Windows 10: Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update

Discus and support Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Ever since I updated Windows 10 to the creators update a few weeks ago, my HP Spectre laptop at startup has a message that pops up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by radar2000, Jun 14, 2017.

1. radar2000 Win User

Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update

Hi everyone.

Ever since I updated Windows 10 to the creators update a few weeks ago, my HP Spectre laptop at startup has a message that pops up asking to perform a chkdsk or press space bar within 8 seconds.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to stop/get rid of this from appearing at startup?

Cheers!

:)

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017

2. Was a hard drive test (e.g., CHKDSK) added to the boot sequence for Windows 10 Creators Update?

Thanks slance310.

A few miscellaneous items:

• As someone who has developed Microsoft software since MS-DOS in the 1970s I didn't mean to suggest that CHKDSK was new. Only to suggest that there is some kind of boot scan taking place since Creators Update that acts like CHKDSK. Sorry for the confusion.

• I tried turning off Fast Startup initially. No change unfortunately.

• You're correct there is a drive (\\?\Volume...) GUID displayed when you launch Disk Optimization (or Defrag). But the volume GUID displayed during boot is for the C drive.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

IMPORTANT:

There is a discussion thread for what appears to be the same or similar issue here.

"Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update"

Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Sadly, I could not find a fix that appeared to apply to me in all the comments.

sdmike1974, Jun 14, 2017
  3. Strange message about disk checking, without actually checking anything..

I just got the creators update and started getting this same message on every startup.

"To turn off Disk Check, press any key in x number of seconds."

nick zelinsky, Jun 14, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jun 14, 2017
  5. radar2000 Win User
    Thanks for the response @spunk.

I followed your instructions but unfortunately I get the same message at startup.

Just some additional info... my HP has an SSD.

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers!

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    First, unplug any external HDD's you may have connected so that only the HDD in the laptop is affected.
    If you read the link provided in post #2 you would see you first have to clear the Dirty Bit by typing
    fsutil dirty query C: and pressing Enter. It should say the disk is Dirty or Not Dirty (Clean)
    Now set the drive to not check the C: drive by typing
    chkntfs /X C: and pressing Enter. Now do a manual check of the drive, Type
    chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes. And restart the computer.
    Check Disk will run one more time and it will take a long time. When it's done, it should no longer have the problem

spunk, Jun 14, 2017
  7. radar2000 Win User
    So that we're clear, my laptop does not have an HDD... it only has an SSD. Does this make a difference in your instructions above?

Cheers!

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

No, SSD or HDD either way they are relatively the same as far as Windows is concerned.

spunk, Jun 14, 2017
  9. radar2000 Win User
    When I enter fsutil dirty query C: into the cmd prompt I get an "access is denied" message.

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  10. radar2000 Win User
    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  11. radar2000 Win User
    @spunk... I figured out that I needed to run those commands in an elevated cmd mode.

I ran the following in the elevated cmd mode...

chkntfs
    chkntfs /x c:

Which both gave me the same results as described on that link. After which I restarted my laptop to find the same "To stop chkdsk, press any key within 8 seconds" message at the HP startup/boot screen.

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  12. I had a similar problem after the last cumulative update. Let the chkdsk continue and complete at startup. Then, from the admin prompt, enter chkdsk /r and press enter. You will be prompted to restart to run the command because your C drive is allocated. Restart your PC and let chkdsk run. This will take a while, but your problem should be corrected.

TexasBandit, Jun 14, 2017
  13. radar2000 Win User

Thanks for your response TexasBandit.

I did do that last night...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Chkdsk /r

The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I then pressed Y and then I manually rebooted the laptop.

Still the same message popped up and it somewhat counted down from 8 to 7 seconds, but immediately went to the windows desktop screen.

Please note that I never press any key to stop the chkdsk process at startup... the laptop I guess boots up too fast and immediately goes to the windows desktop screen.

Cheers!

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  14. radar2000 Win User
    Here's a video capture of what exactly happens at startup...

[youtube]6c5sl8zAcYo[/youtube]

radar2000, Jun 14, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    What version and os build of Windows do you have? Run Winver to find out. The Creators Update (version 1703) had a known issue with Chkdsk failing to run at boot up. This was fixed in os build 15063.296. See...

Chkdsk not working?

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Check Disk at every startup since creators update - Similar Threads - Check Disk every

2. Disk Check on EVERY Boot since Dusting the PC!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Check on EVERY Boot since Dusting the PC!: Hi all,I was wondering if you could advise me with this 'issue' I have.Every time I boot Windows, I get a prompt that I have 10 seconds to skip Disk Checking.I obviously left the checking to continue the first time and multiple times after that, however the process goes to...
  3. Disk Check on EVERY Boot since Dusting the PC!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Check on EVERY Boot since Dusting the PC!: Hi all,I was wondering if you could advise me with this 'issue' I have.Every time I boot Windows, I get a prompt that I have 10 seconds to skip Disk Checking.I obviously left the checking to continue the first time and multiple times after that, however the process goes to...
  4. Disk check running on every startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk check running on every startup.: Hello, for several months now I am facing a problem. My pc runs the chkdks on every startup, apparently unsuccessfully, as ever anything happens. I've tried unmarking the disk from the "dirty" status it is tagged with no success. When I let the scan do it's thing, it is...
  5. Disk check running on every startup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk check running on every startup.: Hello, for several months now I am facing a problem. My pc runs the chkdks on every startup, apparently unsuccessfully, as ever anything happens. I've tried unmarking the disk from the "dirty" status it is tagged with no success. When I let the scan do it's thing, it is...
  6. Disk check running on every startup.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer goes into disk checking on every startup.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer goes into disk checking on every startup.: My computer lately has been going into disk checking on every boot, the only drive it does scan and repair is my C: Drive, I remember this happening after some issue with my hard drive, my PC went into the bios screen to say that'no bootable drive detected' it did get fixed...
  8. Windows 10 disk checking at startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 disk checking at startup: Hello, I am having a problem on Windows 10 start up. It shown "To skip disk checking, press any key within 7 seconds." I does not has this problem before and it pops up today. May I know is my disk having any problem that leads this pops up or any others factor. Is it any...
  9. Disk check on every startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk check on every startup: Hi all. Recently my PC started to run disk check on every startup. I let it run and repair, but it doesn't do anything really. When I run the disk checker on Windows itself it says that my drive has a problem and it needs to restart in order to solve it. But nothing gets...
  10. Windows 10| Startup Times Slow Since Creators Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10| Startup Times Slow Since Creators Update: As the title says, my startup times have been horrible ever since getting the creators update. It takes about two minutes to reach the lock screen, and after logging in, it takes another five minutes for the computer to actually let me open programs. Before the creators...