Windows 10: Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only

Discus and support Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I wanted to know if anyone could help with the below. I currently have a Windows 10 laptop that was working without issues for a while,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bebuuk, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bebuuk Win User

Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only

Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone could help with the below.

I currently have a Windows 10 laptop that was working without issues for a while, however after a restart the laptop appears to load windows but never get to the login screen, only show a blank screen with only a mouse icon visible.

I have tried various Windows supplied options with the following outputs:

1. Boot into safe mode (with and without network) - this again only loads to a blank screen with only mouse icon visible
    2. Window reset - appears to get stuck on 8% - only to show an error saying reset could not happen, reverting changes (option to reset with files saved was chosen - as current files are required)
    3. Start Up Repair - issue not resolved
    4. System Restore and System Image Recovery - N/A as Windows cannot find previous image or restore point
    5. Booted in Low-Resolution video - again, same issue is experienced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated *Smile

:)

bebuuk, Jan 3, 2016

2. Blank Screen after Windows 10 Install

This still has not worked for me.... I boot up and get blank screen with the cursor only after I move the mouse around the screen...

I have tried this this and a couple of other solutions, to include trying to boot into the windows safe mode.

MichaelBRaye, Jan 3, 2016
  3. LJH FL Win User
    Windows 10 install failure black screen with mouse arrow

Have a similar issue. 10 worked fine for 2 days. Then after creating a restore USB the screen went blank with only the cursor. Restart slowly gets to the sign on page. Enter password and get welcome screen with circling dots. Then the screen goes
    blank but shows cursor and occasional system busy cursor. Tried to use alternate boot up which gives the window logo and then goes to the blank screen with cursor. Hardware diagnostics are fine and pass the tests. Cannot get to setup to restore Windows
    10 or do anything.

LJH FL, Jan 3, 2016
  4. bebuuk Win User

To add:

When the blank screen appears with cursor, it was noted that shortcut key for opening narrator worked and displayed the box fine. However the rest of the screen was black.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

bebuuk, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Private Win User
    Any chance to know, why did you restart? Changes you have made take effect upon that.

Private, Jan 6, 2016
  6. bebuuk Win User
    well technically not restart, i have a habit of shutting down my laptop when finished. One day when switching back on, the black screen with cursor appeared *Sad

bebuuk, Jan 6, 2016
  7. Private Win User
    Hard to revert changes without backups, at least System Protection should be enabled.

Watch the following video, hope your problem is identical and get sorted out. See: Youtube

Expand the descriptions to see extra tips from the uploader.

Private, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 booting into blank screen with mouse cursor only - Similar Threads - booting blank screen

2. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen with only cursor showing: Please as regards the blank screen with only cursor I followed one of your instructions that involved inputing explorer.exe at task manager the option for run new task please how long am I meant to wait before I can finally access my screen...
  3. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank screen with only cursor showing: Please as regards the blank screen with only cursor I followed one of your instructions that involved inputing explorer.exe at task manager the option for run new task please how long am I meant to wait before I can finally access my screen...
  4. Blank screen with only cursor showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 blank screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 blank screen with cursor: I’ve got a problem with my pc where when it isn’t in winRE I get an infinite boot loop and when I attempt to get into winRE it goes to a blank screen with a cursor. On the boot loop I can’t use my keyboard or mouse, and on the blank screen none of the keyboard commands seem...
  6. Random Blank blue screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Blank blue screen with mouse cursor: Hello, I have this desktop with Windows 10 that randomly gets a blank blue screen with nothing (not BSOD) (this not happens at login) Mouse works but nothing else... I know i can get out of that with task manager and login/logout, but this is a Work PC from someone else and...
  7. Windows 10 Black Screen only Mouse Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Black Screen only Mouse Cursor: Where do i begin. So about 3 days ago my PC was working completely fine. I started it up and before the Windows 10 Sign In.... nothing. Black screen, no desktop, no welcome screen, nothing. If i move my mouse it appears and that's it. Just my mouse and an empty void. Ctrl Alt...
  8. Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blank screen with mouse cursor only after upgrading to 1803: My friend has a two-year-old Lenovo G40-70 laptop and it was upgraded to Windows version 1803 recently. Upon restart from the upgrade it only presents a blank desktop and a movable mouse cursor. Tried to boot into laptop with low resolution/safe mode gives the same result....
  9. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...
  10. Blank screen with mouse cursor after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank screen with mouse cursor after login: It's all good, @copiman. I could say the same thing myself: I keep learning (and doing) more myself, thanks to all the fascinating stuff going on and being discussed here. Keep it up! Thanks, --Ed--

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 start up only shows mouse

2. blank windows blank screen with mouse

3. When does ten not booting up all the shows is a blank screen with the mouse poiinter

4. windows booting only mouse,
  5. windows 10 blank screen with mouse only