Windows 10: Windows 10 cuts off the sound device when there is no playback ATM

Discus and support Windows 10 cuts off the sound device when there is no playback ATM in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I've been having this issue for long time now but I didn't mention until now because that's not a big problem in my PC as my USB Sound card will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Xtreme512, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Xtreme512 Win User

Windows 10 cuts off the sound device when there is no playback ATM

Hey, I've been having this issue for long time now but I didn't mention until now because that's not a big problem in my PC as my USB Sound card will open itself up when there is a sound to play back immediately. But in my notebook's internal sound device, it won't. Any fix for this?

Scenario below;
    1) I'm playing a sound coming from whatever you name it foobar2000, YouTube.
    2) After a fixed 3-4 seconds closing the player, you hear a pop noise, understanding that sound device is turned off like disabled, like never there.
    3) Open player again, no sound at all.
    4) Until you change the volume from the taskbar right below to anything above 30%.

Then same scenario happens. The thing is in PC with USB card, its automatic but in notebook, I have to click on the volume bar at least 1-2 times above 30%. If I click below like 25% it won't work either (funny).

:)

Xtreme512, Apr 30, 2017

2. MP3 files won't play on windows 10.

Turns out I had an external firewire playback device plugged in and it became the default playback device automatically. When I shut it off the sound goes back to the sound on the pc and mp3s work.

Guy R Cochrane, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Laptop Sound Card Driver Problem (Conexant SmartAudio HD in Window 10 anniversary update)

Sounds would be cut off from speakers during songs/video/games while Window still detecting the sound outputs. It can be "fixed" temporary and very briefly (a few minutes) by plugging earphone jack into and out of either of the jacks AND weirdly, switching
    between the Playback and Recording tab under Sound.
    Everything works fine for earphones. There is no problem hearing sounds using them.
    Troubleshooting with audio playback can't detect any problem. No indication of failure of drivers in Device Manager.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver with restarting and shutdowns, even uninstalling it totally and made Window switches back to High Definition Audio device. Interestingly, the above temporary "fixes" would not work for High Definition
    Audio device after the sounds got cut off. It would stay at the detecting-sound-output-but-no-sound-from-speaker stage until I restart. So for now I reinstalled Conexant SmartAudio HD.

I tried hard and soft reset , tried updating the driver manually and auto.

I've tried restoring to previous point and also uninstalling recently installed software but the problem still persists.
    Would be grateful to see any thoughts on this problem.

Khaledfarra, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Xtreme512 Win User

no one knows how to fix it? no one encountered this problem?

edit: accidentally posted it in wrong forum area. can someone move it to the general support?

Xtreme512, May 2, 2017
  5. Welcome to the forums Xtreme512!

No, I haven't encountered this particular problem. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your sound drivers? What have you tired to do to fix it? How long has it been happening? Any new hardware or software installed right before it started? Have you tried a system restore to a point before it started? You're not really giving us much to work with here you know.

indianacarnie, May 4, 2017
  6. Xtreme512 Win User
    Hey,

Nothing different at all, I did everything same as I did with Windows 8.1 which had no problem over the years. So, it was a clean install of Windows 10 both on my PC and notebook. In PC I have this Xonar U7 installed its own drivers and in notebook its Realtek HD onboard card and I let Windows 10 install drivers it like so it even installed the compatible Realtek audio software. And the situation for both of the devices are as above I explained.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is not necessary as everything works fine from the scratch and there were no upgrade from older drivers or driver corruptions etc.
    I didn't actually try anything for this particular problem because I don't know how to address it. But I always set up my settings as high performance etc. so I was suspecting its a some kind of battery saver feature of Windows 10 to turn off audio device when not in use. I also set my audio settings for bit-perfect playback, no DSP effects at all, so the sound is not affected/altered by anything.

It is happening from the scratch, so no restore points etc.

I did give all the information in the first place. From this point on, I can't really speculate about this situation any further. I can only guess that it's some kind of intended feature or bug that cripples the device within the Windows kernel. Most likely I can't fix it by just changing settings and it needs to be patched.

edit: Im not saying its critical. I can live with it but curious if anyone had the issue before and maybe even have a fix sort of.

Xtreme512, May 4, 2017
  7. No, as I mentioned earlier I haven't noticed this problem on my machine. I have a Bluetooth external speaker set-up btw, but haven't noticed it either with them or the on board. Sorry I couldn't help more.

indianacarnie, May 4, 2017
  8. Xtreme512 Win User

How can I forward this to Microsoft engineers? Opening a thread on Microsoft forums is enough?

Xtreme512, May 4, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I've worked a lot of audio problems in the last 15 years on forums and your problem is a first. I use both my PC sound and as I also have a recording studio, I use my USB connected recording interface unit (MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid). Neither have the problem you describe.

Can you post a screenshot of the Device Manager, Sound section.
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Tutorials

fireberd, May 4, 2017
  10. Xtreme512 Win User
    Windows 10 cuts off the sound device when there is no playback ATM [​IMG]

nothing fancy.

Xtreme512, May 5, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    The Device manager looks OK. I would have to say some application is causing the problem.

fireberd, May 5, 2017
  12. Xtreme512 Win User
    not possible because on both machines this problem occurred from the very fresh install.

Xtreme512, May 5, 2017
  13. fireberd Win User

On the one with the ASUS Xonar sound card, make sure the on-board sound is disabled in the BIOS to avoid any problems. If both are enabled in Windows it could cause a conflict.

fireberd, May 5, 2017
  14. Xtreme512 Win User
    Sure I disabled the onboard sound card since the first day I created my PC years ago. BIOS is completely configured by me, I always watch out for things like that.

Xtreme512, May 6, 2017
  15. fireberd Win User
    Just trying to eliminate the potentials.

fireberd, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cuts off the sound device when there is no playback ATM - Similar Threads - cuts off sound

2. Sound: Playback: double devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound: Playback: double devices: I'm seeing these in my Windows Sound: Playback area. It may be because I had the HDMI Plugged into other HDMI outputs on the same monitor? IDK but I just want to get the one below the top one that actually works gone.Not entirely sure how to do that. Reason for this?; Because...
  3. Sound: Playback: double devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound: Playback: double devices: I'm seeing these in my Windows Sound: Playback area. It may be because I had the HDMI Plugged into other HDMI outputs on the same monitor? IDK but I just want to get the one below the top one that actually works gone.Not entirely sure how to do that. Reason for this?; Because...
  4. No sound showing in playback device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound showing in playback device: I checked on device manager and I have audio driver installed but I have x mark in my speaker, and I checked in my playback devices no speaker showing. I have no sound at all. I have updated the drivers and Windows, but my sound is not coming....
  5. Headphones keep disconnecting in playback and sound cuts off?

Headphones keep disconnecting in playback and sound cuts off?: As the title says my sound keeps getting cut off and the problem shouldn't be the headphones themselves but rather an issue with the pc I believe. When the sound cuts off i'll have no sound for a few seconds to maybe 30+ seconds. I tried removing all other devices and only...
  6. Headphones keep disconnecting in playback and sound cuts off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones keep disconnecting in playback and sound cuts off?: As the title says my sound keeps getting cut off and the problem shouldn't be the headphones themselves but rather an issue with the pc I believe. When the sound cuts off i'll have no sound for a few seconds to maybe 30+ seconds. I tried removing all other devices and only...
  7. Headphones keep disconnecting in playback and sound cuts off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Sound in "communication" apps cuts off when pausing media playback with Bluetooth headphones

Sound in "communication" apps cuts off when pausing media playback with Bluetooth headphones: Whenever I use my wireless Bluetooth headset I have to have some media playing: Youtube, Twitch, Spotify… anything, it even can be muted; or else I get no sounds in any of communication apps like Teams or Discord and whenever my Teams get a notification all sounds cut in...
  9. Sound keeps cutting off

Sound keeps cutting off: Please someone HELP! I have tried everything suggested to get my sound back. Started with update my driver, then tried to change settings, then uninstalled and reinstalled, and finally a system restore to an earlier date. Nothing has helped. Everyday I start the computer...
  10. Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults: My DELL laptop with Win10 is usually coupled to a HD Monitor with speakers. When I disconnect it and go mobile, Win10 doesn't automatically find and default to the laptop's own speakers??? Any ideas please how to get Win10 to handle this? 50797