Windows 10: Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

Discus and support Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I installed Windows 10 on the 29th and have been mostly happy except for one major issue: when I leave my laptop alone for about 10-20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by henrodstone, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

Hey guys,

I installed Windows 10 on the 29th and have been mostly happy except for one major issue: when I leave my laptop alone for about 10-20 minutes, the OS completely locks up and all I can do is hold down the power button and force it to shut down. For those of you who don't know, the Ideapad Y510p is equipped with a Nvidia GeForce GT 750M graphics card, and I have read about a conflict between Windows Update and the GeForce experience program. I've tried to change the settings so that it runs only on the integrated Intel graphics but unless I did something wrong, that hasn't worked either. I've checked Windows Update and GeForce experience and both programs as well as the drivers are all up to date. I'm at my wits end and am seriously contemplating downgrading to 8.1 where I never had this problem. Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

:)

henrodstone, Jul 31, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgraded, now I can't connect to my wifi.

If it helps, I have a Lenovo y510p ideapad.

MollieCholette, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p

Thanks for replying, I fixed it a couple of weeks ago. What I did was go to Device Manager and checked every single component to make sure that it was up to date. Then I went to troubleshooting on System and Security and troubleshooted everything and found
    out that the blue screening came from a major driver carried over from 8.1 that was conflicting with W10, so after running the troubleshooter, that fixed the blue screening, but it still had a problem where if it was left idling for 15-20 minutes, it would
    completely lock up and the only way to fix it would be to force the computer to shut down by holding down the power button, very bad for the HDD. So I did a Google search and discovered that other people were having the same problem, and that on some drivers
    listed under Device Manager, there is a tab labeled Power Management that has a setting where the computer can shut down that particular component if it's not being used for a certain amount of time, so after unchecking that option on every single driver that
    had that option, as well as going to Power Options and turning off the feature that shuts down the HDD after a certain amount of time, it now runs like a charm! The only other problem that I had which isn't so much a problem and is more of an annoyance, is
    that it will go into standby mode after five minutes even if it's set to stay on under Power Options, so I fixed that by downloading a program called Don't Sleep that starts up when the computer is turned on and runs in the background. It can be set to block
    the computer from going into standby either automatically or manually, and can be easily enabled or disabled by an icon on the taskbar.

4. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 31, 2015
  5. I have a Y510P. Had no problems so far w/ Win 10 64bit Home. I did a clean Win 10 install upgrade (didn't want any issues to migrate from my Win7). I have dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755Ms (not 750). Drivers are up-to-date. System info (using HWiNFO64) as follows:

Computer: LENOVO Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ (Haswell-MB, C0)
    2400 MHz (24.00x100.0) @ 3196 MHz (32.00x99.9)
    Motherboard: LENOVO VIQY0Y1
    Chipset: Intel HM86 (Lynx Point)
    Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 799 MHz, 11.0-11-11-28
    - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - SK Hynix HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB
    - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - SK Hynix HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M [Lenovo]
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M [Lenovo]
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
    Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
    Sound: Intel Lynx Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [C2]
    Sound: NVIDIA GK107 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Network: Qualcomm/Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Network: Intel Wireless-N 7260 BGN 2x2 HMC WiFi Adapter

I don't have a solution for you, but maybe knowing my config will help.

John 70834, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Besides the graphics cards, it looks virtually identical to mine, though I have Realtek HD Audio, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD. I installed Windows 10 via Windows Update on 8.1 . I just restarted it and it seems to be running pretty smoothly, I'll let you guys know if it does it again.

7. Just happened again, left it alone for longer than 15 minutes, tried to open Mozilla, completely froze up and had to force it to shut down. Suspecting it might be a problem with Windows Explorer.

8. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

Was FF frozen ?

I'm having a problem with FF freezing.

9. I haven't been playing any games since I installed it, just clicked the Reset PC button which reinstalls it but eliminates my chances of downgrading to 8.1, at least for free. Wish me luck!

10. Sorry but, I was not talking about playing a game.

I was asking about Firefox browser , if it was freezing on you. You stated in post # 5, that you tried to open Mozilla and it froze completely.

To you is this Firefox browser or something else ?

11. Yes, Mozilla Firefox is my default browser.

henrodstone, Aug 1, 2015
  12. YOU
    You Win User
  13. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

Well, even when Firefox isn't running at all, it will still freeze up, same thing with all the other programs. I reset the OS and am hoping that will end this mayhem.

henrodstone, Aug 1, 2015
  14. At this point I would (assuming you successfully revert back to Win 8) image the hard drive (I use Macrium Reflect), then slick the drive and install Win 10 clean. Since you've already upgraded to Win 10 MSoft remembers the laptop. I did it on my Y510P (first upgraded on 8.1, then slicked the disk and installed clean from the DVD). This way you can see if the problem exists before you install any non-MS programs.
    Note: I say to image the HD in case you have trouble with the clean install.

Good luck!

John 70834, Aug 1, 2015
  15. For those of you who are still monitoring this thread, I'm proud to say that it is fixed! I did a "PC Reset" where it deleted all of my apps but kept my files and folders, and after reinstalling all of my apps, it no longer crashes or freezes up. My guess was that a major file was corrupted during the switch from 8.1 to 10, which has now been solved.

Thanks for all of your help!

henrodstone, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help!

1. Windows 10 crashing on Lenovo Ideapad Y510p, please help! - Similar Threads - crashing Lenovo Ideapad

2. Lenovo Ideapad Y510P stuck in a bootloop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo Ideapad Y510P stuck in a bootloop: Out of nowhere my laptop started to get into some sort of bootloop. At first it was every 5 minutes it would restart, but after about an hour, it's just constantly restarting before it can even make it to any screen.I press the power button, the keyboard manages to light up...
  3. Lenovo Ideapad Y510P stuck in a bootloop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Ideapad Y510P stuck in a bootloop: Out of nowhere my laptop started to get into some sort of bootloop. At first it was every 5 minutes it would restart, but after about an hour, it's just constantly restarting before it can even make it to any screen.I press the power button, the keyboard manages to light up...
  4. Lenovo Ideapad Y510P stuck in a bootloop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10: Hello there.I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card. I am using the latest drivers for windows 10 from Lenovo's website.Despite all the efforts I’ve put into fixing this issue for almost 2 years now there’s been no success. Kindly advise.I’ve...
  6. Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P running Windows 10: Hello there.I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card. I am using the latest drivers for windows 10 from Lenovo's website.Despite all the efforts I’ve put into fixing this issue for almost 2 years now there’s been no success. Kindly advise.I’ve...
  7. Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Nvidia GT 755M on Lenovo Ideapad Y510P: I own a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P which has an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card. I am using the latest drivers for windows 10 from Lenovo's website. The problem is that even with the drivers installed, none of the applications or games use the Nvidia graphics card. All of them run...
  8. BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume Lenovo Y510P

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Unmountable_Boot_Volume Lenovo Y510P: Hi folks I'm new to the forums to please excuse me. I'm currently posting from my phone so when my laptop comes on I'll attach the debug file. Basically I set my laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down and when I went back to resume my work (about 20 hours later) it...
  9. Audio driver for Lenovo Y510P

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio driver for Lenovo Y510P: Hello. I have Lenovo Y510P and upgraded to W10 64bit. It has no sounds and has an red X where the icon is. I hear that my laptop isnt W10 compatible but there must be someone out there using it on W10. What driver can I use?? I have tried the driver for 8 and 8.1 but it...
  10. HDD to SSD Lenovo Y510P

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD Lenovo Y510P: Hello, I want to change my HDD to a SSD. My Y510P is on Windows 10 and has a small 24gb SSD already. If I want to clone my HDD to my brand new Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD it's not working, because there are Windows files in my small 24gb SSD. In Disk Management it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Lenovo Y510p shuts down after 5 minutes

2. to disable hardware acceleration. lenovo ideapad 330s