Windows 10: Windows 10 bugs

Discus and support Windows 10 bugs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi geeks. As any pre-release test version of any operating system, Windows 10 Technical Preview has some bugs, some of them known already, some of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kari, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Windows 10 bugs

Hi geeks.

As any pre-release test version of any operating system, Windows 10 Technical Preview has some bugs, some of them known already, some of them will be found as more users get active and start testing. One of the main reasons Microsoft released this Tech Preview so early is to get feedback from users, not only about how we like the user interface and new features but also to find errors and bugs in order to be able to fix them before the official release.

Let's do our own share as an active Windows 10 community. Please post here any bugs, errors and curiosities you'll find, I will add your entries to list and keep it up to date. Do not forget to report any bugs you find to Microsoft too using the Windows Feedback app in your Start Menu.

Bugs, errors and other strange stuff we've found:

• Taskbar not keeping its set size after reboot or sign out / sign in (post #2)
    • Font size cannot be changed in Start Menu, too small in higher resolutions (post #3)
    • Taskbar Auto Hide not working properly (post #5)
    • Taskbar navigation properties not working (post #6)
    • Home link in Explorer cannot be expanded (post #15)
    • Redundant links to external storage devices in Explorer (post #15)
    • Start Menu versatility issues (post #18)
    • Upgrade install from Windows 7, Charms bar appearing randomly (post #19)
    • Some connectivity issues using IE11 / Windows 10 (post #20 and post #21)
    • Some users have issues with MS account verification (post #31)
    • Auto hide Taskbar not restored from the bottom left corner, pointer have to be right of the Start, Search and Task View buttons to restore (post #34)
    • Command Prompt font, bold cannot be applied to all fonts (post #16 and post #50)
    • Pixelated icons on notifications (post #65)
    • After adding several virtual desktops the Add button disappears to right, no longer visible (post #65)
    • Pop-up description texts partly hidden (post #75)
    • User selected Input Language not always applied after sign in (post #103)
    • "Show screen overlay when Snipping Tool is active" in Snipping Tool not working (post #123)
    • Network connections to Windows 10 from XP / 7 / 8, connectivity issues (post #125)

:)

Kari, Oct 2, 2014

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Oct 2, 2014
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 bugs

I'll start: Vertical Taskbar does not remember its set width after reboot or sign out / sign in:

Windows 10 bugs [​IMG]

Every time I sign in I have to unlock the Taskbar, resize it as I want to and lock it again. Every time I reboot or sign in, the Taskbar is again lost the width I had set.

Kari, Oct 2, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) Start Menu - Text not re-sizeable and standard text on some monitors is far too small to read.
    2) IE11 No Metro version (You can run in Full screen but not a re-sizeable metro application).
    3) Ms Office 2010 wanted re-activation - seemed to think "new Hardware" - no problem though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    Jimbo, I added the Start Menu text size, those other two don't "fit in" in my opinion: Modern IE missing is a choice MS has made, and your Office activation was caused by new hardware (you imported VMware vhd to Hyper-V?).

Kari, Oct 2, 2014
  7. labeeman Win User
    Task bar does not reveal in auto hide when mouse pointer is in the start button area, search and task areas.

labeeman, Oct 2, 2014
  8. Windows 10 bugs

Taskbar properties - Navigation - Corners
    Upper right - charms: ticked but no charms
    Upper left - recent apps: inactive (greyed out)
    edit: Submitted feedback suggesting Win10 retains four corners with user option to inactive

Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014
  9. bromanbro Win User
    This x1000!!!! Just made a thread on that in the Feedback app.

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  10. Kari Win User
    Have you tested if these work when using Start Screen instead of Start Menu (tutorial)?

11. Modern IE will be available on tablets and phones - yes?

The options to decide which version to use are still in Internet options.

Bugs? Perhaps not, but why offer any Modern app on the desktop?
    I don't have a touchscreen and I have lots of Modern apps.

The question is: Why did MS decide to exclude IE and not Skype or other modern versions?

Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014
  12. bromanbro Win User
    If you think it's worth reporting, throw it on the Feedback App.

But srsly the Desktop version of Win10 doesn't need Browser apps...or a Skype app *Tongue

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  13. Windows 10 bugs

Tested: I only use the Start Screen - it was one of the first things I configured

Regardless of Screen or Menu, the taskbar Navigation properties should work. I know that MS talked about disabling the corners for desktops
    Either disable them or leave them, not something in between.

I understand this is an early preview, so MS has time to make Ten whole.

Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014
  14. dougout Win User
    At Boot my system frequently sticks at the Windows logo requiring a reboot to get things going.

When I configured the Documents button to go to Documents in a second Hard Drive a dialogue box popped up. It recommended I place all Documents from "C" to the second Hard Drive. After I clicked OK, MS Office Outlook stopped sending and receiving. This took me a long time to repair.

dougout, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Kari Win User
    Moving any of the system folders should be done before installing any software. In your case, Outlook had already set up itself "knowing" that the Documents folder is located in C:\Users\You\Documents. Launching Outlook now after you had moved the Documents it's unable to function properly because it's looking something on C: which is no longer there.

It's not a bug per se, it's just an issue of misplaced files needed by a program to run properly. In this case the user needs to go to Outlook settings and change the path for Outlook data files.

Thema:

Windows 10 bugs

1. Windows 10 bugs - Similar Threads - bugs

2. Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug?: Icons bugs Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-not-showing-as-png-icon-guys-is-it-windows-bug/f2a64556-1a67-4370-a90c-26d47f71da52
  3. Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug?: Icons bugs Its not showing as png icon Guys is it windows bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-not-showing-as-png-icon-guys-is-it-windows-bug/f2a64556-1a67-4370-a90c-26d47f71da52
  4. Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...: The VMS are 4 x Windows 10 Pro, 2 x Server 2022 Standard. I have run DISM restore health sfc /scannow chkdsk /r /f with no issues found! 2 of the Win10 and 1 of the server VMs are crashing. The mini-dumps point to bad driver ntoskrnl.exe from bad address ntoskrnl.exe+42xxxIn...
  5. Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...

Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...: The VMS are 4 x Windows 10 Pro, 2 x Server 2022 Standard. I have run DISM restore health sfc /scannow chkdsk /r /f with no issues found! 2 of the Win10 and 1 of the server VMs are crashing. The mini-dumps point to bad driver ntoskrnl.exe from bad address ntoskrnl.exe+42xxxIn...
  6. Need Help!!! I am running a fully patched Hyper-V Server 2016 with 6 VMs. 3 of them are bug...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 11 network stack has a routing bug. It sends frames out the wrong egress interface,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 network stack has a routing bug. It sends frames out the wrong egress interface,...: Windows routing sucks. It is so buggy it forwards frames out the wrong interface. It appears not to follow the basic routing principle of "longest-match-wins" in the routing table. It seems as though even when a more specific route exists in the routing table "route print" it...
  8. Windows 11 network stack has a routing bug. It sends frames out the wrong egress interface,...

Windows 11 network stack has a routing bug. It sends frames out the wrong egress interface,...: Windows routing sucks. It is so buggy it forwards frames out the wrong interface. It appears not to follow the basic routing principle of "longest-match-wins" in the routing table. It seems as though even when a more specific route exists in the routing table "route print" it...
  9. MSFS2020 UI bug causing camera to move on its own without control and automatically switch...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFS2020 UI bug causing camera to move on its own without control and automatically switch...: Hello, I have been recently experiencing a bug in MSFS 2020 on the PC- Microsoft store version of the game which causes the camera to switch between 3rd and 1st person on its own as well as spas the camera either to the right or up in incremental movements without control. I...
  10. MSFS2020 UI bug causing camera to move on its own without control and automatically switch...

MSFS2020 UI bug causing camera to move on its own without control and automatically switch...: Hello, I have been recently experiencing a bug in MSFS 2020 on the PC- Microsoft store version of the game which causes the camera to switch between 3rd and 1st person on its own as well as spas the camera either to the right or up in incremental movements without control. I...