Windows 10: Windows 10 Boots to Black Desktop Background

Discus and support Windows 10 Boots to Black Desktop Background in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Below is the current issue I am experiencing with Windows 10. My computer has been running normally for days after having installed the software, only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Drew, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Drew Win User

Windows 10 Boots to Black Desktop Background

Below is the current issue I am experiencing with Windows 10. My computer has been running normally for days after having installed the software, only while booting today have I been experiencing this issue. I have tried doing restarts and fully turning the computer off, nothing seems to work. Also the hidden files do not normally show up on my desktop. Any ideas?

Windows 10 Boots to Black Desktop Background [​IMG]

:)

2. Colour Windows 10 dual boot OS selection screen

Hi,

As you have a dual boot, with Windows 10 installed successfully. I would like to inform you that, under the boot section option were system is booted with preference is normal with the default background screen as black. If at all the background screen
    during the boot option is of different color, which would be set by the manufacturer.

So if you prefer a different background color for the boot section, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of booting the operating system to desktop for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 10, 2015
  3. blacked out text

Hello Rich,

You can try to check if your desktop settings are correct. Try to check if it is set to High Contrast Black.

Follow the steps provided in the link below:

Change desktop backgrounds and colors

If the steps did not work, we suggest that you do a clean boot of your computer.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. Check the link below for
    the steps:

Clean Boot

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Aug 10, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Any system restore points before this happened ? Try System file checker

(Admin) command prompt copy and paste, press enter ,let it finish

sfc /scannow

Do not close command prompt, copy and paste this then press enter, let it finish and reboot PC

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

jds63, Aug 10, 2015
  5. Drew Win User
    If you look at the image on the right, on my second monitor I had that scan running. It has completed and came back with no errors. What do you mean by "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Thanks!
    *EDIT* I figured out what you meant and the second part is running now
    *EDITEDIT* Just did the restart and no luck still the same issue

6. jds63 Win User
    For one your image was too small to see, second when i read post, did not realize you did have multiple monitor hookup.
    As this can be cause of blank screens to. What about video card, drivers up to date ? Have it this way before the upgrade to Windows 10 and it worked and check display settings ? What about doing a system restore, have any dated before this issue ?
    What exactly are the hidden icons showing ? Go back to Folder options and remove from View tab, Show hidden folders and drives.

jds63, Aug 10, 2015
  7. Drew Win User
    The graphics card is a NVIDIA GT555M and the drivers are up to date. My computer worked normal for days after upgrading, this just recently started. The hidden icons are word files and desktop.ini

8. jds63 Win User

It's a laptop first i did not realize this. Did you just doubled your first image in first post or do you have another monitor hooked up ? Did you look in Personalize when right click the screen, check back round features. Besides the Hidden files showing on desktop also, seems you lost your back round image, because the icons are appearing on screen for it to be a complete Video adapter issue.

Again any system restore points and did you try to check Folder Options in Control panel in View Tab select Hide Folders and drivers ?

jds63, Aug 11, 2015
  9. XweAponX Win User
    Usually that means you lost your activation, did you check that?

I also had this problem with the original Windows 8 - It would boot to a full black screen, mouse only, no taskbar or icons. That was also an activation issue.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    The "Hidden Icons" are not exactly hidden icons, they are leftover from MS Word Edits. You can delete those.

Try to get access to the control panel so you can get into the Appearances area from there, check to see if windows changed your desktop theme to something other than what you had, that happens to me sometimes. Just click on a default Windows theme and see if it fires up.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
    You have good eyes, can't read that about hidden icons !

Told that, you mean Personalization in Windows 10. Strange behavior, either black screen with just cursor, just desktop wallpaper and no icons and just black screen and nothing else. Never seen black screen with icons working and cursor, does seem like personalize issue too. Never heard of not activated causing this, as most of us had to wait when Windows 10 was launched to get activated, guess anything possible since never seen this before.

jds63, Aug 11, 2015
  12. XweAponX Win User
    I downloaded his image and it was actually full sized, it just looks small in Edge heh.

Usually the "hidden" icons show up after you change your Folder Options to "show hidden and system files" - I always choose this, co I can see everything that's on my PC.

Bad Activation "Black Screen o Deth", it's happened to me about 5 times. repairing the activation has always fixed it, now this is a totally black screen with nothing else on it but a moving cursor. To open OOBE or SLMGR you need to do a "3-finger Salute" (ctrl-alt-del) and pull up Task Manager and "open", you can fix your activation from there.

But normally, a machine that has a failed activation will have a totally black wallpaper, usually accompanied with a "not activated" notice on the lower right corner. But I have seen failed activations without that text on the screen. Also, if the activation had failed and it was fixed, the system will have that black screen until you change the wallpaper.

Does Windows 10 have DWM.exe? I installed Aero and I have it, just see if DWM is running, that's what used to control all of the Theming Elements of Windows from Vista up.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Oh yes, I need to ask you, did you update to Windows 10 with the OTA updater or did you use a disk?

I think the best fix for OTA updaters who are having problems is to do a full in-place repair install from within windows, find the ISO image for your build and just install it, choose "update" in the setup routine.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Told thread starter about Folder options too, just no response to it. BSOD mostly is called Blue Screen of Death. Research it came up with no indication of failed activation for OP descriptions, this is as far as i can see, guess anythings possible. With Windows 10 does not show in bottom right corner with version number when not activated like previous versions did. I know of the slgmr rearm command.

First time heard of this from activation, you have seen it then it is possible. Again we both mentioned checking Personalize settings too, again wait for return of thread starter to reply.. Desktop Windows Manager, Windows 10, yes it does.

jds63, Aug 11, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    Asking me, i did upgrade from downloaded files from reserve, but before that i made an ISO from the install.esd files. Did upgrade first, then later did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro from original Windows 8.1 Pro.

jds63, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Boots to Black Desktop Background - Similar Threads - Boots Black Desktop

2. Desktop Background becomes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Background becomes black: https://imgur.com/a/GmIYbJa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-becomes-black/502733b8-b9af-46fd-9854-abdd3cddf87f
  3. Desktop Background becomes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Background becomes black: https://imgur.com/a/GmIYbJa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-background-becomes-black/502733b8-b9af-46fd-9854-abdd3cddf87f
  4. Desktop Background becomes black

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. windows desktop background is turning black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows desktop background is turning black: recently I had a problem where when I left click and highlight it would turn black or when I highlight and icon it would turn black or sometimes the whole background would turn back every like 5 minutes, after coming here to ask what was wrong I ran a virus scan on Windows...
  6. Fix Black desktop background on Windows 7

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Black desktop background on Windows 7: [ATTACH]A lot of users running Windows 7 are experiencing a Black desktop background after installing a particular update. It sent out a panic as if […] This post Fix Black desktop background on Windows 7 is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Why windows 10 desktop background is black on domain user

Why windows 10 desktop background is black on domain user: Why Windows 10 desktop background is black on domain user??????????? If same user i login in other system than my company default background coming. i delete the file from this path C:\Users\harnish.accuris\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles and restart...
  8. Windows 10 pro desktop background become black

Windows 10 pro desktop background become black: I was use Windows server 2019 and some laptop use Windows 10 pro. When I join domain all computer working good, but some laptop become black screen when they login outside of LAN or home, and still black screen when they come to login at office. I try to edit GPO for deploy...
  9. Windows 10 desktop is unavailable - black background

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 desktop is unavailable - black background: Hi, Sorry for my english (I am from Slovakia) A week ago my PC works fine. When I returned today after few days (during them it was off) and turned it on, a message came up and start flashing: Hi...[IMG] Because I have some problem with viruses weeks ago (but fixed all of...
  10. Desktop background goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop background goes black: I have a picture here of my desktop background. Notice how behind the icons is black. Now the entire background just blacked out. I also have problems with menus in apps. Notice how Synctoy isn't displaying the menu correctly. What is going on? [img] [img] 83640