Windows 10: Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive)

Discus and support Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I am trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 on my computer. I currently have Windows 10 installed and am trying to partition(split) my D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kevinshen, Mar 10, 2016.

1. kevinshen Win User

Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive)

Hi all,

I am trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 on my computer. I currently have Windows 10 installed and am trying to partition(split) my D drive to create a new drive for Ubuntu. My D drive currently has 100GB of free space. However, in Disk Management, only 4.85GB is showing up as "available shrink space." Therefore, I cannot make a new drive big enough to run Ubuntu on. Is there any way of getting around this? It might be helpful to know windows says "cannot shrink volume beyond the point where any removable files are located." The defragment and optimization tool doesn't help, I pressed "optimized" but nothing changes

Best, Kevin

:)

kevinshen, Mar 10, 2016

2. I AM UNABLE TO EXPAND VOLUME OF C DRIVE FROM UNALLOCATED PARTITION

I CREATED AN UNALLOCATED PARTITION BY SHRINKING VOLUME OF D DRIVE

AND NOW I CANNOT ALLOCATE THIS UNALLOCATED VOLUME TO EXPAND VOLUME OF C DRIVE OR ANY OTHER DRIVE

BUT THIS UNALLOCATED VOLUME CAN BE REALLOCATED TO D DRIVE BY EXPANDING ITS VOLUME. PLEASE HELP

HOW CAN I DO IT?

AND IF IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THEN WHAT IS THE REASON BEHIND IT?

AshutoshMahato, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Shrinking is not an issue, once I shrink drive d how to use that free space for drive c is the issue because extend volume is not highlighted in c

bashirpukhta, Mar 10, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Thema:

1. Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive) - Similar Threads - cannot shrink volume

2. Drive C: cannot exdend on a shrinked space on drive D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive C: cannot exdend on a shrinked space on drive D:: Hello since i after dual boot Windows 11 pro and Windows Ultimate which is my favorite version.Since i ran out of space because of the 170 Windows updates i tried to extend my storage and i cant Should i remove drive C: and extend to 100 GB and reinstall windows 7 ultimate...
  3. Drive C: cannot exdend on a shrinked space on drive D:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive C: cannot exdend on a shrinked space on drive D:: Hello since i after dual boot Windows 11 pro and Windows Ultimate which is my favorite version.Since i ran out of space because of the 170 Windows updates i tried to extend my storage and i cant Should i remove drive C: and extend to 100 GB and reinstall windows 7 ultimate...
  4. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  5. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  6. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Shrinking volume of c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking volume of c drive: On shrinking volume off c drive free space:600+ gb, the available size for shrinking is 200 mb only . I have tried defragmenting but nothing happened. I want to create a new partition but the max size available for that is only 200 mb. Help!!!!...
  8. Cannot shrink volume more that 54MB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot shrink volume more that 54MB: [ATTACH] I am trying to shrink my fastest SSD to dual boot an OS, but when trying to, I can only shrink it by 54MB. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? Thanks...
  9. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  10. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10: How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on...