Windows 10: windows 10 deleting partitions

Discus and support windows 10 deleting partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Which partitions can I safely delete. I want to get rid of constant message pop up "low disc space on recovery D" [img] 76237 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fay, Jan 30, 2017.

1. FAY
    fay Win User

windows 10 deleting partitions

Which partitions can I safely delete. I want to get rid of constant message pop up "low disc space on recovery D"
    windows 10 deleting partitions [​IMG]

:)

2. ayman_543 Win User

How to recover data from deleted partition HP

Dear admin:

I have an HP laptop15-F009VVM that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10

with 2 partition c & D by mistake i delete D partition after install

windows 10 clean install

how i can recover my deleted partition or files in D partition

Regards

ayman_543, Jan 30, 2017
  3. Can Reset This PC -> Remove Everything for Windows 10 also delete all the partitions on my HDD?

I want to Reset my Laptop running Windows 10, but I also want it to delete all of my partitions (including an Ubuntu Partition, a recovery partition, unallocated space, etc.) Does Reset This PC do this, or will it not delete my other partitions such as
    the Ubuntu Partition?

FusedAtoms, Jan 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Your Recovery partition looks big enough to be a manufacturer's recovery partition - to restore your PC to as bought.

But you don't, for example, seem to have a Windows 10 Recovery partition (about 450 -500Mb) which supports automatic repair and advanced troubleshooting options, used when things go wrong. So I would expect that if you did a SHIFT click restart, you would not have the normal set of options available to you.

Whether you keep the manufacturer's recovery partition is up to you. For example, you might wish to use it when selling your laptop. And if it's a new laptop, then it would presumably restore it with Win 10, if older, Win 8, Win 7... whatever came with the laptop.

dalchina, Jan 30, 2017
  5. FAY
    fay Win User
    @dalchina
    I honestly know very little about computers, I got as far as I did in screenshot through extensive research lol. My laptop came with 8 and I updated to 10. What is on my Recovery D, the factory recovery. Can you tell what it is?

6. Helmut Win User
    I would not delete any partition.
    The 20 GB D: partition is actually the Recovery partition of the Laptop containing the original OS Windows 8 and other stuff for your Laptop. Usually such partitions are almost full.

To get rid of the message take all partitions except C: off the Disk optimisation list.
    It's the only partition with a lot of changes.
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Defrag and Optimise Drives > Change settings > Drives, Choose > Just tick the box for the C: partition.
    A monthly schedule is enough.

Helmut, Jan 30, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    These days with the way activation is handled on Windows 10. I would consider removing the manufacturer's partition, since you can easily download Media Creation Tool and install Windows again and Windows would automatically re-activate. After installation, its a simple matter of going to HP's website, entering your laptop's model number and installing the drivers and other software.

I would back up the contents of the tools partition and remove it. Another thing to consider, is the software thats on that partition is likely quite old, its better to download the newer software from the website.

swarfega, Jan 30, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Are you, or a backup software backing up to the D:\Recovery Partition? If so, stop the back up immediately. Remove any Backup files on the drive. Other then that, you shouldn't touch the Recovery Partition. This partition is used if you need to reinstall Windows to Default settings. It has the Windows OS, but it also includes any drivers that are required from the manufacturer as well.
    If you have created a Recovery disc, you then can decide to delete the Partitions. Do not remove the small System Partition in the front of the drive as this has all of the Boot information. HP Notebook PCs - Removing the HP Recovery Partition | HP(R) Customer Support

spunk, Jan 30, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    It's used as I said to restore your PC to as it was when you bought it.
    So if you were to follow the instructions for your PC to use it, you would find your PC running Windows 8, and all of your programs and data will have gone.

See:
    Remove Your PC’s Recovery Partition and Take Control of Your Hard Drive

dalchina, Jan 30, 2017
  10. Maybe you are overthinking it, just disable the warning or increase recovery size, but that would be a wasted space.

Disable Low Disk Space Message in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7, 8.x, 10, or Vista

But then again, maybe Windows is looking for system recovery parition as dalchina mentioned.

What is System Reserved Partition in Windows 10/8/7

TairikuOkami, Jan 30, 2017
  11. Remove the drive letter for the D drive and the nag screen will go away. *Wink

I would remove the drive letter for E too. They will still work, Windows doesn't need to see them though. Normally on a factory install they don't have drive letters. You must have set them, or something you did set them inadvertently.

alphanumeric, Jan 30, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What @alphanumeric said is all you have to do.

@fay, go back into disk management (your screenshot in post #1), right click on D: drive, select change drive letter and paths, remove the drive letter. Then do the same thing for E: drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 deleting partitions - Similar Threads - deleting partitions

2. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  3. Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting windows 10 in dual boot and merge back partition: Hello I need help. I have a HP laptop with 500 gb hard drive. So i created two partitions of that 500 gb hard drive with AOEMI partition assistant and both are GPT partitions. In the first partition C: i installed windows 11 and in the second one i installed Windows 10 which...
  4. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  5. I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition

I am having trouble when I deleted Ubuntu's partition: I had a dual boot of windows and Ubuntu, but while digitally cleaning up my laptop, I accidentally deleted Ubuntu's partition.Now I am stuck with the grub 2.0 console. And this is an HP laptop 5 which has a UEFI system. I heard that in a UEFI system we can simply change the...
  6. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  7. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?: I have an HP laptop 15-r014tx. The specifications are : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04337700 .I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 12 GB4GB existing + 8GB new. I also installed a new 256GB SSD and the existing HDD was moved to the CD/DVD drive slot. Now, I do not...
  8. How to delete multiple EFI and Recovery partitions in Windows 10 ?

9. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...
  10. Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.

Installing UEFI or EFI windows 10 is much complicated if once EFI partition deleted.: There were some errors on old windows 10, the time I was working to fix the errors using Recovery mode Command Prompt I used command 'Clean' on windows disk I was to plan a new install.I was unaware about the problems if once the EFI partition is deleted this is going very...