Windows 10: Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Who on Earth would want to have more than 512 apps displayed in the Start menu?’ That’s probably the first question that comes to mind after reading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

Source

:)

labeeman, Aug 4, 2015
  2. NealSD Win User

Programs Missing From Start Menu (Windows 10)

Update:

I am pretty sure I am being affected by the "more than 512 apps" bug, which causes random apps to disappear from the Windows 10 Start Menu. I apparently have 656 apps, as reported by Get-StartApps mentioned in the post below.

About a month ago they were testing a fix but I can't find anything that says when it will be released...

NealSD, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Office 2016 programs not showing up in 'Start Menu' in Windows 10

Seems like there's a limit to the number of apps that can be displayed in start menu. If you, like me, have more than 512 apps, not all apps will be shown.

To view how many apps you have, type this PowerShell command line :

Get-StartApps | measure

via Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

Benjamin Cambour, Aug 4, 2015
  4. sygnus21 Win User

LOL - that the first question I asked when I saw this title *What

Anyway hope they fix the issue.

sygnus21, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    Maybe someone that beta tests software?? Way too many for me.

Gary, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Anyone with that many apps must be suffering from "app-oplexy."

Not Myself, Aug 4, 2015
  7. 511, here so I'm good, for now. I think I need a bigger monitor though. *Wink

alphanumeric, Aug 4, 2015
  8. owensdj Win User

Having some apps is good, so having more must be better.

owensdj, Aug 4, 2015
  9. DKW
    DKW Win User
    Who counts them! *Doh
    "I'm not gonna count them, you count them!"

10. There's an app for that. *Tongue *chuckle

alphanumeric, Aug 4, 2015
  11. Antilope Win User
    The person that tried to load the 513th app and failed sure must have a lot of time on their hands. *Rolleyes

Maybe they should do a clean install of Windows 10 and try again. *Party

They probably know how many installs can be done from a USB flash drive before it wears out. *Eek

Antilope, Aug 4, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's the whole point of a CASCADING menu system - you only need to display a few and then "Drill down".

Actually with the better (IMO) search function I don't even bother using the menu much any more apart from starting it up - I then simply type anywhere in the menu area the name of the application -- it appears often after you've only typed 3 or 4 characters.

Things like Mobile phones and tablets which rely on HORIZONTAL scrolling mechanisms for applications might well find the 512 limit a pain - but I hate that whole mechanism of scrolling endlessly anyway.

The W10 search for me works brilliantly -- I hide the bottom search bar - it's easier just to type on the menu area what you want to run. I only use the menu just to see what's installed and sometimes by "Opening File Location" I can pin the application either to quick launch taskbar or Desktop (or both).

It would be even better if you could just type on the desktop area without even having to use the menu at all (perhaps that's what they SHOULD have done in W8) but the current method is just fine.

I agree with the other posts -- some people obviously have TOO MUCH time on their hands -- as they say "The Devil makes work for Idle Hands" !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

May I ask why you have so many?

FuturDreamz, Aug 4, 2015
  14. patrickt Win User
    How can people make fun over this. My cousin who collected Beanie Babies might well start collecting apps. I can see a whole new market for collectable apps with themes. Apps inspired by romance novels might be a big seller.

patrickt, Aug 4, 2015
  15. ShonkaiDJ Win User
    I'm afraid many of the 'applications' (Apps can't be displayed in this menu), are also executables found by Windows that I wouldn't have had in the old startmenu. So the count is much higher than what would be found in my personal and the all users start menu folder.

That is the problem.

So if you're really good at not using ' too many programs' -which I find a very strange thing to consider yourself a cool dude by-, count the exe files in your Alphabet-menu and tell me how many programs are in there you do NOT use. Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu :)

That wud be cool. ;-)

ShonkaiDJ, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Can't Display More

2. More Start Menu Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Start Menu Features: Will you be adding and or bringing back any start menu features? As it is now it favors searching through and scrolling through lists. As far as visually navigating, the UI experience is very lacking. Half of the real estate is taken up by recommended apps leaving precious...
  3. More Start Menu Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    More Start Menu Features: Will you be adding and or bringing back any start menu features? As it is now it favors searching through and scrolling through lists. As far as visually navigating, the UI experience is very lacking. Half of the real estate is taken up by recommended apps leaving precious...
  4. Can't Click on Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Click on Start Menu Apps: When I open the start menu and try to search for something/click on something it doesn't do anything. After restarting, sometimes it doesn't even let me click on the windows button at all (I can still open it with the windows key.) I've seen a lot of threads on this but...
  5. More Groups on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  6. Start Menu not displaying All apps

Start Menu not displaying All apps: Performed an upgrade from Windows 8.1. When I select "All apps" from the Start Menu, I notice that not all the apps are displayed. May have found a bug in Windows 10 release. Anyone else having this issue? 10241
  7. Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Can't pin apps to start-menu.: Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there, but not apps, or any personal folders. You're stuck with some automated...
  8. Windows 10 uses more data than displayed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 uses more data than displayed: So far I have only connected my laptop to my phone's hotspot. My phone can monitor the amount of data my laptop is using whenever it is using it's laptop. What concerns me is that, the data used by the laptop displayed on my phone is 800 MB, but Data App Usage is claiming to...
  9. start menu stuck displaying all apps

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu stuck displaying all apps: so...as the title suggests, my stepfather's start menu is stuck on all apps....how do I unfrak this? [img] 60633
  10. Can't access more than 100 screensavers in settings menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access more than 100 screensavers in settings menu?: I have lots of small screensavers installed - many are just variations and sets of a similar theme, but show individually in the screensavers settings drop-down box. It seems that I cannot access anything beyond the first 100 - for me that means anything after midway through...