Windows 10: Windows 10 - data corruption issues

Discus and support Windows 10 - data corruption issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since W10 (and I do like it) I have had lots of file corruptions (system and “unable to open ...user/desktop/ as location is corrupt or unreadable),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xxx123, Mar 29, 2016.

1. xxx123 Win User

Windows 10 - data corruption issues

Since W10 (and I do like it) I have had lots of file corruptions (system and “unable to open ...user/desktop/ as location is corrupt or unreadable), and on at
    least three occassions (in 3 months) the start menu has stopped working (won't pop up) and some taskbar icons have dissappeared (usually at the same time as start menu error), mail and edge won't open, backup option becomes unavaliable, and windows update won't install up dates. Not all of the above at the same time but each issue has happen multiple times quite a short period.

With my Samsung Evo 250 GB ssd im getting data corruption, windows apps stops working and windows 10 can no longer start issues due to corruption of system files.

I have run many tests on my ssd:

Samsung Magician says drive is healthy.
    SeaTools 'long test' says 100% pass
    memtest on my RAM passes all tests
    chkdsk (when getting errors but windows still bootable) says no errors
    sfc (when getting errors but windows still bootable) says 100% ok
    Malwarebytes (when getting errors but windows still bootable) nothing found
    windows defender (when getting errors but windows still bootable) nothing found

Any ideas as to what may be causing corruption of system files on my hard drive?

Bad RAM? (but it passed memtest test )

My rams: Kingston 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600

Cpu is 3770K and psu Corsair 850 RM.

Windows 10 is installed due to MBR partition. Motherboard is Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 UEFI.

:)

xxx123, Mar 29, 2016
  2. Oli_M Win User

Windows 10 Instability and data corruption issues

Since W10 (and I do like it) I have had multiple BSOD resulting in no longer being able to start windows, with start up repair saying

unable to fix errors, lots of file corruptions (system and “unable to open ...user/desktop/ as location is corrupt or unreadable), and on at

least three occassions (in 3 months) the start menu has stopped working (won't pop up) and some taskbar icons have dissappeared (usually at the same time as start menu error), mail and edge won't open, backup option becomes unavaliable, and windows update won't
    install up dates. Not all of the above at the same time but each issue has happen multiple times quite a short period.

When I have gone through all the usual steps to repair these errors, like chkdsk, sfc, create new user, reinstall windows apps and manually installing updates, stop/starting backup and shadow copy services, the issue has not been resolved and I have had to
    either reset my PC, reinstall windows or recover from a system image, many times.

Note with my most recent failures (the following occured all within one day), including start menu not popping up, mail and edge not opening, windows apps icons missing from taskbar, backup no working, and corrupt/unreadable /user/desktop location (which
    made me write this post/request for help), sfc verification was successful with no errors being found (confusing).

My gut feeling is its a memory issue, but I have tested my RAM with memtest (always passed every test) and checked out my SSD with

vender software (OCZ Guru) which reported 99% heath and tonnes of life left.

Is it likley to be any of the following?

1. not enabling overprovisioning within windows partition of SSD (but plenty of spare space);

2. the SSD is faulty; and/or,

3. malicious software (I have done secure erases of SSD but not HDDs).

Or any other ideas?

I am getting really frustrated, it is ruining my productivity, I just want to get back to a stable system and get on with my work.

I am considering buying a new hard disk, but don't want to spend £100+ if it won't solve the problem.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oli_M, Mar 29, 2016
  3. Oli_M Win User
    Windows 10 Instability and data corruption issues

I changed the SATA port of my SSD and cable, re-installed, and fingers crossed its been stable so far.

I will give it a week and then mark as solved if everything is still ok.

Thanks for your support

Oli_M, Mar 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, wish I could give you an exact answer but my crystal ball is currently down for scheduled maintenance.

The start menu has stopped working (won't pop up) and some taskbar icons have disappeared (usually at the same time as start menu error)
    As you are probably aware this is quite commonly reported. Why does it happen? Hmm.. it's not happened to me. Can't recall anyone discovering why..

However, Windows is vulnerable- programs can write over significant parts of the OS.

You could check your reliability history (Just type reliabl in Cortana's search ar) and see if that suggests anything.
    I would suggest checking your startup programs and looking for anything a bit obscure that you don't really need and try disabling that for a while.

Bear in mind that sfc /scannow won't correct a damaged user profile, for example. So if sthg in the registry has been corrupted, checking your system files is sthg different.

Defensive strategy- use disk imaging and keep it updated so you can restore your PC to a previous working state.

dalchina, Mar 29, 2016
  5. xxx123 Win User
    Also i cant run Event Viewer and task manager . They are not responding. Is this related to hardware or software?

But like i said memtest86 showing not errors, and SDD status is 100% heathly.

xxx123, Mar 30, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Can still you boot into normal mode?
    Try Windows key + X, click Event Viewer

For Reliability History:
    either
    Windows key + R. and type 'perfmon /rel' in the box (+<enter>)
    or
    Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)
    Type 'perfmon /rel' in the box (+<enter>)

Post a screenshot of the reliability monitor - explore the fault reports, look for anything significant.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    After that, if you can get into normal mode, try an in-place upgrade repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This keeps all your settings bar a couple, all your data and installed programs.

If that's unsuccessful you might try a test- create a new user. Are all problem eliminated? If so => user profile corruption.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2016
  8. xxx123 Win User

Somebody said to me this:"in my case it was 100% hardware issue, specifically the ssd.

many SSDs are know to slow down over time, usually in certain regions of thr drive, sometime the slow down can be so severe that data fail to be read completly.

i have 2 crucial m4 ssds:
    1. requires refresh (or format) every 2~3 months.
    2. requires refresh (or format) every 12~18 months.

i made detailed post in the past somewhere in this forum about the issue.
    "
    And he said to maybe rma SSD:"If I were you, i would try to RMA the drive."

So maybe it was SSD fault or something? Maybe something with SSD ? But it working fine with GPT partition now. I am after format this time with GPT and all is fine.
    So why it get corrupted with MBR then? So why it not worked well with MBR then ?

What you think? But Samsung Magician Smart tells that are fine.

xxx123, Mar 30, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Can you get to Safe Mode and try running Reliability History from there?

And whilst in Safe Mode check your start menu, apps etc are working. (Note some things aren't available in Safe Mode where related services aren't running)

It sounds like you need to prove to yourself it's not your SSD dying- there I can only suggest setting up a working system on a different disk, and see if that fails.

(You can't usefully clone what you've got now as it isn't working)

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - data corruption issues - Similar Threads - data corruption issues

2. Corrupt Data Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt Data Files: locate and delete corrupt data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-data-files/9aed910a-ccbd-46bd-bd14-1d5b27c3a379
  3. Corrupt Data Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt Data Files: locate and delete corrupt data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-data-files/9aed910a-ccbd-46bd-bd14-1d5b27c3a379
  4. BSOD Store Data Structure Corruption on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Store Data Structure Corruption on Windows 10: Hi, I'm getting from time to time a BSOD with "Store Data Structure Corruption" error code. I've run already following commands:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth but I'm still getting this...
  5. Fix GOG Galaxy game Corrupted data issue

in Windows 10 News
    Fix GOG Galaxy game Corrupted data issue: [IMG]When you are unable to load the saved data for a game in GOG Galaxy, try this simple workaround to fix it. Usually, this issue where the Your local copy of the Game is corrupted message is seen in GOG Galaxy affects only the corresponding games or apps. So, reinstalling...
  6. Configuration data corrupt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuration data corrupt: Hello, upon startup, I receive a blue screen error “The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel.” The OK button does not work and I am unable to enter safemode. I have no Windows 10 discs but do possess serial numbers. Any...
  7. Windows 10 BSOD Store Data Corruption

Windows 10 BSOD Store Data Corruption: I have been facing this error for a while now. It occurs when I use heavy ram hungry applications or games like Rainbow 6 Siege. Midgame it would freeze and crash to a BSOD. The memory dump file is here. I have done mem test on the rams individually and both are...
  8. Data Corrupted by Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Corrupted by Defragmentation: This is my first post in this forum. The Problem: Today, I decided to defragment and optimise my 2TB external Hard Disk using Auslogics Defragmenter. Now, a little background here. The partition that I defragmented was a 1.8TB partition encrypted by VeraCrypt, a fork of...
  9. BSOD Instability and data corruption issues

BSOD Instability and data corruption issues: Since W10 (and I do like it) I have had multiple BSOD resulting in no longer being able to start windows, with start up repair saying unable to fix errors, lots of file corruptions (system and “unable to open ...user/desktop/ as location is corrupt or unreadable), and on at...
  10. Dual Boot issues (Win7/10) and data corruption

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot issues (Win7/10) and data corruption: I have a major problem and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to resolve it. Here's my environment: - I have Win7 installed on Drive 0 on a single partition (SSD); except for 100MB "system reserved" partition - I have Win10 installed on Drive 1, which has 3...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 data corruption

2. arcgis windows 10 data corruption issue

3. data corruption windows 10