Windows 10: Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode

Discus and support Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Specs:i5-6600kGIGABYTE GA-Z170-MX 5 GAMING --> MSI Z270M MortarSamsung EVO 850 250GB SSDCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB)WD 1TB HDD I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by solartrashcan, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode

Specs:i5-6600kGIGABYTE GA-Z170-MX 5 GAMING --> MSI Z270M MortarSamsung EVO 850 250GB SSDCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB)WD 1TB HDD

I installed some NVIDIA GTX1070 drivers around 2-3 months ago, and a week later I began to experience BSODs, usually MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. I initially thought it might be because of my overclock settings, so I reset my BIOS settings, but the BSODs persisted.

I then suspected either a CPU, motherboard, or RAM hardware issue, so I tested my CPU on my friend's z270 motherboard, and ran VR and prime95, which had no errors or crashes. I ran memtest86 for 10 passes, again with no errors, and I replaced my motherboard from the Gigabyte to the MSI motherboard shown in the specs. Still BSODs.I decided to try running in Safe Mode, which miraculously had no BSODs for over 2 hours, over the course of which I ran an hour long YouTube video, and ran prime95 for an hour, with no errors or crashes.

This made me think that it was a driver problem, so I wiped my SSD with Samsung Magician, and attempted to clean install windows using Windows Boot Media.Interestingly, the Windows Boot Media still had BSODs (keep in mind that at this point, the SSD was blank, and the HDD was unplugged).

I tried running Windows Boot Media with both the SSD and HDD unplugged, but still had BSODs. I suspected the Boot Media might be bad, so I first ran sfc /scannow, which said there were no errors with the Boot Media. I also tried running Ubuntu's "Test on this computer" as well as tried to install Ubuntu (with all combinations of HDD, SSD, or none plugged in), and still had freezing.

At this point, I'm completely lost on what to do next. Since the computer ran fine in Safe Mode, the issue has to be a software/driver problem, but I have no OS installed, and the problems persist even without an SSD or HDD plugged in, meaning its a hardware problem, which makes absolutely no sense. Does anyone have any ideas?

:)

solartrashcan, Jan 19, 2018

2. BSOD in normal mode, not safe mode: REGISTRY ERROR

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

Make sure all the updates are updated, and try to download the latest drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

I suggest you to perform start up repair from Windows Recovery Environment.

Follow the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To get to Windows Startup Settings in the Windows Recovery Environment. You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

If you don't have a disk or USB, download the ISO from a working computer and try creating a bootable disk or USB.

• If you can't start your PC, follow these instructions to get to the Windows Recovery Environment.

• Start your computer from the installation media, Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.

• If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB.

• When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

• In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

• Tap or click, advanced options and then click on Startup repair.

After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

Windows 10 ISO file Download:

Download Windows 10

Reference:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Suvarna Govinda, Jan 19, 2018
  3. BSOD in normal mode, not safe mode: REGISTRY ERROR

I recently added an SSD and a new graphics card to my PC. I moved everything from my HDD to the SSD and made sure I uninstalled my previous graphics card's drivers before installing the new one.

I went from an NVIDIA to an AMD.

My issue is that I will randomly get the BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR with no other error codes. I have uninstalled and re-installed my drivers to no avail. I have used Guru3D which was recommended from Tom's Hardware, and remove them in Safe mode.

When I uninstall and reinstall the drivers, I will go a day or two without the issue, but then it continually happens. I have included the link to the dump from when it happens: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

I have an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0.

Driver view: DriverView.txt

System info (normal mode): SystemInfo.txt

Kinnesotan, Jan 19, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

Please supply more details of your specs by filling in the My Computer section as fully as possible. I need to know what PSU you use and all other devices attached via USB etc.

philc43, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Thanks for the quick reply! Just updated the My Computer section.

solartrashcan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode

1. Windows 10 BSOD in Normal Mode but Stable in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - BSOD Normal Mode

2. Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes in safe mode but NOT in normal mode: I am having a very strange problem where my computer only freezes in safe mode but not during normal use. I was having some stuttering issues with a game so I decided to use DDU and reinstall my graphics driver. It's best to do this in safe mode, but every time my computer...
  3. Laptop is opening in safe mode but not in normal mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is opening in safe mode but not in normal mode.: Hello,I have a very old laptop. One day i tried to open it after a long time. When, i opened it, the screen was black. But, the idication light was showing that the laptop is opened. When, i try to open it. It shows windows not shut down successfully. Then, i put the start...
  4. Laptop is opening in safe mode but not in normal mode.

Laptop is opening in safe mode but not in normal mode.: Hello,I have a very old laptop. One day i tried to open it after a long time. When, i opened it, the screen was black. But, the idication light was showing that the laptop is opened. When, i try to open it. It shows windows not shut down successfully. Then, i put the start...
  5. HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode: Everything was fine a few days ago, and sudden after I restarted my PC, my PC cannot connect my D drive HDD drive. But when I enter safe mode, everything still work as the bug never happened!Every times I boot in normal mode and enter disk management, I can see the D...
  6. HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode: Everything was fine a few days ago, and sudden after I restarted my PC, my PC cannot connect my D drive HDD drive. But when I enter safe mode, everything still work as the bug never happened!Every times I boot in normal mode and enter disk management, I can see the D...
  7. Multiple BSODs in normal, safe mode works

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSODs in normal, safe mode works: Hi I can get into Safe Mode but in normal I just get constant BSODs I have tested RAM, Motherboard and changed drivers, reinstalled windows multiple times but same thing keeps happening Please help Many Thanks Tom...
  8. SSD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode: Strange problem. An SSD drive I have and which was accessible until a few days ago, cannot now be accessed via Windows 10 in normal mode. In 'Normal Mode,' the drive shows up in the BIOS, shows up in Disk Manager, show up in File Explorere but when I click on the drive I...
  9. how to change safe mode to normal mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change safe mode to normal mode: I have searched everywhere to change safe mode can't open apps ,Cortana or sound notification telling me can not access in safe mode this is a h-p laptop HELP...
  10. can open windows 10 in safe mode but not in normal mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can open windows 10 in safe mode but not in normal mode: I have tried everything system restore, ... but get errors when restoring I can access everything in Safe mode but any attempt to restore or revert just fails. In Advanced system restore does not work and ends in error, go back to previous versions same startup repair......