Windows 10: Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel

Discus and support Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I need help. About a week ago Windows 10 started working in an abnormal manner on my PC: I wasn't able to open File Explorer or Control Panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by okcancel, Dec 27, 2015.

1. okcancel Win User

Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel

Hi,
    I need help. About a week ago Windows 10 started working in an abnormal manner on my PC: I wasn't able to open File Explorer or Control Panel, whether from the start menu or from basically any application that calls for those (file explorer or control panel).

I tried running command prompt (admin) sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth commands several times but that doesn't fix the problem at all. As a last resort I downloaded a brand new Windows 10 ISO file from the Microsoft site and performed a clean installation formatting my HDD. Things were OK the first minutes, but then the problem starts again with the each new installation of Windows. I don't know what is causing File Explorer and control panel to crash, maybe its a faulty driver or windows update itself. I have installed Windows 10 from that ISO file several times and every time after a few minutes of me doing nothing with the computer, it fails again.

The first driver I update to be able to use my monitor is the nVidia driver (361.43).

:)

okcancel, Dec 27, 2015

2. I cannot open my file explorer, control panel or recycle bin in Win 10.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I clicked on the start menu I didn’t get a search box, except Cortana which is also available on my desktop. So I right-clicked the windows icon at the bottom left and chose the “search “ option. It opened Cortana also. That directed me to the
    Settings>Windows Update.

Typing “View Installed Updates – Control Panel” froze up the computer momentarily again and opened a page which only went back to 12/8 (the date of my earliest restore point, which I’m already restored to). There was
    nothing about the control panel there. I wouldn’t have known which update to remove. Much more, I’m not sure the problem started on 12/8.

Opening the run dialogue box (W+R) and typing “control panel” produced the same result as clicking on the icon. The computer froze up a moment, flickered to a black screen and resumed working but no control panel was opened.

I’m really confused here. I’ll set up another account and let you know how that went tomorrow.

BishopLawrence, Dec 27, 2015
  3. I cannot open my file explorer, control panel or recycle bin in Win 10.

I'm trying to avoid having to reset my computer and reinstall my apps. I cannot open my file explorer, control panel or recycle bin in Win 10.

I have gone back to the furthest restore point I can find. Unfortunately that's only about 8 days back. (Anyone know how to go find older restore points than the ones clicking on the "find other restore points" button?)

I suspect I can't open most anything that looks like a file folder but these are the big three I need to be able to open and work with. I haven't loaded anything onto the computer except updates. Even if I had, I can't get into the control panel to remove
    them.

This really sucks and is making it tough to work. Anyone got any ideas short of resetting the damned thing?

Thanks in advance.

BishopLawrence, Dec 27, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, do you have any such crashes in Safe Mode? Please try- you would not be using the Nvidia driver then.
    (You could access Safe Mode via SHIFT + restart and work through the rather confusing set of menus to Safe Mode).

The clean installation would seem to eliminate 3rd party programs as it sounds as if you hadn't time to install any.
    Can you find any useful reports in the Event Log? (See event viewer).

If you complete your system specs, someone might be able to offer advice on your hardware.
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Another completely different line would be a hardware fault, of course, as you say the problem developed suddenly with your PC, and persists after a clean install.

dalchina, Dec 28, 2015
  5. okcancel Win User
    Thank you, yes, in safe mode the File Explorer and Control Panel work normally and the OS seems perfectly fine (except that is in Safe Mode). I checked the Event Viewer for errors and I have a lot of them; the ones that appear lot are:

"Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d4c0
    Faulting module name: USER32.dll, version: 10.0.10586.20, time stamp: 0x565423d2
    Exception code: 0xc000041d"

and

"Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsPhone_8wekyb3d8bbwe!CompanionApp.App failed with error: The specified module could not be found. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

also

"Event provider $Core attempted to register query "select * from __ClassOperationEvent" whose target class "__ClassOperationEvent" in //./root namespace does not exist. The query will be ignored."

I also have a lot of errors on "System" on the Event Viewer. Should I list them too?
    I thought at first the display driver was causing all of this but I installed and used a different card and the problem persists. *Sad

okcancel, Dec 28, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, good to eliminate graphics issues.

I would suggest some elementary checks: run chkdsk C: /F from an admin command prompt - also check the SMART parameters.
    then a RAM check.

Since any installation is now giving a range of problems, it's time to look at the hardware.
    Note there could be other things interfering of course.

You could try disabling drivers for other hardware in Dev. Manager.

It works (apparently) in Safe Mode- so time to start thinking- what's different in normal mode.
    As you've presumably nothing installed, there should be just other OS processes and drivers. So perhaps a process of elimination might be the easiest way to proceed.

Sysinternals Autoruns should help with startups. Remember it needs to be run in admin mode to change the state of any.

dalchina, Dec 28, 2015
  7. okcancel Win User
    I think I know what's preventing File Explorer and Control panel from opening: every time I change the size of the apps, text, etc with the Settings > System > Display menu to 175% or smaller, I need to sign out for the changes to take effect, but after that Windows malfunctions again. If set the display to scale the apps, text, etc to 200% (system recommended) then File Explorer and Control panel works perfectly after I sign out/sign in.

I have a Dell UP2414Q 4K that is using a Windows driver. I still need help please because I would like to scale down everything on Windows interface to 175% or less, and that wasn't causing Windows to work abnormally until recently. BTW Dell doesn't have a driver for Windows 10 for my monitor yet.

Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel [​IMG]

okcancel, Dec 29, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Try a recommended scaling factor from the drop down menu in Control Panel/Display; I find there's still lots of inconsistencies between the two, Settings and Control Panel.

Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 29, 2015
  9. okcancel Win User
    Thank you Edwin, that worked, unfortunately if I set a custom scale like 175%, which would be appropriate for my monitor, file Explorer/Control panel stop working again, but if I choose an option from the drop down menu, the problem is fixed.

For now I will have to use a scale of 200% to even be able to use Windows 10.
    Thank you dalchina and Edwin.

okcancel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can't open File Explorer or Control Panel - Similar Threads - can't open File

2. error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.: I can't open Control PanelWhen i try open Control Panel, windows show this error message:We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'. To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.and link of Learn more is not working...
  3. error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.: I can't open Control PanelWhen i try open Control Panel, windows show this error message:We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'. To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.and link of Learn more is not working...
  4. Can't access any files, file explorer stops working after opening, control panel won't open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access any files, file explorer stops working after opening, control panel won't open.: Windows 11 Pro 64bitI have been chasing this rabbit for a couple of days now. When I try to open a folder it will pop up but will become unresponsive, I can't use file explorer as it will do the same thing. I can't save anything, files, and folders show up but cannot access...
  5. Can't access any files, file explorer stops working after opening, control panel won't open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access any files, file explorer stops working after opening, control panel won't open.: Windows 11 Pro 64bitI have been chasing this rabbit for a couple of days now. When I try to open a folder it will pop up but will become unresponsive, I can't use file explorer as it will do the same thing. I can't save anything, files, and folders show up but cannot access...
  6. Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 opening Control Panel closes File Explorer: On my Surface Pro 4, if I have File Explorer open and then open Control Panel via a search from the Start menu, File Explorer will close and Control Panel will open at the same location and windows size as the File Explorer which was closed. If I open Control Panel first,...
  7. Can't open file explorer, control panel, and task manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open file explorer, control panel, and task manager: When I go to open file explorer, nothing happens. When I go to open control panel, the window appears but no icons show up. When I go to open Task Manager, I get the error 'C:\windows\system32\DUI70.dll'. I looked up how to resolve this issue, and it says to do a sfc...
  8. Can't open folders and control panel.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open folders and control panel.: I can't open folders, or right click them... when i try to do it the screen goes blank for a few seconds then all my icons refresh and nothing else happens. I tried to change the size of my "text, apps and other items" to 125% and 100% ( i had 100% when this started to...
  9. Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant open control panel / explorer refreshes: Not sure when this issue arrised but i tried to adjust my sound devices today going to start>control panel and the screen blinks while explorer refreshes...? I did an SFC /SCANNOW and it found some corruption and repaired it. I rebooted and same problem. Did a virus...
  10. cant open file explorer, control panel...

in Windows 10 Support
    cant open file explorer, control panel...: Weird issue with Acer CB280HK 4k Monitor So, I was lucky enough to get a new monitor and new pc the other day; a dell xps 8700, and for purposes of this discussion, the video card set up is a intel hd graphics 4600 board, and a Nvidia GTX745, with 4 gigs of ram. The...