Windows 10: Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems.

Discus and support Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ​I have a home network with 5 W10 systems, 3 W8.1 systems and a W7 system. Until a few days ago, all systems could access files on any other available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Garyw, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Garyw Win User

Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems.

I have a home network with 5 W10 systems, 3 W8.1 systems and a W7 system. Until a few days ago, all systems could access files on any other available system. Currently, all systems can “see” all other available systems. However, NONE of the 5 W10 systems can access any files on ANY other system. All of the W8.1 systems CAN access files on every other system, including all of the W10 systems. All W10 and W8.1 systems use the same Microsoft login name and password, although 4 of the W10 systems and 1 W8.1 systems are accessed by the same pin. The W7 system can access files on ALL other systems. All systems have a second (local) account, all with the same user name and password. Some of the systems are hard wired, some are wireless. All systems can access the internet.

All of the systems belong to “Workgroup.”

All of the systems show ipv4 connectivity, all of the systems show “No internet Access” for ipv6.

Under ADVANCED SHARING
    All systems have Network Discovery ON, Auto setup of Network devices ON, File & Print sharing ON, Allow windows to manage Home group ON, Two of W10 machines have 128 bit encryption ON, 2 of 3 W8.1 machines have 128 bit encryption ON. Under “Use 40 or 56 bit encryption”, 3 of 5 W10 machines are ON, 1 of 3 W8.1 machines are ON. 4 of 5 W10’s have “Media Streaming YES, 1 of 3 W8.1’s have it set to YES. All devices with “Media Streaming on” are set to allow.

All systems have “Use Sharing Wizard” selected.

I CAN ping one W10 machine from another W10.

I CAN access media files on other W10 systems through the media player icon in File Explorer Network

All W10 systems are version 10240 RTM

Home group connections appear to mimic the network connections, although I haven’t tested every possible connection as I did with the network interactions.

Using a local login instead of a Microsoft account doesn’t seem to matter.

Security is Windows Defender on all W10, Security Essentials on all others.

[The error is: \\MACHINENAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network address is invalid.
    ]

I have tried changing Windows credentials by deleting and reentering MicrosoftAccount:user=, I also added creds for 2 machines in the formTERMSRV/SYSTEMNAME, with MS username, password, but didn't seem to help.

The only commonality I can think of is a bad Windows update. I’ve spent some time researching the problem, but haven’t found any results that correspond to my problem. Any one know of a fix?

:)

Garyw, Oct 13, 2015
  2. garywclem Win User

I have a home network with 5 W10 systems, 3 W8.1 systems and a W7 system. Until a few days ago, all systems could access files on any other available system. Currently, all systems can “see” all other available systems. However, NONE of the 5 W10
    systems can access any files on ANY other system. All of the W8.1 systems CAN access files on every other system, including all of the W10 systems. All W10 and W8.1 systems use the same Microsoft login name and password, although 4 of the W10 systems and
    1 W8.1 systems are accessed by the same pin. The W7 system can access files on ALL other systems. All systems have a second (local) account, all with the same user name and password. Some of the systems are hard wired, some are wireless. All systems can
    access the internet.

When I try to access any other system from any W10 system, I get the following error:

[\\MACHINENAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network address is invalid.
    ]

All of the systems belong to “Workgroup.”

All of the systems show ipv4 connectivity, all of the systems show “No internet Access” for ipv6.

Under ADVANCED SHARING

All systems have Network Discovery ON, Auto setup of Network devices ON, File & Print sharing ON, Allow windows to manage Home group ON, Two of W10 machines have 128 bit encryption ON, 2 of 3 W8.1 machines have 128 bit encryption ON. Under “Use 40
    or 56 bit encryption”, 3 of 5 W10 machines are ON, 1 of 3 W8.1 machines are ON. 4 of 5 W10’s have “Media Streaming YES, 1 of 3 W8.1’s have it set to YES. All devices with “Media Streaming on” are set to allow.

All systems have “Use Sharing Wizard” selected.

I CAN ping one W10 machine from another W10.

I CAN access media files on other W10 systems through the media player icon in File Explorer

All W10 systems are version 10240 RTM

Home group connections appear to mimic the network connections, although I haven’t tested every possible connection as I did with the network interactions.

Using a local login instead of a Microsoft account doesn’t seem to matter.

Security is Windows Defender on all W10, Security Essentials on all others.

I have tried changing Windows credentials by deleting and reentering MicrosoftAccount:user=, I also added creds for 2 machines in the form
    SYSTEMNAME, with MS username, password, but didn't help.

These services are all running

Computer Browser

Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Network Connections

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness

Network Store Interface Service

Server

SSDP Discovery

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Workstation

I did a system restore to mid September on a W10 Home system, no Joy.

The only commonality I can think of is a bad Windows update. I’ve spent some time researching the problem, but haven’t found any results that correspond to my problem. Any one know of a fix?

garywclem, Oct 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems.

Hi Gary,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Share files and folders

I suggest you refer the section share files over a home network in the link below.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/share-files-folders

I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing to check if that causes the issue and if that doesn't help. Please post your query in TechNet Forums for better assistance.

Link: Technet forums

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems. - Similar Threads - longer access files

2. Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update: Hello All,I have a customer running Windows 10 Professional, build 19042, and since their PC recently lost power, it was restarted. After the restart, our software application cannot seem to open due to an exception from being unable to access dependent files in its install...
  3. After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files: My windows 10 PC was updated overnight. I can no longer access my encrypted files. I get "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privilieges ....". What happened? Tell me how to get my access privileges returned. Windows 10 Pro Version 2004...
  4. Share files on other system in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share files on other system in windows 10: I already can ping with other systems I don't know how to share my files with that system both have windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-files-on-other-system-in-windows-10/ba2976ed-d99f-4def-8992-7b892ea9370a
  5. Total commander any other better alternative for windows 10 with cloud files access ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Total commander any other better alternative for windows 10 with cloud files access ?: Share your suggestions. submitted by /u/hard2resist [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hdtd67/total_commander_any_other_better_alternative_for/
  6. Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?

Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?: I have installed Windows on my SSD today I have 2 HDDs and one SSD in my PC but I can't access my apps stored on the HDDs I can see the files and the drives are also displayed. How can I make the HDDs work as before? Dateien nach Windows neu installation nicht mehr aufrufbar?
  7. Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?

Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?: I have installed Windows on my SSD today I have 2 HDDs and one SSD in my PC but I can't access my apps stored on the HDDs I can see the files and the drives are also displayed. How can I make the HDDs work as before? Dateien nach Windows neu installation nicht mehr aufrufbar?
  8. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive: Hi all, After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not progress past 1% complete. I am able to cancel it and log in as normal but performance very slow. I can still see drive D in...
  9. can no longer access my Windows 10 account...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    can no longer access my Windows 10 account...: A couple of days ago I posted regarding eliminating a user profile if the files it contained were shared by another profile (Are shared documents and files removed from PC if one account deleted? - Windows 10 Forums) Yesterday I deleted the account C:\Users\Person A....
  10. W10 no longer can access other devices on network.

W10 no longer can access other devices on network.: I THINK I found the problem/answer in another thread, ... but it is an old thread and I am not sure. That thread is here: Cannot access shared network drive In any case, here is the case: Computer #1 DELL W10-64 Computer #2 Toshiba W7-64 Computer #3 Acer W7-32 NAT...