the cause for this one?

iDamn, Sep 9, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you need to start checking your hardware for reliability, unless you've got a virus... or there was a power glitch.. lightning..???

You can have a look at your event log (event viewer) and see if that helps, and your reliability history (type 'reliability' in Cortana's search bar) might highlight sthg.

But if it is a hardware problem, in particular an erratic one, that could be tricky to find without being able to swap kit in and out experimentally.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  13. iDamn Win User

there was no lightning, there was no virus.

tbh i never really understood event log. but here is the exact message it gave me after shutting off.

Reboot and select proper boot device.
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

just for the info, when i was playing rocket league for about an hour, there wasnt any shut down. if its idle, then poof to that black page.

kinda wish its the harddisk so that gives me a reason to get atleast 1tb harddisk. but still

iDamn, Sep 9, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this is really like #1. Failure to find a boot device.

I can only suggest you have a disk problem or an unreliable connection, or even a problem on your MBO.

I'm not familiar with desktops, but you might try a different connection for your hard disk, or (at least for test purposes) swap your hard disk temporarily and see if the same thing happens.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  15. iDamn Win User
    i just boot up my desktop and i've been logged in with temporary profile.

i have no idea how to configure or play around with the hard disk. only know cpu ram and gpu. others, not so much.

iDamn, Sep 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Black Screen Boot up - Similar Threads - Black Screen Boot

2. Black screen after boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after boot up: i have really big problem please help aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHello, Microsoft. I have a big question to ask you. You see, I own a Toshiba A665 laptop from 2010 running Windows 10, and it works really well, until just now. I was trying to open the Google Chrome browser, but it just...
  3. black screen after booting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen after booting up: my PC black screen after booting up, when i boot up my pc it takes about 40-50 second till my monitor is turn on and show some signal, after that the monitor just turn on and stuck on black screen, i have no visual on mouse cursor, and my keyboard didn't work too... i tried...
  4. Computer not booting up Black Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer not booting up Black Screen: How do I download a boot disk to USB ?Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-booting-up-black-screen/49411470-d6d0-4f39-9d6b-60e0b11414d4
  5. Windows boots up into a black screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows boots up into a black screen.: So what happened was I tried dual booting Linux mint but It didn't show an "install with windows" option. So I read on the internet that disabling fast startup can help. So I disabled fast startup. First 3 or 4 startups were normal. But then I plugged in another usb which in...
  6. Windows black screen after booting up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows black screen after booting up: I'm using windows in mac book pro by dual boot and haven't encountered any error since 2 yrs . Yesterday night it said update and shutdown , so i did and went to bed . And today when i tried to switch on my mac , windows booted up and it shows blank screen and i don't know...
  7. Black screen/ no boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen/ no boot up: Hi, Recently computer stopped booting up. What happens is, I power it on, the flash screen comes up, then it says loading operating system and then it just goes to a black screen and stays like it. This happened ever since i tried to boot into safe mode and upon restart...
  8. Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor

Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor: I shut down my laptop properly - no hard boot - and the next time I turned it on, I got a black screen with the cursor. I have tried a bunch of things but to no avail. I don't have any peripherals attached. Everything was working fine until the last shut down, all...
  9. Black Screen When Booting Up

Black Screen When Booting Up: Hi, when i boot up my laptop it has a black screen but after a while it goes to windows i have switched the hard drive from my Toshiba L755 where i first experienced the black screen but it never booted up to windows. When i switched the hard drive to my other laptop (Dell...
  10. Black Screen/Crash on boot up

Black Screen/Crash on boot up: Hi All, I took advantage of all the Black Friday deals and built a new 8700k Coffee Lake PC. However, today I noticed after cold booting - right before getting to the Win10 login screen, my monitor went black. Almost like it lost signal - Screen went black, my monitor...