Windows 10: Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on Windows 10 boot manager installation. Here's my scenario: I have an SSD with windows 10 and I wanted to have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HotoCoti, Dec 6, 2017.

1. HotoCoti Win User

Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on Windows 10 boot manager installation. Here's my scenario: I have an SSD with windows 10 and I wanted to have a separate HDD with windows 10 also, I want to keep for various projects and trying new software out. Ideally, I wanted to swap between the drives using the BIOS (F12) and keep the SDD start up time to a minimum.

I have installed Win 10 on the HDD but the Windows Boot Manager now controls which image I boot into, either the SSD or HDD. I have set the default to the SDD so it boots up in around 30 seconds, prior to the boot manager install it was more or less instant. It wouldn't be a problem with two HDD but I've paid for a fast SSD and it's back to slow start up times.

So two questions:
    Is there any way I can keep the boot partitions separate so I can choose which drive I want to use via the BIOS and keep the PC really fast for the image I use most on the SSD?
    If it's too complex is there a way I can remove the boot manager and just go back to a single image on my SSD? I'd format the other drive and use it as storage.

BTW - I have two licenses
    Thanks

:)

HotoCoti, Dec 6, 2017

2. Win 10 won't boot from SSD after HDD removal nor after HDD return. Need expert help

Hi all the good people!

Need help. as the title says, cannot boot from SSD after I removed the HDD, which also had win 10 installed. I was running the dual boot and always chose the win 10 installed on ssd.

Later I removed the HDD and it stopped booting from SSD, however even after I returned the HDD, still it won't boot from SSD. Can still boot from hhd, but that's not what I want. disk part shows 2 partitions on SSD:

Partition 1: type reserved 128 MB was a msr partition, but I formatted to fat32

Partition 2: type system 238 GB. When booting from HDD in disk manage this ssd partition shows as efi system partition.

I would like to boot from SSD ideally if not possible, at least be able to accesses data on ssd when booting from HDD and save data I need, but since it shows as efi system it doesn't have a letter assigned and I cannot assign it manually neither.

Any hope for me?

Thanks!

Victor

VictorGyulnazaryan, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Russell61 Win User
    System Reserve Partition

In installing Windows 10 on my PC with an SSD and HDD I ended up with the OS on both drives and booting from the HDD. I now have the computer booting from the SSD as I initially planned and have reformatted the HDD to eliminate the extra copy of the OS.
    However, I still have a "System Reserve Partition" on both drives. Can I remove the partition on the HDD(which does not contain the OS)? How do I go about that?

Russell61, Dec 6, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Run > Msconfig, delete entry you don't want to be in the menu.

Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD [​IMG]

CountMike, Dec 7, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    The way to make it so you can boot from either, switching in bios is to disconnect SSD and reinstall Windows 10 on HDD is to it has its own system reserved or EFI partition rather than sharing one on SSD.

More tricky if you want to keep installed version on HDD i.e. you will need then copy the EFI partition from SSD (or system reserved partition) to HDD before disconnecting SSD. If a system reserver partition, you will need to make it active as well. Minitool Partition Wizard Free is good to copy partition.

Once copied then disconnect SSD and boot from HDD and delete boot entry for SSD from MS config. This is not needed if you clean installed to HDD.

Finally, replace SSD and boot from that and remove boot entry using MS config.

cereberus, Dec 7, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Shrink the OS on the HDD by about 150MB. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free is very good for that. Then open a Command Prompt or PowerShell and run diskpart.

Once in diskpart the commands are:
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number for the HDD
    create part efi
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign letter=t
    exit

Then in a command prompt (admin) or "run as administrator" command prompt run:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f all

Note - the drive letter in red needs to be the Windows installation on the HDD. If you are booted into the OS on the HDD, it should be C:. It might be E: or F: or something else if you are booted into the OS on the SSD. Just make sure you do the above commands all from the same OS.

That should make the HDD bootable by itself. When you are done, and it is booting from F12, you can remove the drive letter T: from the EFI partition, and remove the dual boot menu from the SSD by using the msconfig command.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2017
  7. HotoCoti Win User
    Great, thanks for the replies. I will take a look at the weekend and report back *Smile

HotoCoti, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Boot manager removal for dual OS on SSD and HDD - Similar Threads - Boot manager removal

2. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  3. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all, I am Dizah. I recently upgraded my computer with a V-GEN SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I cloned my HDD to my SSD. I changed the boot priority 1 as my SSD and disable the boot priority 2. The restart process happened, I successfully signed in to my...
  4. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  6. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD: Hey all,I recently upgraded my computer with a Samsung SSD, I installed it properly and it works. I transferred my HDD to my SSD including the OS. When using the BIOS to setup my SSD as startup, I encounter a problem. So firstly, If I disable my HDD and have my boot priority...
  7. Switching Windows Boot Manager from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Dual-Boots OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Boots OS: Hello, I am a Gamer Who is Having a Very Old PC bought at 2012 I am Using Windows 10, My PC Has 2GB RAM, and 2.8GHz Intel Pentium Processor. Windows 10 uses huge amount of ram, especially Windows Security Uses it. Normally, The Windows 10 Uses Half Of My RAM 47~60%...
  9. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  10. Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd

Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd: I have cloned my ssd to hdd using macrium and used easybcd for dual booting.but now i only want to boot from hdd and remove windows os from ssd.what should i do?...