Windows 10: Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk

Discus and support Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm not sure how to phrase it, but on previous editions of Windows. My username would be my actual name. When I went to the User folder on my local... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by EchoX860, Aug 16, 2015.

1. EchoX860 Win User

Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk

I'm not sure how to phrase it, but on previous editions of Windows. My username would be my actual name. When I went to the User folder on my local disc, the user folder said EchoX which is my Microsoft email. How can I change it back to Joshua

:)

EchoX860, Aug 16, 2015

2. How to change the Username when signed in with a MS account

I'm using windows 10 and 8.1 with the same microsoft account (so not a local profile) wich was created on windows 8.1 earlier. I'd like to change my username but I can't find any ways to do it. In settings/accounts I don't see any options to change my username
    and on microsoft's website I already changed something called "name" but it seems like it has nothing to do with my username at, it's still the same as it was. Is it even possible to do it?

How to change my username?- Original Title

Azazel9088, Aug 16, 2015
  3. AndreePin Win User
    Quick Access Icon Issue

Hi,

To have the said desktop icon changed, what we can suggest is for you to have it unpinned to your Username profile. To do this, you have to go to your This PC > Local Disk (CWindows 10 changed my username on Local Disk :) > Users > (your username) and then right click and have the icon unpinned.

Let us know how it goes.

AndreePin, Aug 16, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

You can't realistically change the name C:\Users\EchoX to C:\Users\Joshua. There are just too many unknown places the name is stored (registry, %appdata%, unknown files for specific programs). You would have to update them all manually and you would miss some. I know as I've tried. Things just fail as they look for the old name.

Your best bet is to do the following:

1. Create a local administrator account called Joshua (see option 3 here User Account - Add in Windows 10 ) and sign on to it. (Signing on creates the required files in C:\Users)
    2. Convert your EchoX to a local account (see Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 )
    3. Switch your new Joshua account to a MS account linked to your EchoX email address. (see Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 )
    4. Copy any documents, files, pictures etc you want from the old EchoX account to your new Joshua account.
    5. Eventually (when you are happy Joshua account is working OK) you can delete EchoX user. (See User Account - Delete in Windows 10 )

Windows 10 (and 8.x also) makes up odd names in C:\Users. It is better if you care about this (which I do) to create a local account and then switch it (after signing on to it) to a MS account as it keeps the same name as the original local account in the Users folder.

5. EchoX860 Win User
    Thanks for this! I attempted a clean install again, while I was awaiting a response to see if something messed up originally and was curious if I could just create a local account with the name "Joshua" then connect it to my MS account would that work too?

EchoX860, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk - Similar Threads - changed username Local

2. Changed The Username Located In Local Disk C: Users And Can't Go Back.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changed The Username Located In Local Disk C: Users And Can't Go Back.: So, I went and changed it, but that changed everything. My desktop looks different. All the stuff I had on the old user is still there and I can still access it but not from the desktop like I used to. I don't like this change and want to go back to how it used to be. Problem...
  3. Changed The Username Located In Local Disk C: Users And Can't Go Back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed The Username Located In Local Disk C: Users And Can't Go Back.: So, I went and changed it, but that changed everything. My desktop looks different. All the stuff I had on the old user is still there and I can still access it but not from the desktop like I used to. I don't like this change and want to go back to how it used to be. Problem...
  4. local disk changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    local disk changing: The current Local disk that has windows is 110Gb and ive connected another 931GB one. Im not sure how to move everything from the 110 to 931 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-changing/b5ef9c3c-9fb0-4d95-bb52-28e6cad9a914
  5. local disk changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    local disk changing: The current Local disk that has windows is 110Gb and ive connected another 931GB one. Im not sure how to move everything from the 110 to 931 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disk-changing/b5ef9c3c-9fb0-4d95-bb52-28e6cad9a914
  6. local disk changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Changing local account username in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing local account username in Windows 10: Hi All, I would like to change my local windows account in windows 10 home. but strangely I do not see any option. Dont think it is an advance setting for it to be so hard to find. I am only seeing "sign in to microsoft account" under Account settings. Please let me...
  8. Local Windows Username

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local Windows Username: In the C:/User/%user% on my computer my name's last letter is cut off. How do I go about fixing such? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-windows-username/ed985e8a-5636-4304-95bc-00241772c6d0
  9. How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the Windows 10 truncated local account username?: This is change is vital. I have over 200 links in onenote to my old user name. 3 years work !!!! I had to recover my computer and now none of those links work. I have tried creating a local user, but it is not showing up as an alternate user. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...
  10. Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing the Windows 10 truncated local account username: This has been discussed before, however, for some strange reason it was closed before a solution was posted. After the Windows 7 May security update, my system bit the dust. So, I purchase a copy of Windows 10, USB version from Amazon. ISSUE: Windows 10, version 1809...