Windows 10: Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive?

Discus and support Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just upgraded to W10 from W7 less than a week ago. So far it's been great, no problems (fingers crossed) But I have a question about the hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mackjay, May 12, 2016.

1. mackjay Win User

Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive?

I just upgraded to W10 from W7 less than a week ago. So far it's been great, no problems (fingers crossed)

But I have a question about the hard drive: it now has a LOT more free space than it did. The upgrade removed over 200GB from it. I have checked all my docus and media, everything is there (I mostly store media on externals anyway).

I always performed HDD cleanup, but could I have missed that much junk? So far I'm grateful for the space W10 has cleaned up

:)

mackjay, May 12, 2016

2. Accidently cleaned my entire system hard disk while I was installing windows 7

I was using Windows 10 and I wanted to install windows 7 for study purpose. When I was cleaning a partion for windows 7 by typing disk part in command prompt. But accidentally I cleaned the Entire hard disk. There were drivers images important documents
    etc. Can somebody help me to get my Windows 10 and personal data back..??

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JerinGeorge, May 12, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Accidently cleaned my entire system hard disk while I was installing windows 7

There are third-party programs you can try, such as Recuva at Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!

They may or may not work for you. If they don't, there are several professional data recovery services you can try, but be aware that they are *very* expensive, and they also may or may nor work.

Drivers shouldn't be a problem, since you can always download them again, but regarding data, you apparently don't back it up to external media. If that's the case, you've been playing with fire. You are always susceptibleto many of the most
    common dangers: severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the life of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple generations of backup, and at least one
    of those generations should be stored off-site.

My computer isn't used for business, but my personal backup scheme uses two identical removable hard drives, I alternate between the two, and make a complete copy of the primary drive.

I also use a pair of 16GB thumb drives for making more frequent backups of my most critical data (like financial information). For that I just drag and drop.

As has often been said, it is not a question of *whether* you will lose all your data, but when.

Ken Blake, May 12, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

That does seem a surprising amount of space to have re-acquired!

W10 does include a lot of automatic processes that run in the background, including disk cleanup.

Enjoy!

philc43, May 12, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    My guess is that it was probably old Windows 7 restore points and updates. You might want to be aware that restore points are turned off by default in Windows 10, so if you want restore points you need to go back to settings and turn them on.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2016
  6. mackjay Win User
    Thanks for the reminder, I did not know about this! *Wink

mackjay, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cleaned up my Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - cleaned Hard Drive

2. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  3. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10: Hello all, I just bought a new computer with Win11. HP Envy I think. Anyway I want to wipe clean Old Computer #1. I went online and found these instructions and want to know if your agree with it: How to wipe a hard drive - Windows 10Press the Windows key.Type “Settings” to...
  4. Wiping my hard drive clean Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. secondary hard drive clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  6. Hard Drive Clean-up

Hard Drive Clean-up: My Hard drive is 'full'. 800 GB of 900 GB is in 'Other files' I cannot see. How can I see them and delete the unwanted ones safely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-clean-up/b70389b8-c1b8-4b67-b26e-c604a67103b3
  7. Windows 10 Pro Clean Install filled up my 1Tb Hard Drive

Windows 10 Pro Clean Install filled up my 1Tb Hard Drive: Hello Everyone, In A Nut Shell, I have a 1tb Computer from 2012. I did a Clean install of Windows 10 Pro Over The Weekend. And Now I only have 300 Gigs Of Space Left. Before the Clean install I had 165 gigs left. I thought a clean Version Of Windows Was just what my...
  8. windows 10 on a clean hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 on a clean hard drive: Failed hard drive put in new hard drive how do I get windows 10 loaded. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-a-clean-hard-drive/da8258f3-7d2a-412f-8f4b-f2cc91b483e1
  9. Cleaned hard drive

Cleaned hard drive: I have cleaned my old laptop's hard drive and Removed all data and personal files so i can sell it. Does that mean no one will be able to Log in to my accounts on other websites ?...
  10. hard drive cleaning

hard drive cleaning: I would like to clean my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-cleaning/05bfae9c-6174-4938-9e25-31f892008c04"