Windows 10: Windows 10 changed my user name

Discus and support Windows 10 changed my user name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I upgraded from Win 7 a few weeks back, but it ran painfully slow and I didn't have the time to get into it, so I went back to 7 using my latest image... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mr Grumpy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Mr Grumpy Win User

Windows 10 changed my user name

I upgraded from Win 7 a few weeks back, but it ran painfully slow and I didn't have the time to get into it, so I went back to 7 using my latest image file. Now that I do have some time - I did the upgrade and clean install method, no speed issues whatsoever now.

During the first upgrade I used my Microsoft account, but I didn't like the way it only used the first five letters of my account name for the User directories. The second time around I used a local account and everything worked fine. Now, two days later I do a restart and my local account has been replaced with the Microsoft account that I used the first time around. But - the User directories are still named for the local account I used.

I have no problem with this, but what I don't get is how it happened, considering I reformatted both my hard drives prior to doing the clean install. As far as I can tell everything seems to be working fine as I downloaded a few small files and they saved in the Users/Dwayne/Downloads directory. My only concern is whether this will cause me grief down the road. Just starting to install all my software & don't really want to do this all over again.

Thx

:)

Mr Grumpy, Aug 28, 2015

2. Changed device name but user name remained unchanged

Hi Norbert,

Changing the device name may take effect after restarting your computer. It's like making some changes to your computer and needs a restart or reboot for the changes to take effect. However, we suggest that you check if the old user profile are still on
    your computer. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Signed out from the profile that you want to change or remove.
    • Go to System Properties.
    • Press the Windows + R on your keyboard, then yype in SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe on the dialogue box.
    • Once done, click on Settings button under User Profiles.
    • Choose the user profile that you want, then click on delete if it's still there.
    • Click Yes to confirm.

We're looking forward to your feedback

Carlos Tin, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Changed device name but user name remained unchanged

Hello,

I have changed device name but when I see folder "c:\users" there is still old user name.

I use windows 10pro. I am signed in with Microsoft account.

Thnaks

NorbertNowak1, Aug 28, 2015
  4. pjstar35 Win User

I have a similar problem. The Windows 10 laptop is my wife's computer which I use on rare occasion. Last night I went on the Windows 10 "app store" to down a Speed Test app and it asked me to log into my Windows Account. I put in my information, logged in, downloaded the app and that was that. Then today my wife turns the laptop on to use it and my Windows account has now replaced her Windows account. I'm not sure why it did this as I was logged into the computer through her account and just used my information to log into the app store when it asked me to.

pjstar35, Sep 2, 2015
  5. me75006 Win User
    I had the same thing happen after I logged in to the Win 10 'Store'. Luckily I had a Restore point saved, and used that to get back to where I wanted things.

From that point on, I will no longer use the Windows 10 Store; for anything.

me75006, Sep 2, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    Ditto me for mine. Original user folder maintained through upgrade (local account, associated MS account during setup), then during clean install I just tendered the MS account email and got a user folder labeled with the first 5 letters of that email.

If it bothers you, someone in another thread suggested creating the original user as a local account, (selectively) restoring data that matters from the original account from a backup (if you have it, which I do), optionally associating the MS account with the new (old named) user account, and then abandoning the first account you set up with clean install (migrating any abandoned account data that matters first to your preferred account). I've got that as a low priority on my to-do list for the moment.

Of course, WHY what I just suggested might get replaced with a 5 letter account name I intended to abandon a few days later, as you describe, huh - no idea.

Word Man, Sep 3, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    It is quite normal for the name in C:\Users not to change if you convert from a local to MS account and it doesn't cause any issues. In fact I set up Users as local accounts and then convert them to MS accounts specifically to get around the truncated names.

I've no idea how the system decided on it own to convert from a local to MS account though. That seems a bit peculiar. Perhaps you used some App (Store, Mail, OneDrive or something), signed in and took the option to convert by mistake?

lx07, Sep 3, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The account name and the login method that that particular account name uses are two separate things. You can switch back and forth between Microsoft account login and local account login on the same account name and the account name won't change.

When the account is first created, if it is initially created as a local account, then the name for the account you enter will be used for the account name. If you first use a Microsoft account, then windows will use the first 5 letters to create the account name.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  9. Shardik Win User
    How? I can't seem to find it.

Shardik, Dec 22, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's in Settings -> Accounts:

Windows 10 changed my user name [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2015
  11. Shardik Win User
    Wow. That seems easy. Can't believe I missed it.

Thanks so much!

Shardik, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 changed my user name - Similar Threads - changed user name

2. User name change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User name change: I had a user name in my laptop. Then I signed in my microsoft outlook account. My pc now shows that Microsoft account name. I wanna change my user name. But still the user name as in the command prompt did not change. How to change my user name. Moreover, in my control pannel...
  3. Change User Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User Name: Hello, I recently refreshed my windows 11 and the user name was set to 'hp'. I went to settings and renamed it. However, the folder present in c:\Users\User Name hasn't changed yet. I tried restarting and renaming. No effect. Please help.......
  4. "Changing" User name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Changing" User name?: I have read that changing the user name is difficult if not near impossible but I am thinking more like creating a new local account, copying across any data and then deleting the original account.I am just looking for the best way to do this.Now we tried adding a new "other...
  5. Windows 10 user name changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 user name changing: I followed the directions that were posted on the forums did all of that but the name would change after I okayed everything. I went to change my account type to the system owner or something similar to that and next thing I know I go to change my name hoping that would fix...
  6. Change of user name

Change of user name: Hello, I use Office 365 and Windows 10 pro. My problem is as follows: 1) When I install Windows onto my PC, somewhere along the process you are asked to fill in your user name. I do that using my own name, like "first name" space "last name". Later that name is visible...
  7. User name change windows 10

User name change windows 10: Hello. I hope there is a brainbox out there to give me some solid help. I have changed laptops from a Dell using windows 10 to an Asus using windows 10. I am the only user (administrator). I copied files I wanted on the old laptop across to the new laptop. However the user...
  8. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. changing user name

changing user name: I usually use my first name as a user name. On a new computer with Windows 10, the setup required a Microsoft account set up with email address and abbreviated the user name to the first part of the email address. So now I have an incorrect user name on this computer and...
  10. CHANGING USER NAMES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USER NAMES: Am using Windows 10 on two different laptops which, when in use are logged into the same MS account. I have a particular piece of software on each laptop where I want to set the backup path to my OneDrive, however, the path on each laptop differs slightly, as follows:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why did windows take some letters from my email address and make it my user name in windows explorer

2. my user name in windows 10 Users