Windows 10: Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

Discus and support Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So last week my computer updated to Windows 10, and ever since then I've been unable to open the start menu or open settings. When ever I click on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fakesteven, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

So last week my computer updated to Windows 10, and ever since then I've been unable to open the start menu or open settings. When ever I click on the start menu button in the bottom corner it's process for a couple of seconds and then nothing will happen. The shortcut for start menu on the keyboard doesn't work either. I'm also unable to open settings, when I do nothing happens either. I've done a malware scan and it doesn't seem like my computer has malware or a virus so I think it's a problem with the update. I'd prefer not to reinstall windows 10, is there anyway to fix this without doing so?

:)

Fakesteven, Dec 13, 2017

2. Windows 10 start menu and Cortana (?) notworking. Can't get to setting because of this to apply fixes. Anyone know how to get to setting when start menu will not open

Windows 10 start menu and Cortana (?) not working. Can't get to setting because of this to apply fixes. Anyone know how to get to setting when start menu will not open?

DonaldBarnhart05, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Can't open Start Menu or Settings in Windows 10 Creators Update

Hi Michael,

This is commonly caused by a
    corrupted system files. Please do a clean boot to stop non Microsoft services from running,
    check if you can access Settings and Start.

If you can, then, create a new profile or local account.

If you can't, then, we suggest updating to the latest Windows 10 build. Updating Windows overwrites current system files with the defaults. That should rectify the concern.

Note: If you're going to update Windows, stay on clean boot to isolate conflicting variables.

Don't hesitate to update us if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Roberto Ven, Dec 13, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

Press the Win key+X and choose Command Prompt (with Admin) or Power Shell (with Admin) and type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

spunk, Dec 14, 2017
  5. This fixed my settings, but I still can't open up startmenu. I did it again, it says that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Fakesteven, Dec 14, 2017
  6. Try to create a new user account and see if it helps. If not, open PowerShell in admin mode:

Copy/paste the cmd line and press enter:

Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] This command line sets Start Menu (tiles) and MS apps the way it is after a clean install. You must pin to start after.

NOTE: To open Powershell with no start menu, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager. Click on File menu > Run new task/type powershell and check << Create this task with administrative privileges >>/OK

MikeMecanic, Dec 14, 2017
  7. This command line sets Start Menu (tiles) and MS apps the way it is after a clean install. You must pin to start after.

NOTE: To open Powershell with no start menu, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager. Click on File menu > Run new task/type powershell and check << Create this task with administrative privileges >>/OK[/quote] Using another account didn't work, but PowerShell did. Thank you

Fakesteven, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

1. Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings - Similar Threads - Can't open start

2. Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu, Settings will not open. Windows 11: Just got a new PC.At first it worked fine. After a restart I was unable to make many basic interactions.While the taskbar is functional and I can open programs from it, I am unable to do the following:- Right Click programs to close/pin ect- Open the start menu. It simply...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!: My cousin has an Asus G14 Laptop, the one with a ryzen 9 and an rtx 2060. I'm trying to fix it with all the top results on YouTube and chrome relating to "windows 10 Start Menu won't open", but none of them are working. My cousin said the last thing he remembers doing before...
  4. Can't open start menu in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open start menu in windows 10: After upgrading to windows 10, I can't open start menu everything else is working superfine, but the start menu doesn't work even if pressing the Windows button on keyboard or start button on the Windows taskbar...
  5. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything: When I started my PC today I couldn't use the start menu and the toolbar wouldn't disappear in full screen videos also i tried to open settings it say that the settings don't exsist I have tried all the solutions I could find including on other discussion so what should I...
  6. Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen: So yeah.. title? I don't know how or why it happened. One day, it just kinda did, without any possible explanation. Please help me fix these problems, they're the only reason I went and made an account here. I previously had issues with this system, but none were as annoying...
  7. Windows 10 start menu and settings will not open.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu and settings will not open.: Everything was working perfectly until all these issues came up at the same time. Anyone know anything that would resolve this problems?Already tried restarting the computer, SFC /scannow on PowerShell, and restarting explorer.exe. They sometimes provide temporary fixes but...
  8. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  9. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...
  10. Windows 10 Home. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home. Can't open start menu: Brand new windows, brand new problems. Hello, today i upgraded to Windows 10 Home, from windwos 7 home premium. And now i can't open start menu... Also there is no windows update? Is there windows update in windows 10 or is my issue again? I tried sfc /scannow and something...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant sign in to settings from start menu

2. cant open settings in start menu for windows 10

3. windows 10 cant open settings or start menu