Windows 10: Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep

Discus and support Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have been using the same Windows 10 password to log in upon start and to wake the computer for over a year. Today when I entered that same password... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CODeb, Jan 27, 2017.

1. CODeb Win User

Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep

I have been using the same Windows 10 password to log in upon start and to wake the computer for over a year. Today when I entered that same password to gain access after the computer went to sleep, it no longer worked. I tried every password I could think of, and finally gained access using my Microsoft OneDrive password, which I never use for anything (I don't even use OneDrive).

Looking online it says that the Microsoft password may have been used, but it should have been the one associated with my email address. It wasn't. Also, I did not set a Microsoft password - I was using a Local password only. Now I have no local password in my User Accounts - only the Microsoft password.

Why would Windows change the administrator login password without my doing anything to change it? And what can I do to get it back to the way it was before and make sure this never happens again?

Thanks so much,
    Deb

:)

CODeb, Jan 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 problems with login even with password change

I cannot login to Win 10 on the first login even with password changes. This didn't happen until MS did the most recent update a couple of days ago. I can log into Microsoft itself with the same passwords.

&JudHoffman, Jan 27, 2017
  3. Password issue

Quite awhile ago Microsoft upgraded my computer to Windows 10 at night while I was asleep. Though I wasn't happy about being forced into Windows 10, I have adjusted. Today I reset/changed my password, rebooted and now the computer says the password is
    incorrect.

How do I go into the computer as an admin and reset the password again? I am not a geek so assume I need detailed instructions (because I probably do).

DebbieTaylor1956, Jan 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It could be corupt or you could have been hacked?

Samuria, Jan 27, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Apparently it's easy to accidentally switch yourself from a local account to a Microsoft account without noticing. Signing in to the Store can do it, I understand there is a box you have to tick to say 'no, just use this sign-in for the Store'. If that's what's happened here, it's easy enough to switch back to a local account. These Tutorials should help...
    Local Account or Microsoft Account - How to Tell in Windows 10
    Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

6. CODeb Win User
    Ah, Bree that is exactly what happened. I did sign in to the Microsoft Store to download a recommended app. I didn't see the box for No (and I usually look for those things with an untrusted source especially. Didn't consider that MS would be a problem).

Thanks for the links to show how to switch back to a local account. And thanks to all on this forum for your amazing assistance.

Deb

CODeb, Jan 27, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Let's clarify this!

I'll start with this: Windows will never, ever change the password for a user account by itself. Windows will never, ever change the account from local to Microsoft account or vice versa by itself. This is always done by user him / herself.

A question, no answer required or expected:

If a Windows user blindly clicks OK, Next, Accept or similar buttons in prompts show to him / her without reading the text, warnings, information or explanations in these prompts, and then something happens against this user's will, whose fault is it? Microsoft's, or user's own?

I simply cannot understand how Windows could make this more clear for the user! When signing in to Windows with a local account and then using an app that requires a Microsoft account (Windows Store, Mail, People, Solitaire, whatever), this will be shown:

Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep [​IMG]

Notice that this prompt will be shown absolutely every time a local user account user launches an app requiring a Microsoft account first time. No exceptions, users saying they didn't get this prompt are (to put it simple) lying telling something that is not true.

In screenshot I have highlighted the title of the prompt with green. It couldn't be much clearer: Sign in to this device using your Microsoft account?

The yellow highlight shows an explanation for this: If you continue, you will from now on sign in to Windows using your Microsoft account instead of your previous local account.

The blue highlight shows you the alternative, the way to use this app (Store in my example case) without converting your current Windows 10 user account to a Microsoft account. Again very clearly said: Sign in to just this app instead.

Short: If you when the above prompt is shown select to enter your current password and click Next, you have selected completely by yourself to switch your current local user account to a Microsoft account. You did it, no one else to blame.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep - Similar Threads - changed login password

2. Computer crashes while asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes while asleep: When I wake up the computer after a long sleep overnight, for example, it sometimes opens such that:-Chrome has been closed-Most edge tabs have been closed-All open Notepad files have been replaced by Unnamed files-All Word files have been closed, even if they weren't...
  3. How change LOGIN password to Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How change LOGIN password to Windows 10: I just tried to change my login password to my computer. Followed the instructions and got no error message. However, when I rebooted and tried to sign in, it wouldn't accept my new password. It only accepted my old password. Need help here, thanks. I also noticed that I...
  4. Clock keeps changed ahead while asleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clock keeps changed ahead while asleep: Have an older HP Envy 27in All-in-one on Win10. Clock for the last couple months keep moving ahead very fast every time it sleeps. I've checked BIOS and the clock is running 4 secs for every 1 actual second. I changed battery just to be sure. It's still doing it. Overnight...
  5. changing my windows 10 login password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing my windows 10 login password: Hi, I am going to change the login password of my windows 10 to a new one. my problem is that when I am trying to enter my current password, I receive a notice that says 'the password you entered in incorrect. try again.', although, I am entering the correct password by...
  6. Unable to login or change password Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to login or change password Windows 10: Hi, After a recent system update, my PC no longer accepts my password at login. When I try using the forgot my password button I get the error message "Windows couldn't connect to the ProfSvc service. Contact your system administrator." I am the system admin. When I tried...
  7. Change of login password in windows 10

Change of login password in windows 10: Hi, I am having trouble changing the login password for my windows 10 PC. I have tried changing it via the 'Change Password' option in Settings but all that does is change the Microsoft Account Password. I need to change the password I use to log in to the PC daily and not...
  8. Windows 10 Login Password Change

Windows 10 Login Password Change: I have changed my email password which i thought would have synced with my windows10 login. How do I get them to be the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-login-password-change/e7a8490d-40f3-416b-90d4-8bf88679235c"
  9. Windows 10 Password Changed By Itself

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Password Changed By Itself: I have two laptops with Windows 10. Their windows password differs only with a "1" being added to the password of the other laptop. The mystery is that today I found that the laptop without the "1" needed it. I swear I did nothing to change it. It must be Window 10. Another...
  10. Backup while PC asleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup while PC asleep: I have scheduled my PC, running Windows 10, to backup to an external hard disk at 2am. As I am sure you know, having read so many complaints on different websites, this doesn't work because the PC is in sleep mode and doesn't wake up to perform the task. The result is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 changed login password by itself while asleep