Windows 10: Windows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict?

Discus and support Windows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. So this is my next topic but i am almost sure where is the problem. My ssd is Samsung Evo 250 GB. At beggining time ,disk was formatted to MBR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xxx123, Feb 26, 2016.

1. xxx123 Win User

Windows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict?

Hello. So this is my next topic but i am almost sure where is the problem. My ssd is Samsung Evo 250 GB.
    At beggining time ,disk was formatted to MBR partition.
    Problem started when some day i finished test in memtest86. Then after finished test i change booting priority in UEFI from USB to SSD.
    After this Windows 10 started showing at 1 boot Automatic Repair and Diagnosing Pc. Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    Disk was still on MBR partition.
    Then i formatted disk using this time GPT partition. After this no problem with automatic repair, even if i am changing booting priority from USB to SSD ( tried many times ). Problem is not reproducable now.
    So question is. It was propably issue with MBR and my UEFI ? MBR is not compatible with UEFI? Or maybe cause was other?

My ssd is Samsung Evo 250 GB , motherboard is Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, rams are 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz. Or maybe rams? I have read that some peoples resolved issue by new rams. But i doubt that rams was issue, because after format is now fine. What you think ?
    Windows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict? [​IMG]
    Thank you.

:)

xxx123, Feb 26, 2016
  2. John S.G. Win User

Windows 10 & 7th gen Intel Core processors in UEFI mode running on MBR partitions

Hi,

I've been researching a lot about this matter and I got a question that I'd like to be answered. I have an encryption software that only runs on MBR partitions, I've seen that MBR partitions are designed for legacy mode systems. Newer laptops that come with
    Windows 10 and 7th Gen. Intel processors are running on UEFI mode and Secure boot, and I know you can run Windows 10 on MBR partitions but for older laptops the ones designed before the launch of windows 10. So basically my question is, can we get MBR partitions
    for newer laptops with Windows 10 and 7th Gen. Intel processors? If I can my second question is, do I have to use Legacy mode or can I stick to UEFI mode? In case that not my third question is, which feature is limiting the MBR partition? Is it the 7th gen
    processor? or the UEFI mode? or something else?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

John S.G., Feb 26, 2016
  3. Can't install Windows 10 as disk isn't GPT

I installed Windows 10 on my work PC which I found is MBR disk. Other users have also been able to install on MBR disk.

On my home PC it says my disk doesn't support UEFI firmware, how can I resolve this?

Here's the difference -

Work PC:

Download iso

Click install

Choose MBR disk

Install

Home PC:

Download iso

Click install

Choose MBR disk

"cannot be installed to this PC because it doesn't support UEFI firmware"

Is my motherboard the problem?

RyanMckenna, Feb 26, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Legacy BIOS boot - MBR disk scheme / UEFI boot - GPT disk scheme. That's what's normally done with no problem. At least, that's what I think.

Word Man, Feb 26, 2016
  5. xxx123 Win User
    Maybe MBR get corrupted?

xxx123, Feb 26, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    I kind of doubt it. It doesn't make sense to me to expect the UEFI boot order to have any effect on a boot that you should have been doing in legacy BIOS mode if you have an MBR disk scheme.

If you tried to boot UEFI with an MBR disk - no go. You should have been trying to boot legacy BIOS (not UEFI) if you had an MBR disk scheme. Once you changed the disk to GPT scheme, of course (assuming the conversion included creating an EFI system partition) if should boot fine in UEFI.

Word Man, Feb 26, 2016
  7. xxx123 Win User
    So my motherboard is Asus SAbertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS. I had previously installed windows 10 with MBR partition. So maybe that was reason of automatic repair loop? ( But like said on second boot it booted fine to windows 10 ) . Please answer. Thanks.

xxx123, Feb 26, 2016
  8. xxx123 Win User

this:UEFI is the replacement for BIOS, and it's a relatively new thing in modern motherboards and OS's. It does things a bit differently than BIOS did, and sometimes there are strange edge conditions where a particular procedure will reliably cause unexpected behavior (like your process for making Windows 10 auto start it's repair system). So really, what you're looking at is a bug or "Feature" in the UEFI that doesn't behave the way Microsoft or the BIOS manufacturers expect. This exhibits itself in your strange boot behavior. In this case, I would expect it has something to do with maintaining compatibility with older OS's, and you have a conflict between UEFI and BIOS configurations. For example, your Motherboard might be trying to boot your SSD (HDD) using UEFI, and when you select the USB, you're selecting the NON-UEFI (aka BIOS) setting.

This means (likely) that on Shutdown, the OS tries to write something to the MBR (which doesn't exist, so it creates one), then on BOOT, the UEFI is looking for a GPT boot sector (or whatever GPT calls it) and gets confused because it finds a MBR (and a GPT too) instead. The OS then kicks in boot repair, fixes the GPT and off you go.

If you switch boot devices, try to keep them in the same family. If you use NON UEFI CD/HDD/SSD/USB on everything, don't switch any of them to UEFI or strange things may happen (and if you use UEFI don't switch to BIOS (aka Legacy).

xxx123, Feb 27, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    Took a spin through the manual for your motherboard - not clear to me if it can only boot UEFI or if there is legacy boot option or the equivalent thereof - if it can boot an MBR disk scheme, seems like you have to have the settings right to do that. No surprise, however, that you had no EUFI boot with an MBR disk - UEFI boot looks to EFI System Partition (which wouldn't be on your MBR disk scheme) or another inserted bootable device.

Word Man, Feb 27, 2016
  10. xxx123 Win User
    So maybe that was reason of automatic repair loop? ( But like said on second boot it booted fine to windows 10 ) . Please answer. Thanks.

This means (likely) that on Shutdown, the OS tries to write something to the MBR (which doesn't exist, so it creates one), then on BOOT, the UEFI is looking for a GPT boot sector (or whatever GPT calls it) and gets confused because it finds a MBR (and a GPT too) instead. The OS then kicks in boot repair, fixes the GPT and off you go. Maybe because of this?

xxx123, Feb 27, 2016
  11. Word Man Win User
    I wouldn't have any way of knowing if your MBR disk was corrupted. How is it you were trying to boot an MBR disk with UEFI? What is "beginning time"? An MBR disk is not normally able to boot UEFI - although there is a trick to change boot partition (or system partition) to have UEFI boot files.

How relevant is your original question about MBR "corruption" if you've converted to GPT and all is OK? Are you looking to go back to MBR and still be able to boot UEFI?

Word Man, Feb 27, 2016
  12. xxx123 Win User
    After format is ok. No automatic repair. Even when i am changing USB to SDD is fine. But i am on GPT now.

I installed my Windows 10 in GPT partition. After this Windows 10 updated to new version and downloaded update.
    In bios options i have SSD SAMSUNG and SSD SAMSUNG BOOT MANAGER. Why i have 2 boot of my ssd? What exactly it mean?

2 second question. So before format when i was booting from MBR partition had Automatic repair can you explain me why?

xxx123, Feb 27, 2016
  13. Word Man Win User

Responses in red.

Word Man, Feb 27, 2016
  14. xxx123 Win User
    No i dont had before format WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER in UEFI. I had only 2 boot options in UEFI to chooseWindows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict? :p1 SSD SAMSUNG 250 GB ( MBR )and UEFI KINGSTON USB. And after i chang boot from UEFI KINGSTON USB to P1 SSD SAMSUNG 250 GB automatic repair happens only at 1 boot of Windows 10. Then after i click restart from automatic repair screen i was boot to Windows 10 fine. So can you explain me why? Is this because UEFI conflict with MBR?

It looked like this:
    Attachment 66971

xxx123, Feb 28, 2016
  15. Word Man Win User
    Yes. MBR does not have an EFI System Partition.

Word Man, Feb 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - can be my UEFI and MBR conflict? - Similar Threads - UEFI MBR conflict

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR

Install Windows 10 in UEFI-MBR: Hi! I have a question regarding in installing Windows 10. Can I install Windows on a MBR partition scheme and boot it in UEFI mode? Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-in-uefi-mbr/5dde4d18-1255-4905-a58b-41aeb0bd2e89
  5. can i change windows 10 legacy to uefi and mbr to gpi

can i change windows 10 legacy to uefi and mbr to gpi: can i change windows 10 legacy to uefi and mbr to gpi. i have a few programs, but they say i have to change the bios to uefi, how do i do that. thanks...
  6. MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI: recently upgraded hard drive to 1 TB on a dell inspiron 1525. I need to do 3 things. update DOS when i dont have the power requirements 0% not 10% as required. Trying to create a bootable usb has proven more difficult than i imagined to "forceit"; with the new HD, i NEED...
  7. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  8. UEFI or MBR ?

UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  9. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...
  10. UEFI with MBR: Can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?

UEFI with MBR: Can I upgrade from Windows 7 to 10?: My Windows 7 Pro pc had BIOS on the motherboard, MBR on the 120GB SSD boot disk, and GPT on the 3TB HDD data disk. I was running out of room on the boot disk (and it was developing bad sectors) so I decided to switch it to a HDD with plenty of room (yes, SSD back to HDD.) So...