Windows 10: Windows 10 deactivated after mobo replace.

Discus and support Windows 10 deactivated after mobo replace. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I have a problem. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 (key from Dreamspark) to Windows 10 in april. After RTM release, everything was OK, but I replaced my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rsc, Aug 25, 2015.

1. RSC
    rsc Win User

Windows 10 deactivated after mobo replace.

Hi I have a problem. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 (key from Dreamspark) to Windows 10 in april. After RTM release, everything was OK, but I replaced my old motherboard (because it was just cheap shit and it just broke) to Sabretooth 990FX 2.0.
    My Windows is now deactivated.
    I called to M$ support center and they said that I need to do clean install Windows 8 (yes I have key from 8.0) -> 8.1 -> Windows 10 (of course I told them that I REPAIRED my PC, not upgraded)
    This is good joke I said (I have really a lot of software highly configured like Android Studio with all libraries which I need, and much much more), and that woman said that she can't do anything because ... yeah, she couldn't tell why exactly.
    I have a question - when I install Win 8 on other HDD and update it to Win10 and then activate it, the license will be transferred to my windows live account again with new MOBO s/n? And then, when I turn on my primary Win 10 installation and try to activate it again... it will activate or not?

I really don't want to lose 2 or 3 days for configuration.

:)

2. Windows 10 Deactivate after change my mobo

Hi I buy windows 8.1 license and I update my windows 8.1 Pro to windows 10, yesterday I replace my mobo and my memorys, and now windows 10 is deactivate I put my license key to reactivate but it doesn't accept me that license.

Please help

Alain IskanderAbrahan Paz, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Datkur Win User
    Files missing to create recovery media Win 10

After intermittent mobo problems and replacing mobo, tried to create recovery CD for Win 10. Message "cannot create recovery media, some files missing"

This is a dual boot Win 7 home premium 64bit system. Win 10 installed from iso CD on SSD after HD change but pre mobo change and no problems with CHKDSK now. How an I define missing files and replace them ? Possibility is that mobo caused corruption but
    system working OK and only problem is creating recovery CD/USB.

Datkur, Aug 25, 2015
  4. 99taws6 Win User

Unfortunately it's tied to the motherboard using things like the MAC address off the NIC and stuff like that. I would do the upgrade now and get it activated with the new board, wipe it and do a clean install and then do all of your permanent installs. Not what you wanted to hear but.....

99taws6, Aug 25, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, you can do it that way. Just one technical correction, though - the license is not transferred to your windows live account. The activation is stored on Microsoft activation servers using your hardware configuration and has nothing to do with your Microsoft account. Of course the HDD you install WIN 8 and upgrade to WIN 10 on has to be connected to the new motherboard - but I assume that is what you meant.

Or, you can call Microsoft again and ask to speak to someone higher up the employee chain. Microsoft can give you the code to activate your Windows 10 - its just a matter of finding the right person willing to do it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
  6. 99taws6 Win User
    So what hardware configuration is it saving? The motherboard is being replaced? I find it hard to believe it's the HDD that's a very commonly replaced piece of hardware. It's gotta be a more static piece like a NIC using a MAC or MOBO I would imagine.

99taws6, Aug 25, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The hardware configuration is 99% motherboard/CPU related. You can replace a HDD and change memory without triggering the change in hardware configuration. Which is exactly why you can install WIN 8 on a spare HDD, upgrade to WIN 10 on the spare HDD, then put your original HDD back in and it will activate.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
  8. 99taws6 Win User

That's what I mean. He changed his MOBO so how is he gonna activate? He will have to redo activation correct?

99taws6, Aug 25, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, he will have to redo activation. And he can do that using a spare HDD. He could even do that with just an empty partition on the existing hard drive.

Sequence of events:

1. Change of MOBO triggered a change in hardware configuration which deactivated WIN 10 on HDD A.
    2. Remove HDD A from new MOBO and put blank HDD B on it.
    3. Install WIN 8 on HDD B. Ensure it is activated. Upgrade to WIN 10. Ensure it is activated.
    4. Now the new MOBO hardware info is stored on Microsoft activation servers.
    5. Remove HDD B and reinstall HDD A.
    6. The existing Windows 10 on HDD A will activate based upon the hardware info stored on Microsoft activation servers in step 4.

Windows 10 recalculates the hardware configure each time it starts. If it is the same as last time, it stays activated. If it is different than last time it deactivates - and if it doesn't find the new hardware on Microsoft activation servers, it stays deactivated.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
  10. 99taws6 Win User
    Gotcha but with the programs already installed on the existing HDD it doesn't really equate to a clean install in my eyes. I don't like to operate that way. I'll spend the time for clean paths.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm in school now learning a new career so I try to be a sponge and absorb what I can.

99taws6, Aug 25, 2015
  11. RSC
    rsc Win User
    I really don't understand why you think that license is not stored on windows account.
    When I open Windows Store, I have information that I have a legit system.
    BTW, all users with upgraded 7/8 to 10 has activated win 10 by generic key (which has many people).
    And if it is true, than my way to activate my existing win 10 is wrong. I thought that my license is stored on my windows account (as M$ stated) and all I wanted to do, was activate my new mobo (or just upgrade my license information) on temporary installed system.

EDIT, I just read next posts.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Simple. Do a clean install and never log in to a Microsoft account. Just install it with a local user account on that computer and Windows will activate (if that computer was upgraded first.) Tell me how that happens if the license is stored in a Microsoft account? I have done 3 clean installs and I always start with only a local account because I want the User folder to be John and johnh. Every time the Windows 10 has activated before changing the local account login to a MS account.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
  13. RSC
    rsc Win User

But you know, that if you install Windows 10 without SN (but you activated it in past) and after installation log in to your M$ account, then your system will activate? So maybe they are storing activation data on M$ account AND their activation servers simultaneously?

14. 99taws6 Win User
    What if you use your Microsoft account on multiple PC's? Does it store that info on all the systems? I have my account on 4 windows 10 systems currently so could I mix and match and be good?

I'm not in anyway saying you are wrong I'm only trying to learn.

99taws6, Aug 25, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you install Windows 10 without SN (but you activated in the past) and without ever logging into your M$ account, then your system will still activate. So, no, they are not storing activation data on the M$ account. Activation is on a per computer basis - not the user.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 deactivated after mobo replace. - Similar Threads - deactivated mobo replace

2. HELP! I Can't Activate My Win10 After Replacing MoBo

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HELP! I Can't Activate My Win10 After Replacing MoBo: Hello!I've been going through support options and community support threads for days and can't seem to find an answer that works. PH customer service doesn't seem to exist and only gives me "no routes found" on the prompt no matter what time or day I try to call them.I...
  3. HELP! I Can't Activate My Win10 After Replacing MoBo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! I Can't Activate My Win10 After Replacing MoBo: Hello!I've been going through support options and community support threads for days and can't seem to find an answer that works. PH customer service doesn't seem to exist and only gives me "no routes found" on the prompt no matter what time or day I try to call them.I...
  4. HELP! I Can't Activate My Win10 After Replacing MoBo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD on a newly replaced MOBO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on a newly replaced MOBO: Hello guys, I had this problem for a few months already and I ha my motherboard replaced to fix the problem. But only after a few days, the same BSOD happened with the same error. Maybe someone can help me with this. Here is the latest dumpfile of the last BSOD....
  6. Replaced MOBO, BSOD, Freezes and Crashes

Replaced MOBO, BSOD, Freezes and Crashes: Hello all, Long story short, I replaced my motherboard last night and since then I've been having some BSOD, freezes and crashes. Narrowing it down, I think it may be driver related. But honestly, I have no clue. Here are my specs: CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x GPU: Nvidia 2070 Super...
  7. Reactvation after MOBO and CPU replacement.

Reactvation after MOBO and CPU replacement.: A few days ago I attempted to perform the cu update from 1903 xxxxx.418 to 1909 using the files and procedure from uudump. Downloading and creating the ISO all went well. Mounted the ISO on my SSD and initiated the upgrade. It was proceeding as it should. At some point my pc...
  8. FAN NOT WORKING AFTER MOBO REPLACEMENT

FAN NOT WORKING AFTER MOBO REPLACEMENT: Hi guys, i have a lenovo ideapad 320E its specs are i5-7200U 8gb ddr4 2gb nvidia 940 mx ... It recently got short circuited and i had to get the motherboard replaced,fortunately for me it was covered under warranty but now when i use dxdiag tool it shows my model is...
  9. Windows 10 and a replacement mobo of the same make and model

Windows 10 and a replacement mobo of the same make and model: Had to pull a one week old motherboard and return it and which is being replaced with another of the same make and model. The Windows 10 registration & MS approval is on the boot drive, but will I have a problem with Windows 10 because of the change? 113038
  10. Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.

Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.: I get this message to activate windows but when I do it says that I "don't have a valid digital license or product key" error code 0x803f7001 70209