Windows 10: windows 10 creation tool, Do I have to pick N edition?

Discus and support windows 10 creation tool, Do I have to pick N edition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It no longer has 'pro' edition as an option so I assume it will automatically detect I already have W10 pro (I'm doing a clean install) but if I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by supashaka, Mar 1, 2016.

1. supashaka Win User

windows 10 creation tool, Do I have to pick N edition?

It no longer has 'pro' edition as an option so I assume it will automatically detect I already have W10 pro (I'm doing a clean install) but if I just choose W10 and not the N version (I know UK users are supposed to) will it cause problems somehow?

Also is it true If the OS partition has less space does it mean the system could slow down?
    Is it better to have a separate partition for OS maybe 100GB which I also install games and apps to or should it be much smaller and just be for OS? If so what is a good size? Thanks

:)

supashaka, Mar 1, 2016
  2. rwpier Win User

Windows 10 Profession Clean install for Windows 7 Professional system.

Is there a way to perform a clean install for Windows 10 Professional. I currently have a Windows 7 Professional system but do not want to go through the upgrade process. I would prefer to perform a clean install. I have the Media Creation tool for Windows
    10 but do not see a method to select Windows 10 Professional in the "Edition" drop down. The only option is for "Windows 10" or "Windows 10 N". No explanation as to what "Windows 10 N" is. Found this statement "“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade
    path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro N)."
    However this does not does not indicate which I should select in the Media Creation Tool edition. If someone can confirm that the Media Creation Tool will allow the installation of Windows 10 Professional Edition and which "Edition" option to select would
    be great.

Thanks in advance.

rwpier, Mar 1, 2016
  3. FarePoljo Win User
    How to reinstall Windows 10 without Admin password ?

Hi,

In Windows creation tool what edition of Windows 10 do I need to use. I have Windows 10 Pro. But here only have Windows 10 and Windows 10 N

FarePoljo, Mar 1, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

RE : It no longer has 'pro' edition as an option so I assume it will automatically detect I already have W10 pro ....

Yes. Your assumption is correct.

RE : if I just choose W10 and not the N version (I know UK users are supposed to) will it cause problems somehow?

No. UK users are NOT obligated to choose the N version. N version comes to being at the result of the lawsuit against Microsoft for anti-trust law or something like that.
    If you Win 10 Pro is NOT a N version, then don't choose N version. European countries have the N version, but that does not mean you have to choose it.
    You stick to the version your computer is now running and there will be NO problems.

I won't answer the rest of your questions because I don't have enough knowledge to do so.

davidhk, Mar 1, 2016
  5. supashaka Win User
    How do I know if I have N version? I don't remember seeing WMC when I upgraded. Under version it just says W10 pro in system details.
    Hope someone can answer my partition Q

supashaka, Mar 1, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    N version does not have Internet Explorer included in the operating system
    To double check, do you have Internet Explorer > Go to Settings > All apps > scroll down to W and open Windows Accessories > is Internet Explorer listed there ?
    It it's there, you do NOT have the N version.

Are you using Edge or IE11 as your browser.

davidhk, Mar 1, 2016
  7. The N Edition is for EU, Switzerland and South Korea. Per Microsoft:
    N” and “KN” editions of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro are also available and include the same functionality as the standard editions, except that they do not include certain media related technologies (Windows Media Player, Camera, Music, Movies & TV) and does not include the Skype app.

cflusflwfl, Mar 1, 2016
  8. supashaka Win User

I'm pretty sure edge was the pre-installed browser, not 100%
    But I use Chrome. I can't actually access settings. The reason why I'm doing a clean install is it's messed up. I can't open the start button or anything on the task bar, everything must go through task manager and file explorer. When I click on settings through file explorer it just doesn't load up.

I do think I remember seeing skype somewhere on my PC too, but there's a small chance it's there from when I installed on W7. Is there any other way to know?

supashaka, Mar 1, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 <-go here

Scroll down to download tool now. Download and run the Media Creation Tool. Select Create Installation Media for another pc. On the next window leave the box for "Use the recommended options for this PC" checked and it will download the proper ISO file for you.

Or, you can attempt to solve your problem by just clicking the "upgrade now" button closer to the top of that same webpage.

NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2016
  10. If your computer has Windows Media Player installed, it is not the N edition. Go with the non N edition.

cflusflwfl, Mar 1, 2016
  11. supashaka Win User
    My PC just let me check luckily, I do have IE, skype and even WMP so it's definitely not the N version. Except now I'm wondering why I don't, since I'm in the UK?

Maybe that's why my PC messed up a month after upgrading? My problems started with Cortana. Here is a summary:

I upgraded to W10 from W7 roughly a month ago, all worked fine (except several issues with cortana, which I gave up on, and the Windows start button freezing, which started after about 3 weeks and which I eventually fixed by uninstalling all windows apps, then reinstalling. I think Cortana was the culprit).

2 days ago while watching video online the sound completely cut out, when I paused the video to see if I could fix the sound the video refused to play again. Trying to open new tabs with other videos such as youtube resulted in the videos not starting up at all, youtube would sometimes show a loading symbol in the video and it would be always buffering, but refused to play.

On top of this sometimes when I would check the internet connection symbol in the task bar it would say 'not connected' even though I could load up websites fine (just the video had problems) although most of the time it would show as 'connected'.

These problems usually start after 5-10 mins of starting a video, and only last around half an hour before fixing themselves, sound suddenly starts up again and videos play, but then it all happens again.

I've tried updating sound drivers, disabling all audio enhancements, I don't have any other devices to change the default device however. I've also run malware bytes just to rule out viruses etc. Plugging in headphones and system restart make no difference, it just seems to fix itself after a certain amount of time.

Under device manager-Sound, video and game controllers It says 'AMD High definition audio device' and 'Realtek High definition audio' are working properly. I'm not sure which one of these 2 are my sound card drivers?

This is the worst problem I've encountered on any of my devices so far, I never had any real problems when I built roughly a year ago running W7. It seems like more than just a sound driver problem since video stops playing also. In addition to this I also happened to install Andy ( Android emulator) and sound and video runs fine in that VM. This seems to point to this being an OS problem...why would W10 suddenly start behaving like this?

After that is when the start button and task bar froze again (all icons on it vanished and were unusable). But just now it unfroze, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

When I first upgraded, Cortana wouldn't work and I had to change language and other stuff to American English to get her to work. Does anyone think choosing N might fix the problems?

supashaka, Mar 1, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You will not be able to activate Windows N version.

NavyLCDR, Mar 1, 2016
  13. supashaka Win User

When I used the creation tool yesterday it let you choose any options but warned if the version wasn't the same you would need to enter a product key, and actually I did succeed in making an 'N' version (I thought at the time I must have an N version since I'm in the UK!) so I'm guessing I'll have to make a new one haha!

I have a new problem however, on boot up it states 'del' for bios setup and 'F11' for boot menu, but my keyboard doesn't activate until the login screen (the 'num' light on it stays off until then) and so obviously nothing I type registers. I disabled MSI fast boot, so I don't understand why it's happening?

I have to wait to make another boot media, but I read holding shift and restarting will work since I'm pretty sure I have a UEFI motherboard. Can anyone tell me if I do? MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

I've read it then restarts to a blue screen, but I'm not sure how to get to 'use a device' from there so I can boot from usb?

supashaka, Mar 2, 2016
  14. supashaka Win User
    Well I found that msi fast boot has a button that takes me to BIOS so that's sorted. If I use the creation tool to make a 'bootable USB', do the files have to remain in the root of the USB or can I put them all in a folder?

Also can I move them to a different usb and have it still work or do I have to do it from scratch if on another USB?

supashaka, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 creation tool, Do I have to pick N edition? - Similar Threads - creation tool pick

2. Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ?: Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-you-have-windows-10-32-bit-creation-tool/b861afb5-88e5-406d-af3d-a0df791ad700
  3. Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ?: Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-you-have-windows-10-32-bit-creation-tool/b861afb5-88e5-406d-af3d-a0df791ad700
  4. Do you have windows 10 32 bit creation tool ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Education Edition Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Education Edition Media Creation Tool: Hello, I received CD-Key for Microsoft Windows 10 Education Edition from my college. I want to install this on my PC build I'm completing soon. I'm trying to make a USB thumb drive using the tool found here....
  6. Windows 10 Creation Tool

Windows 10 Creation Tool: Just a quick question to be sure considering I am getting older and forget more often lol. What is the date of the latest Windows 10 1809 file? I have one a few months ago and was wondering if I should download a newer version if there is one and place on USB. I plan on...
  7. Using Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Education edition

Using Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Education edition: I'm trying to create an installer on a USB thumb drive for Windows 10 Education using the Media Creation Tool but I'm having a little trouble. When I run the tool and get to this screen: [ATTACH] There is no other option under the dropdown for "Edition". It just shows...
  8. Media Creation Tool upgraded wrong edition

Media Creation Tool upgraded wrong edition: Hello everyone how you doing ? I faced an awkward problem which is , I downloaded windows 10 Pro x64 bit and installed it with not problem and activated it and I made sure it's Pro Edition from ---> This PC----> Properties and I tried to update Windows through Update settings...
  9. Selection of Windows Edition on Media Creation Tool(1803)

Selection of Windows Edition on Media Creation Tool(1803): Hi, I would like to download current Windows 10 pro edition as ISO but MCT would not give me a choice. I read on a few site that ISO files which downloaded via this tool are now edition independent and only product key determine the edition. [ATTACH] So, I've...
  10. New Media Creation Tool doesn't have all editions?

New Media Creation Tool doesn't have all editions?: Hi, I want to upgrade my laptops using clean install so I used the Media Creation Tool but I only see 3 options: Windows 10 Windows 10 Home Single Language Windows 10 N. [img] Where is Pro? I have Windows 10 Pro and there is no ISO for that. :S Yesterday, I...