Windows 10: Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive)

Discus and support Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I am trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 on my computer. I currently have Windows 10 installed and am trying to partition(split) my D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kevinshen, Mar 10, 2016.

1. kevinshen Win User

Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive)

Hi all,

I am trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 on my computer. I currently have Windows 10 installed and am trying to partition(split) my D drive to create a new drive for Ubuntu. My D drive currently has 100GB of free space. However, in Disk Management, only 4.85GB is showing up as "available shrink space." Therefore, I cannot make a new drive big enough to run Ubuntu on. Is there any way of getting around this? It might be helpful to know windows says "cannot shrink volume beyond the point where any removable files are located." The defragment and optimization tool doesn't help, I pressed "optimized" but nothing changes

Best, Kevin

:)

kevinshen, Mar 10, 2016

2. I AM UNABLE TO EXPAND VOLUME OF C DRIVE FROM UNALLOCATED PARTITION

I CREATED AN UNALLOCATED PARTITION BY SHRINKING VOLUME OF D DRIVE

AND NOW I CANNOT ALLOCATE THIS UNALLOCATED VOLUME TO EXPAND VOLUME OF C DRIVE OR ANY OTHER DRIVE

BUT THIS UNALLOCATED VOLUME CAN BE REALLOCATED TO D DRIVE BY EXPANDING ITS VOLUME. PLEASE HELP

HOW CAN I DO IT?

AND IF IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THEN WHAT IS THE REASON BEHIND IT?

AshutoshMahato, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Shrinking is not an issue, once I shrink drive d how to use that free space for drive c is the issue because extend volume is not highlighted in c

bashirpukhta, Mar 10, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Thema:

1. Windows 10: cannot shrink volume (D drive) - Similar Threads - cannot shrink volume

2. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  3. Can't shrink volume more than 10 GB.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink volume more than 10 GB.: Hello everyone, I need to shrink 100 GB of my Harddsik. It says you cant shrink more than 10 GB: https://gyazo.com/14fe1363b6d1ad13b57f2a2ec7e089ee I did everything from this video. It didn't change anything: How to shrink a volume beyond the point if size of available...
  4. Can't shrink volume more than 10 GB.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't shrink volume more than 10 GB.: Hello everyone, I need to shrink 100 GB of my Harddsik. It says you cant shrink more than 10 GB: https://gyazo.com/14fe1363b6d1ad13b57f2a2ec7e089ee I did everything from this video. It didn't change anything: How to shrink a volume beyond the point if size of available...
  5. Error while shrinking a volume!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error while shrinking a volume!!!: Hello, Today, while I was shrinking one of my disk partition in disk management option, I received an error saying"An unexpected error has occurred. check the system event log for more information. close the disk management console and restart it." I tried restarting it but...
  6. Unable to Shrink Volume

Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  7. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...
  8. Need Help With Shrink Volume!

Need Help With Shrink Volume!: Hello everyone! I was trying to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu and before i can do that i have to make a partition for it and i have a hard drive in my laptop that is over 220 GB big but when i go to create a partition it says the biggest i can make the partition is 6 GB!!!...
  9. shrinking volume with OS on it

shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...
  10. Cannot save to D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save to D Drive: I installed a clean install of Windows 10 onto my C Drive keeping my D Drive with my files. Now I cannot save to my D Drive even though I have given myself permission to allow all on my D Drive. Can anybody help please? TIA 90802