Windows 10: Windows 10 deployment via WDS in Hyper-V VM not working

Discus and support Windows 10 deployment via WDS in Hyper-V VM not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I have WDS (Windows Deployment Services) running Windows Server 2012 (not R2) which is used to deploy Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ONeill, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ONeill Win User

Windows 10 deployment via WDS in Hyper-V VM not working

Hello all,
    I have WDS (Windows Deployment Services) running Windows Server 2012 (not R2) which is used to deploy Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 without problems.

Now I want to deploy Windows 10, but the problem is - when I add Windows 10 (build 10240) boot.wim to my WDS and try to network boot a virtual machine (hyper-v), windows logo appears and nothing else.

Screenshot where boot process stops and doesn't continue:

Windows 10 deployment via WDS in Hyper-V VM not working [​IMG]

However, when I try to network boot using a physical hardware (a laptop), boot process works just fine, everything is as expected.
    The some goes for using Oracle VM Virtualbox; when I do a network boot in this virtual machine, it works.

So my guess is there is a problem with Hyper-V.
    I'm using Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 x64.

Anyone else has this problem ?

:)

ONeill, Sep 11, 2015
  2. RFT OB1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, Sep 11, 2015
  3. CatHunter Win User
    MSDN Win 10 Pro Activation Issues

Hello,

I'm trying to activate the Windows 10 virtual machine running on my Windows 2012 R2 / Windows 10 Hyper-V machine.

The ISO was downloaded from MSDN, the license key comes with my MSDN subscription.

Installed the OS on a physical machine and activated the OS. This one worked fine. Next I've created a Windows 10 VM and run it in Hyper-V. Using the same and all other keys I can get via MSDN, non of them work. Some report error 7008001c, some non-core
    windows, etc ....

How do I get my Windows 10 VM activated?

Regards, V.

CatHunter, Sep 11, 2015
  4. ONeill Win User

Problem solved.
    Due to my unique environment, I had a different value under DHCP 67 option Bootfile name. By 'different' I mean some custom bootfile name we use in our environment.
    Once I changed it to "\boot\x64\wdsnbp.com" it worked in Hyper-V too.

ONeill, Sep 18, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
    Thanks for sharing the fix, it may help others *Thumbs

Dude, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 deployment via WDS in Hyper-V VM not working - Similar Threads - deployment via WDS

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  6. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM: I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization. I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license Does it need...
  7. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
  10. HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!

HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!: Hi there Trying to install programs while connected via RDP (the normal way of accessing your HYPER-V VM remotely). Cannot install programs. This seems a bit daft - I can't always be at the console of the HOST machine - I usually access VM's remotely anyway. cheers...
Tags: