Windows 10: Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

Discus and support Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Win 7 user here, wanting to dual boot with Windows 10 preview (on a different partition). So I made a Win 10 usb boot disc, and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tengeezer, May 30, 2015.

1. tengeezer Win User

Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

Hi everyone,

Win 7 user here, wanting to dual boot with Windows 10 preview (on a different partition).

So I made a Win 10 usb boot disc, and it installed it fine. Played around with the new Windows for a few mins, whilst it downloaded an update, and after installing the update, it said it needs to restart, naturally. So I did.

However, since then, the PC keeps restarting, showing a Windows 10 logo, and below that is the text, "preparing automatic repair". Then it just resets, and goes in this endless loop.

Why is this happening, and how do I resolve it?

Many thanks.

:)

tengeezer, May 30, 2015
  2. WayneRupp Win User

Restoring to Previous Version of Windows Loop

The infinite repair loop is extremely difficult to break out of. The only sure method is to boot from your installation media and clean install the system rather than try to repair it in Windows Recovery.

The technique of the clean install is explained well in this 10Forums article.

Clean Install Windows 10

Wish I knew of other ways to solve the problem of the infinite repair loop. I have tried to help people with this problem for some time now, without any sure fire success.

Regards

WayneRupp, May 30, 2015
  3. Windows 10 is Stuck in Attempting to Repair Loop with No Cause Given

Windows 10 is stuck in attempting to repair loop with no cause given. Can't recover from recovery drive with no error given. Option to reset is not available.

CaseyGilbert, May 30, 2015
  4. tengeezer Win User

Well, I thought I'd try again from scratch. I did a format of the partition. Win 10 worked fine for a while. But after rebooting, the same problem occurs. The PC just keeps restarting, with the same message, "preparing automatic repair".

Does anyone have some idea as to what could be causing the issue? Pretty stumped right now.

tengeezer, May 31, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    laptop? press F11 after a reboot and try to repair? you got/canobtain WIN8 recovery/installation disc?

batlhilz, May 31, 2015
  6. tengeezer Win User
    Desktop. No success.

Looks like I'll have to wait till MS get the latest build 10130 resolved, which seems is causing this constant loop.

tengeezer, May 31, 2015
  7. Gramps Win User
    Make sure fast-boot is turned off on both of your windows installs. And you might want to turn sync off also. I never had any success in dual booting 8.1 and 10. I just use 10 on a spare hard-drive.

Gramps, Jun 1, 2015
  8. batlhilz Win User

try and remove ethernet cable and then reboot, someone thinks its a microsoft logon problem, eventho it happens earlier than the logon itself (?)

batlhilz, Jun 1, 2015
  9. Same thing here, i installed W10 after i installed the updates and i restarted the pc got into the restarting loop. I installed 2 times and that still happen. If has this kind of breaking bugs i wonder when it will be released.
    I also tried all kind of "fixes" i found here and on the internet...i even did a refresh from DVD/USB.
    Hope is not another flop like 8, it looked nice.

alexcruz89, Jun 2, 2015
  10. tengeezer Win User
    Well, I re-installed from the official ISO again, and this time I'm staying on the slow lane. But so far, I'm liking Windows 10, definitely faster than Windows 7 (which btw is a great OS). There are some things I don't like, but overall, MS has convinced me enough to buy Win 10 when it's released.

tengeezer, Jun 3, 2015
  11. Yes, couple of minutes i got to use it was great. Could be better than 7 but this kind of bug is too big to be called a beta or released to public for testing.

alexcruz89, Jun 3, 2015
  12. There might be an issue with the System Reserve partition. I'm not sure if it's 10.0.130 related or not ... or even if it is an issue.

It might be that Win10 wants/requires a combined System Reserve and WinRE partition for BIOS/MBR machines
    - if that is the case then the 100 MB part is too small.

Technet recommends a minimum of 350 MB for a combined partition. Most Win7 and Win8 installs have the default 100 MB System Reserve.

In the Technet articles, the disk schema is broken into Default and a Recommended sections. This distinction is lost for BIOS/MBR discussions - there is no mention of a default (as in: defined by Windows at install time on a raw partition). The article simply states: To avoid the four-partition limit on BIOS-based systems, we recommend adding the Windows RE tools image onto the system partition.

The minimum size of this combined partition is 350 MB.It doesn't mention 100 MB System Reserve (or I missed it) - this is how my Win8 machine is defined and how Windows defined it. This only seems to be an 'issue' for BIOS/MBR

Source: Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Drive Partitions

UEFI/GPT is clear, but there are some considerations:

Partition: Windows RE Tools -> minimum 300 MBIf the partition is less than 500 MB, it must have at least 50 MB of free space.
    If the partition is 500 MB or larger, it must have at least 320 MB of free space.
    If the partition is larger than 1 GB, we recommend that it should have at least 1 GB free.
    Partition: System (EFI/ESP) -> minimum 100 MBmust be FAT32
    AdvFmt 4K native drives -> minimum = 260 MB
    AdvFmt 512e drives -> minimum=100 MB
    Partition: Microsoft Reserved (MSR) -> 128 MB

Partition: Windows:x64: minimum 20 GB
    x32: minimum 16 GB
    must be NTFS
    10 GB free space after OOEB
    Push button reset considerations:Calculation: Image_size x 1.1 + Buffer
    Image_size: This is the estimated size of the image after it has been applied from the WIM image file. Use the command:
    Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\test\offline\install.wim

If your WIM image file contains multiple images, use the size information reported for the image configured to be used by push-button resetBuffer:
    • x64: 1.2 GB
    • x86: 1.1 GB
    • ARM: 1.0 GB
    Partition: Recovery image -> minimum 2 GB + sufficient free space
    (minimum free space 320 MB, recommended free space: 1 GB)

Source: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

Another member had issues installing Win10 and they managed to get past the issue by shrinking and moving C: to the right, then extending System Reserve into the free space.

I had issue installing a previous TP bld (04x or 061) where my System Reserve was 'corrupted. (probably just filled and failed). I cleaned that up so the machine would boot, bot it seems like a good time to finish the clean up and try growing the System Reserve.

If Win10 requires more space on the the System Reserve, then this needs to be addressed at install time. The average end user will struggle trying to fix what Windows should fix.

I'll post something - maybe a new thread after I do the work on my machine. Until then, sit tight and try not to get frustrated *Wink

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  13. Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error

Here's something else you could try:

Open the WinX menu (right click the Windows logo on the Taskbar)
    Select Disk Management
    Right click System Reserve
    Select Change Drive Letter and Path...
    Add a drive letter to the volume
    Right click System Reserve again
    Select Properties
    Press the Tools tab
    Press the [ Check ] button under Error checking
    Press Scan Drive even if it says you don't need to scan this drive

After the scan, remove the drive letter from System Reserve

You can close Disk Management at this point.

You might also want to Check your Windows volume for file system errors as well.
    You can do this from File Explorer - right click C:, Tools tab, press [ Check ] button, scan eve if it say you don't need to scan.

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  14. Hey, thanks for your response. When i installed W10 i just deleted all partitions (i only have 1 disk) ,i made 2 partitions and i got 1 more by default of about 300-350 MB.
    Can that partition be the fault? If yes, can i make it bigger?

Regards.

alexcruz89, Jun 4, 2015
  15. Alex,
    It sounds as though your install is by-the-book - Windows did all of the disk partitioning and you only have one drive. The System Reserve partition of 300-350 MB should be sufficient (not sure about the range ... it should be one size *Wink)

Please post a screen shot of Disk Management.
    See: How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

and...

Please follow this tutorial to provide the current operating environment of your machine.
    Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Thanks

A member might see something that would help explain the issue.

Before going any further, I have to ask.... what Win10 bld (10.0.074, 10.0.122, or 10.0.130) is installed. The followup question is where did you get the install media (ISO).

Thanks - armed with that information members can make knowledgeable suggestions.

Slartybart, Jun 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error - Similar Threads - clean install caused

2. Clean windows install loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean windows install loop: My old pc is a hp pavilion gaming desktop which I took the original m.2 out of so it has no storage and I Put a brand new m.2 in and I go to install windows it boots to the windows setup and I click custom: install windows onlyIt copies windows files, finished getting files...
  3. Windows 10 Install Errors Causing Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install Errors Causing Loop: Hello!I am trying to install windows onto my laptop and I am running into errors with solutions that cause new errors.When I first tried to install Windows 10 via USB I got the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". The general consensus I have...
  4. Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop - Causes: We have seen a bunch of Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loops in the last couple of years and I wanted to share what the possible causes are, especially since these loops happen sporadically and without apparent reason, although it seems to always involve a Windows Update...
  5. Clean install error loop

Clean install error loop: Hello, I'm currently trying to do a clean install of Win 10 to resolve errors with my graphics driver. After the reset percentage screen, the screen went black for several minutes, so I rebooted, and it now gives me an "unexpected reset" error every time I confirm the same...
  6. Update causing Windows Repair loop

Update causing Windows Repair loop: The latest Windows 10 update, after restart, doesn't let me log in to my computer. Windows seems to be stuck in a Windows Repair Mode loop, where every option simply results in Windows restarting and winding up at the same place. A complication is that while "Continue to...
  7. windows 10 clean installation loop

windows 10 clean installation loop: I have been trying to install windows 10 on my hp laptop and it keeps looping from "hi there let's get a few things out of the way". i tried booting from usb to bypass it but seems not be to working. in all my laptop is stuck here[ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  8. Clean Windows 10 Install Loop

Clean Windows 10 Install Loop: Hey, I'm installing Windows 10 onto new new SSD, the setup will say its needs to restart, then it restarts and doesn't continue the install and then restarts the whole install? Any idea? Thanks *Smile 10346
  9. Windows 10 repair/ clean install

Windows 10 repair/ clean install: I upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit successfully. I wanted to install chrome since the internet was bugging out so I plugged in a flash drive and my computer started to shut down. After this my computer did disk check and couldnt repair itself. I cant system...
  10. Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop

Clean Installation of Windows 10 in a Loop: I have sought guidance from relevant Windows 10 Tutorials and have met a problem. I have fitted an SSD to my Medion Akoya 5024D (MD7659) which now is four years old. The computer originally ran Windows 7 and I upgraded, first to Windows 8, secondly to Windows 8.1 and thirdly...