Windows 10: Windows 10 Creator Edition problem with excessive CPU use - thumbnails

Discus and support Windows 10 Creator Edition problem with excessive CPU use - thumbnails in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm a new poster here, hoping someone might help me not get driven mad by Windows 10 Creator Edition. I have a decent PC, i5-2500, 16gb memory,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by barryu, May 7, 2017.

1. barryu Win User

Windows 10 Creator Edition problem with excessive CPU use - thumbnails

Hi, I'm a new poster here, hoping someone might help me not get driven mad by Windows 10 Creator Edition.

I have a decent PC, i5-2500, 16gb memory, NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card. It ran all previous windows 10 editions very well.
    Since Creator Edition installed itself (Version 1703, OS Build 15063.138) Windows Explorer has started eating up 40-50% of my CPU power (see pic below).

I found a way to prevent this, by going to Advanced System Settings > Performance Managent > Visual Effects and changing from "Let Windows Choose what's best for my computer" to "Adjust for best performance". However this means I lose a lot of the graphic perks I value in Windows 10.
    By systematically tweaking the options under visual effects, I found that removing the tick from "show thumbnails instead of icons" stops the Windows explorer problem - which suggest to me that this is the problem. I just have no idea how to fix it.
    In all previous Windows 10 builds I've had no issues with this, and I use thumbnails a heck of a lot for graphic stuff, so I'm a bit stuffed without them! Help!

:)

barryu, May 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 Creator Edition problem with excessive CPU use - thumbnails

Hi,

A quick update in case anyone else has the problem.

It seems to be a conflict between Fences 3, Windows 10 Creator Edition, and any pdf files you store on your desktop. WIndows explorer tries to produce thumbnails from the pdfs and everything goes crazy as a result.

Simplest solution is to remove all pdf files from the desktop.

Stardock are working on a fix within Fences.

Barryu_616, May 7, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User

Hello,

For us to isolate the issue that you are experiencing, may we know if the issue persists when you boot your device in Safe Mode? This if for us to know if the issue is being caused by software conflicts within your device.

You may boot your device in Safe Mode by following the steps here in
    Start your PC in Safe Mode in Windows 10

However, some performance issues may be resolved by updating your Windows 10 device. We suggest that you check if there are pending updates waiting to be installed on your device. To check for updates now, select the
    Start button, then go to Settings > Update & security
    > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

David Haz, May 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Creator Edition problem with excessive CPU use - thumbnails - Similar Threads - Creator Edition problem

2. Excessive GPU-CPU usage when not using the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive GPU-CPU usage when not using the computer: While looking at my phone in front of the computer, an error came to the computer screen.I saw that it's about excessive GPU usage. But I was not using the laptop for 30-40 minutes and no programs were open that would tire my computer.I opened the task manager and suddenly...
  3. Excessive GPU-CPU usage when not using the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive GPU-CPU usage when not using the computer: While looking at my phone in front of the computer, an error came to the computer screen.I saw that it's about excessive GPU usage. But I was not using the laptop for 30-40 minutes and no programs were open that would tire my computer.I opened the task manager and suddenly...
  4. Excessive CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive CPU Usage: I have a hard time running programs because its always lagging. Even if I run a single tab. Even if I run a single program. And even when it's idle on the desktop screen with no running programs. It always seems to use like near 50% of CPU then goes to 100%. I always kill...
  5. Windows creator edition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows creator edition: I keep getting a blue screen it just has a arrow and a power symbol and press he arrow press the arrow and it just reboots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-creator-edition/b21a1c5b-4b61-4e48-9063-5abd1143e79e
  6. wsappx program using excessive amounts of CPU.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    wsappx program using excessive amounts of CPU.: Dear Microsoft Support, I have a windows 10 home edition computer that is completely up to date. I attempted to run the Microsoft Store a couple weeks back, and it would not respond in any way. I look up the windows store in the Cortana search window, click on it, and...
  7. Windows explorer excessive CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer excessive CPU usage: My machine is WIN10, ran WPR on a clean boot, started recording right after cpu usage jumped. WPR log I appreciate any ideas anyone can offer....
  8. Problem After Installing Fall Creators Edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem After Installing Fall Creators Edition: I did a clean install (deleted all partitions) and having a strange problem...When I download a program and try to install it, the UAC comes up and warns me that "YOUR ORGANIZATION HAS PREVENTED YOU FROM INSTALLING THIS APPLICATION"... It won't let me install anything...I...
  9. Windows 10 Creator Edition Restart Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Creator Edition Restart Problems: I have a Samsung Ultrabook i5 laptop which was working fine prior to upgrading to Windows 10 Creator last week. Instead of upgrading from the prior version, I opted for a complete clean install using Windows 10 Media Installer. I am having a lot of issues with Windows Restart...
  10. Windows Creator Pro Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Creator Pro Edition: I am a little confused about the Creators Edition I have a machine that is running Windows 10 Pro if I install the Creators Edition does it select a Creators Edition Pro or is there such a thing? 83329

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 18312.1001 issues