Windows 10: windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive

Discus and support windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, yesterday I installed an internal 3tb hard drive and I formatted it everything was alright. But today as I turned the pc on at booting the windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by claydavis21, Dec 24, 2016.

1. windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive

Hi, yesterday I installed an internal 3tb hard drive and I formatted it everything was alright. But today as I turned the pc on at booting the windows 10 logo apaered but the circle under it didn't. I restarted the pc and in the bios boot menu, I selected my original hdd, witch contains the OS and it booted fine*Smile Now if I turn the computer on I always have to manually select my original hdd otherwise the os will not start. How can I tell windows 10 to boot from the original hard drive?

:)

claydavis21, Dec 24, 2016
  2. Smorboll Win User

Windows 10 Repair problems

Use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to install Windows 10 on a USB drive. Then, shut down your computer and remove the other hard drive, replacing it with an empty one. Restart your
    computer from the USB (you can change the boot sequence in BIOS) and install Windows 10 to the new hard drive (NOT THE ONE THAT HAD THE ISSUES). Now, once you can boot into Windows 10 from the new hard drive, you can shut down the computer and plug the other
    one in, in addition to the new one with the clean install. Then, at reboot, go into BIOS and ensure the boot sequence will boot to the new hard drive. Then, you can probably go and refresh your PC and choose the old drive that was having problems.

Sorry if this is confusing. There's a lot in here. If you are having issues, feel free to keep asking any questions you may have. windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive :)

Media Creation Tool: Download Windows 10

Smorboll, Dec 24, 2016
  3. rmcsbuck Win User
    Burning Windows 10 to disc

I am about to change hard drives because my laptop will not detect the hard drive that is in it. will my restore flash drive work on the new hard drive? I am not sure windows 10 will get on it. The hard drive is coming empty.

rmcsbuck, Dec 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive

dalchina, Dec 24, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, Move the OS drive to First boot device. Move the empty HDD to the last boot device or out of the boot order all together. Save and Exit.

spunk, Dec 24, 2016
  6. I already tried this solution but it did nothing. What worked is, that I plugged my new hard drive in the port where my DVD player was plugged in and I plugged the DVD player in the other Port, I don't know why but this fixed the problem. So if anyone else is having a problem like this...don't plug your new hard drive in the last available port.*Smile
    But thanks for all the help, much appreciated!*Smile

claydavis21, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive

1. windows 10 boot's new (empty) hard drive - Similar Threads - boot's empty hard

2. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  3. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  4. Windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to new hard drive: Looking to move my C drive and my copy of windows 10 to a new hard drive. How can I do this? Someone recommend just making a clone? Can I do that with windows without messing anything up?...
  5. Windows 10 to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 to new hard drive: Looking to move my C drive and my copy of windows 10 to a new hard drive. How can I do this? Someone recommend just making a clone? Can I do that with windows without messing anything up?...
  6. Windows 10 to new hard drive

7. Empty hard drives to install Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Empty hard drives to install Windows?: Howdy, I have a little problem. My system is only causing problems or nothing can be done. I have decided to do a reinstall again. That means emptying the hard disks completely as if the PC was freshly assembled. The problem is I only have the BIOS available because I can...
  8. Windows 10 on new hard drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 on new hard drive.: I have recently acquired an HP Notebook 17-p121wm but it has a bad hard drive. I can't log in to the computer. If I replace the hard drive will they come with windows 10 already on it? Is it stored somewhere else on the laptop? Or am I going to have to purchase windows 10?...
  9. Getting Win 10 on a empty hard drive

Getting Win 10 on a empty hard drive: I have bought a few older desktops and i am refurbishing them to sell. They did not come with hard drives so no windows is installed. Is there a disk or drive i can buy that has mutiple (around 15) activated licenses of Win 10 home that i can plug in to the pc to install...
  10. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...