Windows 10: Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded)

Discus and support Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So a few months back I upgraded for free from win7 to win10 Pro. Today I got a new CPU, RAM, MBO (also currently using the new MBO onboard GPU, waiting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by marq020, Nov 6, 2015.

1. marq020 Win User

Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded)

So a few months back I upgraded for free from win7 to win10 Pro. Today I got a new CPU, RAM, MBO (also currently using the new MBO onboard GPU, waiting for my new one) and did a clean install of Win10 (from USB created with MediaCreationToolkit). Now I remember reading somewhere about steps to activate Windows 10 after hardware change, but can't seem to find it anywhere, so thought I'd ask here.
    The error I'm getting: 0x004C003 The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked.

The thing is I need to get this PC up to my needs fast, and this doesn't cope well with that...*Mad

Thanks for the help!*Biggrin

:)

marq020, Nov 6, 2015
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Windows 10 - SSD Fault

Yes, you're correct. Windows 10 will automatically activate on that hardware regardless of whether you do a clean install or an upgrade because activation is now tied to your hardware (through a hardware hash).

aakkam22, Nov 6, 2015
  3. Philip Yip, Nov 6, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Hi marq020, welcome to Ten Forums. Windows 10 is a free upgrade from win 7. What you did is basically install it fresh on a new computer. If you have a full retail version of win 7 install that first and then upgrade. If you have a OEM version that came on your system then you are probably out of luck. European laws are different so there might be a way around it that I don't know about.

JohnC, Nov 6, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    Do you have registration from W7 ?
    Here's one way to try without having to install W7 first: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums
    Another way is to try activation by phone (can use Skype), first from W10 and if no go than you'll have to reinstall W7 and try from there. Most of the time they'll let you do it even for OEM version.
    I think that on Win7 forum you have detailed instructions.

CountMike, Nov 6, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You basically installed Windows 10 on a new computer. So you have a couple of options:

1. Purchase a license for Windows 10 to activate what you have now.
    2. Install Windows 7/8/8.1, activate it with the appropriate product key, then upgrade that for free to Windows 10.
    3. Wait for the new Windows 10 update later this month, which is supposed to update it to build 10586. Then you can try to enter your Windows 7/8/8.1 product key directly in Windows 10 to activate it (which is not supported by the current version of Windows 10).

Microsoft only said that they would upgrade existing installs of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 for free to Windows 10. They never promised to supply free software for new computers that you build.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 clean install not activated (Hardware upgraded) - Similar Threads - clean install activated

2. Activation of Windows 10 after Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Windows 10 after Hardware Upgrade: I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and RAM. The newer motherboard didn't recognize the mbr boot so I reinstalled windows 10 on the machine. I updated the system first. Next I tried to activate windows. I see a cannot connect to activation server error on the page so I click on...
  3. Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hardware and will do a clean install of windows: My PC says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account" . Do I have to unlink/deactivate the product key on my current PC before shutting it down and swapping parts for the upgrade? The microsoft help section is pretty vague on the steps...
  4. Activating WIndows 10 After Hardware Upgrade

Activating WIndows 10 After Hardware Upgrade: Hi, I had Windows 7, and upgraded it during the free upgrade window. Everything was working just fine. Today, I upgraded my motherboard, processor, DRAM, etc, and now there is text on the bottom of my screen saying I need to Activate Windows. When I try to do so, it says it...
  5. Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.

Clean install not activated despite upgrading first.: Hi guys, I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 but in settings it's showing as Windows 10 Home and not activated. I upgraded from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro without a problem so not sure why it's not activating. I did format the main drive during clean install,...
  6. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  7. Activation and hardware upgrade

Activation and hardware upgrade: I have Windows 10 Pro activated on my desktop SSD. I now plan to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM but keep the same SSD and peripherals. Will my 10 Pro remain activated after the upgrade automatically or is there some process I should carry out before the upgrade? 35659
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade + Clean install Activates then Deactivates

Windows 10 Upgrade + Clean install Activates then Deactivates: Ye old Error code: 0xC004C003 I made sure 8.1 Pro to the upgrade to 10 Pro was activated before I did a clean install. This last month the system has been acting weird. Once in windows its fine, but I was getting startup errors that made windows restart while starting...
  9. Clean install on upgraded Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install on upgraded Windows 10: Hello folks, I tried to perform a clean install on the very first instance at the time of 'upgrade' but since it didn't work. I had to upgrade it on existing windows 7 installation. Now the machine is so slow that constantly it shows 100% disk usage. I tried every possible...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....