Windows 10: windows 10 cache modification?

Discus and support windows 10 cache modification? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; is there a way to modify the amount of cache in windows 10 as I only have 4 gb ram in a win10 64 bit system?the system seems to be so slow and items... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Capt jack, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Capt jack Win User

windows 10 cache modification?

is there a way to modify the amount of cache in windows 10 as I only have 4 gb ram in a win10 64 bit system?the system seems to be so slow and items like shockwave etc either time out or error out after the last few updates. also the whole system seems to be a dog!!!!!! is this another win98 se/ vista pgm. waiting to hear from other techies out there.

capt. Jack

:)

Capt jack, Sep 18, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 18, 2016
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 18, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe any such functionality is exposed to the user and I would consider it a bad idea. The system memory manager manages caching dynamically according to the changing situation and does a better job than even an expert could do.

Windows Task Manager or Resource Monitor doesn't show the size of the file cache. What Task Manager shows as "Cached" is actually the sum of Standby and Modified memory. Standby memory is usually quite high which is a good thing as it makes a considerable contribution to performance. This memory is fully available to any application that needs it. "Modified" memory is usually quite small. The file cache isn't included in either value.

The file cache is shown by some other utilities such as Performance Monitor. This is a powerful utility that takes some experience to use effectively. Even with 8 GB RAM I have rarely seen the file cache reach 600 MB and it is usually quite a bit less. It would be even lower with 4 GB RAM.

I don't think the cache has anything to do with your problem.

LMiller7, Sep 18, 2016
  5. Capt jack Win User
    thanks. not sure what else as the mem is already at 50% with 4 gb

Capt jack, Sep 18, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Memory management in any modern OS is highly dynamic. Memory usage now may seem high but that is only because there is no better use for the memory. When available memory is plentiful the memory manager will allow processes to us pretty much whatever they want. And why not? Memory was meant to be used, not sit idle. But if a large application is started this memory usage will automatically be trimmed back to meet the demand. The memory manager always tries to manage memory so as to optimize performance, not to minimize usage. It appears that memory management is working properly.

There is a rather persistent myth that the more memory a computer uses the slower it will be. I read one article that said that was obvious. That is backwards. Using more memory improves performance. The only time usage becomes a problem is when there is a shortage.

LMiller7, Sep 18, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, there can be many reasons for a PC to seems slow.

Does your PC seem any faster if you do a clean boot?

Could you please then post a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is idle?

Here are some tips you can consider:
    10 Quick Ways to Speed Up a Slow Windows PC
    How to speed up Windows 10 | How to make Windows 10 faster - How-To - PC Advisor

You can also run some tests, for example on your disk throughput.
    One person reported slow performance copying files, and happened to be using exactly the same hard disk as I am in a desktop. His disk read/write speeds were severely limited, and recabling sorted that out.

Try Crystal Diskmark
    CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World

dalchina, Sep 19, 2016
  8. Capt jack Win User

seems that shockwave now crashes on all internet browsers. internet is very slow, but net is over 10mb. also seems that after you have 3 pgms running you slow down to nothing. have checked for virus, also other forms of crude using spybot, adware, etc. any other ideas?

Capt jack, Sep 21, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I think I'm waiting for your response to #5?

I have lots of background progs running and starting up- just that they are idle. So at most they take up RAM. It depends what the program is doing.. not the number of them.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 cache modification? - Similar Threads - cache modification

2. HP laptop stuck in Reconstructing Cache Metadata screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop stuck in Reconstructing Cache Metadata screen: Hi, my HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa is stuck in the Reconstructing Cache Metadata Screen. It is stuck on “creating the segment/index pairs ….. 1%” I’ve tried all the solutions on the forums. I can’t hard boot into the recovery mode as I can’t get to the screen with loading dots....
  3. HP laptop stuck in Reconstructing Cache Metadata screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop stuck in Reconstructing Cache Metadata screen: Hi, my HP Pavilion 14-ce3501sa is stuck in the Reconstructing Cache Metadata Screen. It is stuck on “creating the segment/index pairs ….. 1%” I’ve tried all the solutions on the forums. I can’t hard boot into the recovery mode as I can’t get to the screen with loading dots....
  4. Remove Cache files from system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Cache files from system: Hi Team,I have uploaded a organisation files to github repository from windows machine.Due to security reasons i have removed the repository from github portal but need to delete the same repository from windows cache. Please guide what is the process for deleting files from...
  5. Remove Cache files from system

Remove Cache files from system: Hi Team,I have uploaded a organisation files to github repository from windows machine.Due to security reasons i have removed the repository from github portal but need to delete the same repository from windows cache. Please guide what is the process for deleting files from...
  6. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.: If <ESC> is pressed then this appears:Then appears a blue screen error that shows the stop code Inaccessible boot device. I tried startup repair, system restore, uninstall update. But nothing worked...
  7. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.: If <ESC> is pressed then this appears:Then appears a blue screen error that shows the stop code Inaccessible boot device. I tried startup repair, system restore, uninstall update. But nothing worked...
  8. The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata.

9. How to clear the cache of my installed apps in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear the cache of my installed apps in Windows 11?: Hi there,I haven't had a Windows PC for a number of years, I've been using Android smartphones as my go-to device for emails, web browsing, news, etc. I'm well versed in most things tech, however, I do not have anywhere near the skills of a full stack developer. I know how to...
  10. How to clear the cache of my installed apps in Windows 11?

How to clear the cache of my installed apps in Windows 11?: Hi there,I haven't had a Windows PC for a number of years, I've been using Android smartphones as my go-to device for emails, web browsing, news, etc. I'm well versed in most things tech, however, I do not have anywhere near the skills of a full stack developer. I know how to...