Windows 10: Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update

Discus and support Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, OS Build 14393.693. One of the recent updates messed the right click menu on Windows Explorer and Skype as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Goran80, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Goran80 Win User

Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, OS Build 14393.693.

One of the recent updates messed the right click menu on Windows Explorer and Skype as you can see from the attached screenshots. It starts with all items blackened, and appear only when I go over them with the cursor.
    It starts randomly and while the restart sometimes helps, sometimes it doesn't. It is infuriating. I now noticed that I get the same bug when I right click on the taskbar.

There are things as well, but I need to investigate it more before I report them.

Is there a solution for this?
    Thank you!

Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update [​IMG]

:)

Goran80, Mar 9, 2017
  2. EL Micro Win User

Copy files using context menu in File Explorer in Windows 10 after Creators Update installation is not working

Hi, I have this problem with copying files using File Explorer in Windows 10. Recently after updating with fall Creators Update, I tried to copy files from one of the folders in my library or This PC to another location. When I right clicked on the file
    to be copied, a context menu displays. Then I clicked on the "copy" option in the context menu to copy the file. Strangely, nothing happens, no dialog box appears. So, copying files using the context menu is not working after the fall Creators Update on my
    computer recently. Somehow, I think the settings for the context menu copying file have been altered after the Creators Update. What setup in File Explorer do I have to correct in order to enable the context menu "copy" file option again ? Does any one know
    what are the possible solutions for this problem ? Any help will be appreciated.

EL Micro, Mar 9, 2017
  3. Cainoor Win User
    No context menu for Excel icon (on pinned icon to taskbar)

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 and Office 2013. Everything was working fine with pinned icons until very recently. I was pinning some documents to the context menu (right click) and after that the context menu stopped to show at all - but only for one icon, which is
    MS Excel icon (shortcut). Could you please let me know what I can do to fix it? Every other right-click is working perfectly and all context menus are opening for every other pinned icons.

Regards

Cainoor, Mar 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I will assume this 'suddenly happened' rather than subsequent to a change you made manually.

Could you clarify if you suspect a program update or a Windows update?

As usual with context menu entries and problems:

1. You could try a system restore point if you have any available.
    2. If you have a relevant disk image (we constantly reiterate how invaluable is the routine use of disk imaging is to allow you to restore a PC to a previously working state relatively quickly and without technical help - e.g. Macrium Reflect (Free) ) you can use that.

Failing the above routine procedures,

Download, install and run Shellexview (free)
    Hide all MS extensions, disable all others, no need to log off.

Is there any change in the context menu?

If so, use Shellexview to progressively enable more to diagnose the problem.

If no change at all, try Safe Mode.
    Is there any change in the context menu?

dalchina, Mar 9, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I wonder if the OP got the same update as I did? My windows update history shows...
    ...though I don't have the OP's problem.

@Goran80, what does your windows update history show?

Bree, Mar 9, 2017
  6. Goran80 Win User
    Thank you for your replies so far, much appreciated! *Smile

It's a development machine. I attached all updates from the past month - mainly Visual Studio updates - sorry for not checking that earlier. I really can't tell which one could have caused this.
    A colleague has the same hardware, same version of Windows as me and has the same problem, that's why I suspect that it's one of the updates that caused this. Strange thing is that last update was over 2 weeks ago, and my problems started a week ago.

Context menu items are all there, but as I said, they are all blackened initially. I'll try Shellexview when I get back to work on Monday.

And I do have a system image that I made after the fresh Windows and development software installation, so I can restore that in worst case scenario.

Goran80, Mar 9, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    - suggests a new program or auto-updated program maybe..

E.g.

Event ID 11707 tells you when a install completes successfully, and also the user who executed the install package.
    You could look around that date, but trying Shellexview and Safe mode will be a lot more straightforward.

Bear in mind though that Shellexview may not cover all context menu entries these days - I'm sometimes found e.g. Glary Utilities context menu feature finds some it misses.

dalchina, Mar 9, 2017
  8. Goran80 Win User

Will try it, thank you!!!

Goran80, Mar 9, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Actually, that's not the complete picture. You won't find driver updates listed in the control panel, just software updates. My Control Panel shows...

...for the drivers you also need to look in: Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history
    Worth checking, as a display driver update would be my prime suspect.

Bree, Mar 9, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    @Bree - If it is a graphics driver issue, there will be a difference when he tries Safe Mode as I suggested above.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update - Similar Threads - context menu bug

2. Snapping bug after recent updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Snapping bug after recent updates?: After some recent updates on this machine and my Win11 I'm noticing the same behavior- If I snap a window to the left or right side of my screen, then move the mouse to the edge of the window, the cursor changes to resize horizontally, which is OK, but the window itself...
  3. windows 10 context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 context menu: Windows 10.The "new" item disappeared from the context menu. Based on internet recommendations, I modified the registry:HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\newthe "default" value was modified by adding:{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}Now I...
  4. [Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update

[Bug] Weird Windows Key / Start Menu bug since a recent update: If I shut down my computer and boot it back up, there is a very high chance of my windows key not functioning, but I'm not sure if it's actually the key itself or if the start menu is bugged as clicking on that doesn't work either. When I open up say the Sound settings from...
  5. Start menu bug after updating from windows 10

Start menu bug after updating from windows 10: I have updated a work computer from windows 7 to windows 10 yesterday and I am having some sort of bug that I can’t fix. The start menu looks the way as expected after reboot (the tiles and the modern windows 10 default design) but when opening it a second time it is...
  6. Rightclick context menu bug on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Rightclick context menu bug on startup: Im getting undo copy every bootup. Locating the file it does not exist and its dated more than a month ago. How to remove? [img] [img] 160045
  7. Start Menu Not Working In Windows 10 after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start Menu Not Working In Windows 10 after recent update: After a recent update for Windows 10, my start menu button is showing an error. The search function to the right of it isn't working either. Also my settings aren't working. Can anyone assist? This is the error I get. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update: I have a Microsoft surface Pro IV, with Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362 build 18362. On June 23, Windows Update did a "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903". Ever since then, Windows Defender no longer appears in the file context menu. How come? What can I do to...
  9. New Context Menu Bugs With 1903 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Context Menu Bugs With 1903 Update: Windows new version update which was just made available to me this month fixed a few bugs from 1809 (that MS consistently denied their existence regardless of hundreds of community threads regarding them)but created more (no surprise). Now, any pinned shortcut on the task...
  10. Context Menu Bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Context Menu Bug: This is more of a 411-esque post... not sure if anyone has posted about this here yet. Nevertheless, there is a bug in Windows 10, that causes Explorer to act up due to "resource exhaustion," at least that's what the current consensus is and it seems to happen as a result...