Windows 10: Windows 10 bootable USB

Discus and support Windows 10 bootable USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've just upgraded. I was previously on 8.1 and frequently used System Restore and Backup to generate a recovery image of my windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jra505, Aug 1, 2015.

1. jra505 Win User

Windows 10 bootable USB

Hi,

I've just upgraded.

I was previously on 8.1 and frequently used System Restore and Backup to generate a recovery image of my windows installation. In the event that I ever needed to restore an image, I used a bootable recovery USB - if memory serves me correctly, I needed to create a new USB when I moved to 8.1 because the one for 8 did not work with a 8.1 image.

I assume I now need to create a new one for 10, however I cannot find out how you do it.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks,

:)

jra505, Aug 1, 2015

2. Cannot access desktop PH Windows 10

You need to boot from system recovery disc or Windows 10 bootable USB and not from the installed operating system. Plug in the bootable Windows 10 USB, and follow the steps mentioned in that guide. P.S. You'll need another Windows machine to create bootable
    USB.

Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 bootable USB

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  5. jra505 Win User
    Thanks very much for the post.

Unless I've misunderstood, those instructions are for creating a bootable USB from which you can install a fresh installation of Windows 10. All I am after is a bootable USB which allows you to access the recovery options, one of which is to restore a backed up image.

Thanks,

jra505, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Try this:

Create a recovery drive

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select Delete. If not, select Finish.

Ztruker, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Fires Win User
    What size in GB should the USB drive be?

Fires, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member
  9. jra505 Win User
    jra505, Aug 2, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just a FYI, that an installation USB will also let you boot to the recovery options. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option5

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    I get the same error when I try to create the Recovery drive too.

Ztruker, Aug 2, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Currently, folks have been getting that error when the Back up system files to the recovery drive check box is ticked.

Leaving it unchecked should allow it to successfully create a recovery drive. *Smile

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  13. jra505 Win User

Windows 10 bootable USB

yep, can confirm that works - thanks!

jra505, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Does that make the drive less useful?

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would make the recovery drive to only be able to be use to boot to advanced startup.

Personally, I prefer to create a Windows 10 installation USB for more flexibility.

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 bootable USB

1. Windows 10 bootable USB - Similar Threads - bootable USB

2. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  4. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  5. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  6. C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb: I am trying to recover unuploaded OneDrive documents from a Dell Optiplex 7780 running Windows 11 that I got locked out of. I assume there should be a folder on the C drive where the un-uploaded documents would be stored. My plan was to use an Ubuntu bootable USB to access...
  7. C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb

C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb: I am trying to recover unuploaded OneDrive documents from a Dell Optiplex 7780 running Windows 11 that I got locked out of. I assume there should be a folder on the C drive where the un-uploaded documents would be stored. My plan was to use an Ubuntu bootable USB to access...
  8. I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I...: I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I SO files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-someone-to-create-a-bootable-usb-of/925ab170-8dc2-47b5-9e27-53abbefdf2fc
  9. I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I...

I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I...: I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I SO files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-someone-to-create-a-bootable-usb-of/925ab170-8dc2-47b5-9e27-53abbefdf2fc
  10. I need someone to create a bootable USB of Windows7 or10 for me. I have all the necessary I...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade