Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors'

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors' in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, would anybody be able to shed some light on updates? since the installation of win 10 creators i am unable to download a single update, this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JRH789, Jul 11, 2017.

1. JRH789 Win User

Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors'

Hi, would anybody be able to shed some light on updates? since the installation of win 10 creators i am unable to download a single update, this applies to the app store too. used all the microsoft help tools, re-installed win 10 even installed a different win 10 build, tried everything, i just get a failed message with error codes, i'm at my wits end now. so i've come to this forum to see if anybody has a solution they could share with me, any help would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

:)

JRH789, Jul 11, 2017

2. windows 10 aniversary update,error:abnormal installation,product update entries not found

after updating to aniversary update im getting an error after startup of windows as

error:abnormal installation

product update entries not found,cannot continue

my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled.

help me fix this problem

sharath k s, Jul 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 crashed after update

Running on Windows 10.

Crashed shortly After the update in October.

I have tried installing 7,8, and reinstalling 10 all met with error while going through the installation process and was unable to install any of them.

Cannot boot from restore point, cannot refresh, cannot reinstall windows.

Can only get my PC to boot up in safe mode.

Thanks.

Pillowplanet, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors'

HI JRH789

Hen you said you re-installed Windows was this a Windows reset or a clean install from fresh media (V1703)?

What error messages are you receiving and what codes? Are they consistent codes for different versions, you said you installed two versions?

When you re-installed did your Windows activate?

Did you run any hardware scans against disk? Hardware errors shouldn't be caused by a Windows update but who knows, maybe the stars aligned.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 11, 2017
  5. JRH789 Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks for getting back to me, it was a clean re-install (Anniversary ed.) re-format etc, could't get updates on that version either, so i reverted back to 1703, still the same outcome.

The error messages i am getting all start with 'There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80240439)' I have had different error codes with the Anniversary disc (can't think of the build) but the most consistent is the one above. I would like to point out that i was running the anniversary edition just fine on a Toughbook CF-52 and got updates no trouble, i now have a desktop which i ran both disks on and came up against this, both activated fine though. Tried the network repair app/troubleshooter for updates,

I read somewhere that Gigabyte mainboards could be an issue and may need flashing, but the pc is only 2 years old, and i hear flashing can go horribly wrong.

I ran chkdsk as far as disc checking goes and all is well there. i have done quite a bit of research first before i came to this forum and it seems alot of people have had this happen, but this is odd. and frustrating as i cannot download from the store either, the error code i get for that is the same as for updates. I am at a loss Ken, mainboard? don't see how.

Appreciated Ken, thanks.

JRH789, Jul 11, 2017
  6. Bios updates are not that bad but you are right, when they go bad they can go really bad. Some boards have dual BIOS's and a process to recover from a failed update. Best to leave this to the end. Have you looked at Gigabyte's forums for your board, if BIOS related you can't be only one.

Here is what I would do. Clean install of 1607, no updates, absolutely no connectivity to internet. If you have a boot drive I would delete all partitions before re-installling. Please watch where your data is and do not accidentally incinerate it. If you have a lot of drives disconnect them all except for OS drive. Also disconnect extraneous USB devices, printers, scanners, game controllers, etc.

With a clean install you will likely have to disable Secure Boot and Fast boot in BIOS for a successful installation. Please check BIOS and make sure they are disabled.

Assuming 1607 gets installed and is usable I would then disable all driver updates. I use this process in 1607
    Windows + R keys
    Enter Sysdm.cpl
    Click on Hardware tab
    Click on Device Installation Settings
    Click on No
    A menu appears (first time) click Never Install driver software.
    You may get a warning. Click the option that says I’ll take care of it (not exact words)

Once you have drivers updates shut off connect to Internet and see if you can get Window software updates.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 11, 2017
  7. JRH789 Win User
    Hello Ken, did everything, unfortunately i still can't update, for the time being i installed kb4025342 cumulative standalone security patch. I guess it could be the mainboard, i will have to see about maybe flashing it? *Eek

JRH789, Jul 12, 2017
  8. Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors'

Should you decide to flash it obviously note of any changes you made, especially around Boot or Storage. Make sure your power is stable, by this I mean doing during a storm is just asking for trouble. I like to have a UPS in-line. I'd also download manual and have a quick read for do's and don'ts.

What I'm having trouble understanding is that it ran with 1607 and it updated. So why now won't it update. Not understanding relationship between Windows software update and hardware.

Would you mind reviewing your update history to see that the update you installed is the only update the machine received.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 12, 2017
  9. JRH789 Win User
    Hi Ken, sorry, when i installed 1607 i had the same issues as with 1703, i installed a copy of 8.1 and had no problems with updating. Checked the update history and there is only that one update.

JRH789, Jul 12, 2017
  10. Hopefully some member will understand this better than I. Which Gigabyte board do you have?

Ken

11. JRH789 Win User
    Model H81M-DS2V. Realy appreciate your efforts anyway Ken, have emailed Gigabyte regarding this, maybe they can shed some light. Cheers Joe.

JRH789, Jul 12, 2017
  12. Would have liked to crack this. There are two boards with that number, Rev 1.0 and Rev 2.0

Both have a BIOS update for Win 10 to support Pentium AE processor. Rev 1.0 has one other to support Intel Gen 4 processor.

Interesting in FAQ they don't mention supporting Win 10 but both have a BIOS update related to Win 10. Also nothing about not being able to update Windows 10 Anniversary or Creators

This could be a really strange update process. If you load Windows 8.1 after creating a USB key from the Media Creation Tool, which will have the Creators version, and then type Setup against that key I wonder if you will get over the hump.

Ken

13. JRH789 Win User

Hi Ken, Gigabyte just got back to me, found the revision no. on the mainboard it is Rev.1.0, Gigabyte have given me a link to the F6 bios update for Rev 1 and one for the q flash utility (the latter i don't think i need as if i am not wrong it is built in to the UEFI.) Should i first do as you suggest in the last paragraph Ken? and then, only as a last resort flash the bios with the update they gave me? Can't think how a bios update is going to solve this though, Gigabyte didn't mention anything other than hello and follow the links. A mainboard that prevents windows updates, it doesn't seem right does it? but then my knoweledge is v limited. You say there is nothing mentioned re this issue in FAQ. Just my luck, but the challenge is good.

JRH789, Jul 12, 2017
  14. It depends on your time. That is install 8.1 and then upgrading to windows 10 may bring something along that allows it to work but that takes time.

That said, do you have a Pentium processor? If so and they created a BIOS for W10 for Pentiums then it seems like a proper solution.

Every one has had their own experiences flashing BIOS or firmware. DVD's, Printers, Cameras and computers. I've done my fair share without issue. Have solid power and be patience. People say it wasn't doing anything so I powered down, wrong.

It's your call to flash. Did you happen to notice if Gigabyte has forum? I'm with you, a MB that prevents software updates, interesting.

Ken

15. JRH789 Win User
    Will do as you suggest first, then go with the bios update if no go, it is a Pentium processor. will be up all night, just as well i'm on holiday.Gotta get to the bottom of this, also will check to see if they have a forum.
    Once again thanks for your time Ken, will get back to you with the results. bye for now.

JRH789, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cannot update after installation 'errors' - Similar Threads - cannot update installation

2. Cannot Install Windows Update Error 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Install Windows Update Error 0x80073701: I have a laptop with Windows 10, and since November I have not been able to install any cumulative updates. The most recent version is '2021-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5008212'. Meanwhile, security intelligence updates have...
  3. Cannot Install Windows Update Error 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Install Windows Update Error 0x80073701: I have a laptop with Windows 10, and since November I have not been able to install any cumulative updates. The most recent version is '2021-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5008212'. Meanwhile, security intelligence updates have...
  4. Cannot Install Windows Update Error 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017: after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-10-update-cannot-restart-error/7bb1a585-fb5d-4631-bdab-f013be956b88
  6. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017: after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-10-update-cannot-restart-error/7bb1a585-fb5d-4631-bdab-f013be956b88
  7. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

8. SquirrelSetup error after installing Windows 10 update

SquirrelSetup error after installing Windows 10 update: I am running into SquirrelSetup error after installing the Windows 10 update. Here is the start of the error message I get when I try to download Grammarly. 2020-08-20 09:42:32> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install . 2020-08-20 09:42:32> Program: Starting...
  9. SquirrelSetup error after installing the Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SquirrelSetup error after installing the Windows 10 update: I am running into SquirrelSetup error after installing the Windows 10 update. Here is the start of the error message I get when I try to download Grammarly. 2020-08-20 09:42:32> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install . 2020-08-20 09:42:32> Program: Starting...
  10. cannot install updates error windows 10 (windowsupdatefailure3)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot install updates error windows 10 (windowsupdatefailure3): i got this: 127645409975 5 WindowsUpdateFailure3 upon starting windows, prior to connecting to the internet, it said to click an error message to fix it, but before I could, it disappeared. the only thing I could find relating to this error, was for earlier versions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i use my computer while installling updates in win 10?