Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot find office 2007 docs after clean install

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot find office 2007 docs after clean install in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro last year from Windows 7 Pro all was good for a while. A few weeks ago I began to experience some stability... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by llewitha, May 4, 2016.

1. llewitha Win User

Windows 10 cannot find office 2007 docs after clean install

Hi Guys,
    I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro last year from Windows 7 Pro all was good for a while. A few weeks ago I began to experience some stability issues, so I decided to do a clean install.
    I backed up my personal files, word docs, spreadsheets etc onto an external hard drive and completed the clean install. I then re-installed Office 2007 then copied and pasted my saved docs from the external drive into the documents folder.
    All the folders and files appear to be there but when I try to open a file I get a message saying that Windows cannot find the file. If I search for the file it shows me that it is in the Documents folder but when I go there it still says that Windows cannot find the file.
    I can open them from my external hard drive as thankfully I hadn't deleted them from it but cannot access them from the desktop. Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this?
    Also I noticed that the name on my user folder has lost the last letter it used to be Martyn but now Windows 10 thinks I am Marty. Why on earth would it do that?
    Thanks in Advance

:)

llewitha, May 4, 2016

2. after latest windows 10 update, unable to open word docs

after the latest windows 10 update, when I click on an existing word doc , a skeleton word page opens but no document. I am running Office 2007. I have been told that a program within windows 10 should link my existing office docs to the installed office
    program ?

If I open word directly then search for an existing doc it open correctly ?

can anyone help please

keithferguson1, May 4, 2016
  3. I need help with windows 10 upgrade

I installed the free upgrade of Windows 10 and now everything has changed. I was running Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 and I cannot print any word docs or pdf files created before I installed the upgrade. I tried reinstalling 2007 but it just cycles
    and accomplishes nothing. Can you help me?

BernadineXO, May 4, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello llewitha,

I hope the clean install will solve your stability problems - it usually does and is well worth doing! I'm sorry you now seem to have a few problems. The issue with your user folder is easily explained, Microsoft takes the first five characters of your username (email address when you sign in with a Microsoft Account) and uses this as your user name for the folder. Annoying but that's the way it is and it is really quite a pain to change the folder name so my advice is leave it alone.

The files are another matter though and this should not have happened. Are you able to right click on any of the files in your documents folder and check their properties? You should have full control of them when you examine the security tab.

philc43, May 4, 2016
  5. llewitha Win User
    Thank you for answering,

I'm at work now and it's my personal PC at home that's giving me the problem. I'll be home in a couple of hours so I will check then and get back to you.

Thanks again.

llewitha, May 4, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Go to Programs and Features > scroll to Microsoft office 2007 > right click at it > click Change > click Repair.

See if that fixes the problem.

davidhk, May 4, 2016
  7. llewitha Win User
    Update. I reset the windows installation and reinstalled office 2007 and the problem is sorted. Thanks guys.

llewitha, May 5, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

That's good to know. Please mark the thread as solved.

philc43, May 5, 2016
  9. llewitha Win User
    Bad news I'm afraid, the problem has reappeared! I've done nothing to change anything so I have no idea what's going on. I still have the files on the external drive and I can open them from there but I cannot open the same files from the documents folder. I could do this yesterday without a problem but not today. Also if I first open Word and then search within the documents folder for a file to open. Word reports that I do not have permission to open it! But as I said I can open the same file on the external drive? Please help if you can
    Thanks

llewitha, May 7, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    This suggestion, if it works, is just a temporary "fix".................................

Do a system restore. Pick the "I could do this yesterday" date as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  11. llewitha Win User
    Hi, I did the system restore but the effort was in vain. When trying to open a word doc I still got the message that Windows cannot find the file and then if I opened word first and tried to open the doc from word the message was that I didn't have permission to open it.

So I started from scratch, did another clean install but this time I did not enable one drive. I installed a non microsoft office program to make sure that I had something else available to open the docs if all else failed then copied the docs over from the external drive. Then I installed Office 2007 and all was well. I could find the docs, open them, read them and edit with no problem. So I think my problem was related to the known one drive syncing issue.

Finally I went to one drive and was very careful in choosing which folders to sync. The result as of this morning anyway is that everything is working. I'll check it again tonight and if all is still well I'll mark the thread as solved.

Thanks for your help and patience.

llewitha, May 8, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    Thank you for the follow-up.

Now that it is sorted, please mark your thread as Solved.
    Someone with a similar issue might like to read it if he/she sees the green checkmark.

Happy computing.

davidhk, May 8, 2016
  13. Windows 10 cannot find office 2007 docs after clean install

Double check that you actually copied the files and didn't just make shortcuts by accident. If they are just short cuts, they will only work when the external drive is plugged in.

alphanumeric, May 8, 2016
  14. llewitha Win User
    Final update before marking as solved.

It had nothing to do with one drive syncing. It's Panda Internet Security. There is a function as a part of this called Data Shield. You are asked to enable it after installing the package. If enabled Office 2007 cannot find your office docs, disable it and Hey Presto! They are back. So the answer is if anyone else has this problem and is running Panda disable Data Shield.

llewitha, May 11, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    Interesting.
    Good thing I do not use any 3rd party security program. I would never find out the solution.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cannot find office 2007 docs after clean install - Similar Threads - cannot find office

2. Restore Windows Office after clean install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Windows Office after clean install Windows 10: Hello everyone, I was part of the insider Windows program, so my computer was updated to Windows 11. The 10 days passed long ago and now I would like to return to windows 10 and leave the insider program. My only issue is that I have on this computer the Office package bought...
  3. Restore Windows Office after clean install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows Office after clean install Windows 10: Hello everyone, I was part of the insider Windows program, so my computer was updated to Windows 11. The 10 days passed long ago and now I would like to return to windows 10 and leave the insider program. My only issue is that I have on this computer the Office package bought...
  4. Office 2007 on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 2007 on windows 10: Hello I have a retail version of microsoft office 2007 installed on my windows 7 PC. I am changing my mother board and harddrive and upgrading to windows 10. Will I be able to reinstall win 2007 once I change my hardware and operating system?...
  5. cannot open office docs after installing windows 10 upgrade 8-13-2019

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot open office docs after installing windows 10 upgrade 8-13-2019: After completing the upgrade, I cannot open my word 2016 OR my office 365 Word files. Outlook works ok. I reinstalled the the 365 Office pak, but still doesn't work; doesn't seem to see my device. I followed some previous instructions to create another account and then...
  6. Add office 2007 to old Win7 laptop after clean install w/ Win 10 1809

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Add office 2007 to old Win7 laptop after clean install w/ Win 10 1809: Greetings fellow W10 users. I would appreciate some guidance in an upcoming project (maybe today if time permits). I have an old Dell 1747 laptop that I plan to complete a clean install of W10-1809. This is a 64b pc with an early gen i7 cpu, 8GB RAM, and 2nd 2.5" drive bay...
  7. Office 2007 & Win 10

Office 2007 & Win 10: I noticed my office 2007 Pro isn't updating since i upgraded to windows 10. Outlook, Word etc. I have check other Microsoft devices in update settings. Anyone else notice this also? 33331
  8. MS Office 2007 strange language after today's office 2007 update

MS Office 2007 strange language after today's office 2007 update: Hello, today the automatic update performed Cumulative update 1703 and MS Office 2007 update, the KB numbers follow KB4038788 KB4038806 KB3213649 KB3213646 KB3114428 KB3213642 KB4011086 KB3213641 KB4011064 KB4011063 KB4011062 on a machine with CZECH Windows,...
  9. Upgrade office 2007 after win 10 clean install

Upgrade office 2007 after win 10 clean install: When I previously had Win 7 installed on my desktop, I had Office 2007 installed and updated to Office 2010. Well, now I have a problem - because I did a 'clean install' I only had Office 2007 to install again (I have a disk) but I cannot find any link anywhere with Microsoft...
  10. Office 2007 Installation

Office 2007 Installation: My computer froze during office 2007 installation. I then removed the pre-installed office 2013 product and tried to install office 2007. It will not install now. Need some help. 38007