Windows 10: Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

Discus and support Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Yeah, just registered with Ten Forums and all that good stuff, and so here's my first of possibly many issues I shall bring to you. xD I upgraded my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MrMii Win 10, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

Yeah, just registered with Ten Forums and all that good stuff, and so here's my first of possibly many issues I shall bring to you. xD I upgraded my preview build of Windows 10 (10130) to the pro final version because the preview wasn't able to find additional builds and kept crapping out on standard updates. All went smoothly, but the first thing I noticed is that the next time I booted cold, Windows 10 would get past the "starting windows" screen and play the startup sound. However, the logon interface never appeared, or the cursor. All that was displayed was a solid black screen. I hard reset by holding down the power button and tried it again, which gave me the same thing. Again, hard reset. This still commonly happens, along with my CMOS date/time settings apparently being wiped after such reset. Sometimes the cursor appears, but mostly it doesn't. Usually after trying enough times it'll pull through or by starting it after selecting a recovery option from F8. "Enable low resolution video" I know worked before, but it didn't give me low res display. (Not that I'm complaining) It could likely be because I installed over the preview, and in-place installations typically have issues. I'm also running a program to provide titlebars with aero styled glass transparency, and my graphics driver is up to date. Any thoughts...? *Confused

:)

MrMii Win 10, Oct 21, 2015
  2. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 boots to a black screen with no cursor

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

This issue could occur due to incompatible, outdated or corrupted device drivers. You can also check if detaching all other peripheral devices except for keyboard and mouse works out the issue. The issue (black screen) you’re
    facing could be most likely related to display drivers and could be resolved by updating the drivers. Without the correct driver, the hardware or device that you want to use won't work properly. Refer to the below link and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Do get back to us with the update of the issue.

Arul_D, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Windows 10 boots to a black screen with no cursor

Just to say, I received a brand new HP Spectre x360 laptop today, with Windows 10.

One hour later, I'm having this issue.

Screen is dead, no cursor, no "Press ESC for BIOS options"... nothing.

But once in a while, if I press some keys, Windows 10 will play a jingle at me.

Problem is, I don't know if this is a hardware problem or Windows 10 problem.

Users are reporting problems in both cases.

Mike & his dead 1-hour-old expensive new laptop

Mike Gledhill, Oct 21, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

Probably a dumb question, but did you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 through the insider program to build 10130?

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  5. I had installed the Technical Preview on a partition that was separate from Windows 7. I had started with build 9926. In that case I could boot either 7 or 10 TP in a dual boot.

6. JohnC Win User
    Build 10130 expired recently, that might be the cause of your problems. Were you activated or did the insider program button say "fix me"?

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  7. My build was activated. Unless that's not what's you're talking about.

8. JohnC Win User

No, that is one thing I was curious about. Even if you clean installed build 9926 as long as you kept upgrading builds in a timely manner you should have been ok. But it did seen like your build had expired. at least that would have been a possibility. BTW welcome to 10 forums. When did you install the RTM build? I'm kinda stuck on the idea that your build expired, but have you tried booting in safe mode or tried any of the repair options from the "choose other options" on the dual boot screen?

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  9. Pretty much as soon as a new build released, (I set myself to fast ring) I waited a few days and then updated to it. But when was 10130 supposed to expire? I don't think it was then, because I wasn't getting shut down every so many hours or features reduced. I upgraded to RTM this August, 8/8 to be exact. (Thank you systeminfo CMD command) I tried the reset PC option (in order to function with my new motherboard) and it still occurred. The only others are to use an image or system restore, which if it's been going on since I went to RTM, that wouldn't help either. The preview didn't have this issue. If I went into safe mode, what would you want me to try? Or just see if it boots without a black screen?

10. JohnC Win User
    Ok so everything was working until you replaced the motherboard? Your win 7 was a system builder version and so it is transferable to a new motherboard. But the win 10 had a "digital entitlement" that was tied to the original MOBO so it's borked.

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  11. I had kept the preview after replacing the board, (from Intel to AMD chipset) but then upgraded it to RTM. that's when I noticed the the black screen and CMOS issue. I reinstalled 7 on top of itself so I wouldn't keep getting blue screens. (Frustratingly, a mobo driver is the only one that isn't easily replaced) ^^; *Start

12. Hi if you please could help, i upgraded to windows 10 and everything was fine till yesterday, windows made lots of updates and then suddenly i had black screen saying operating system not install. I shut down the laptop and tried lits of things but nothing worked. It doesn't want to start or even to accept password for my account. Any suggestions please???

Enass massoud, Oct 21, 2015
  13. JohnC Win User

If you could please start your own thread it would be helpful to both you and the original thread starter. Problems that appear similar are not always caused by the same things.

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  14. JohnC Win User
    Well that is your problem then, as soon as you changed out the mother board you will loose activation. Right now I believe the only way to join the windows insider is through a upgrade from a "Genuine" win 7 SP1 or win 8.1 and then turn on the start insider builds in windows update> advanced options. There is no way to get your win 10 partition working again. Sorry.

JohnC, Oct 21, 2015
  15. After putting in the board and realizing that 10 TP wouldn't get past a blue screen, I used the Reset PC and told it to erase it all. It worked fine after that. <_<

Thema:

1. Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor? - Similar Threads - commonly boots black

2. Is it common for Windows 11 laptop to have black screen with cursor that does not move...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it common for Windows 11 laptop to have black screen with cursor that does not move...: My 1-month-old laptop had its first black screen from sleep that I can't move or do anything, just did a hard shut down and everything looks normal just wanted to know if it is a bigger issue or just a one-off?Also, would like to know what causes this issue and how to prevent...
  3. PC booting to a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC booting to a black screen with cursor: Hey, My PC was working fine yesterday night as it installed the latest update. This morning however I cannot access anything anymore. As soon as it boots I don't see the login screen but go directly to a black screen where I can move my cursor. I've been googling around...
  4. Windows 10 will not boot and shows a black screen with cursor instead.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 will not boot and shows a black screen with cursor instead.: This happened to me last night, although I wasnt trying to boot the thing, i was trying to log in after pressing windows= + L and leaving it for a few minutes. When i got back, i was greeted by a black screen. I tried restarting my pc, nothing changed, atill getting a black...
  5. Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor: I just plugged in a new monitor, and the monitor shows the boot screen, then just shows a black screen, I looked it up on YouTube, and they all said to press Ctrl+alt+del, open task manager, I do somethi g else, but i cant open tadk manager either. Ive restarted my computer,...
  6. Windows 10 does not boot black screen and cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 does not boot black screen and cursor: Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Windows. I had two SSDs in the "mirror" dynamic disks, I used Acronis software to "break the mirror" and it broke my entire operating system. I converted the disks to "basic" using the Paragon tool and the datawas not lost, but...
  7. Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor: I shut down my laptop properly - no hard boot - and the next time I turned it on, I got a black screen with the cursor. I have tried a bunch of things but to no avail. I don't have any peripherals attached. Everything was working fine until the last shut down, all...
  8. Booting to black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...
  9. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen, no cursor: Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I...
  10. Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Booting to a black screen & white cursor: Hi, my PC has been acting up for about a week now. I have 2 Samsung 24inch Monitors and a decent gaming PC. I have tried all the options this forums has brought to me such as control alt delete and recovery mode, nothing has worked so far. i have just upgraded from 7-10...