Windows 10: Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them

Discus and support Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just bought a new PC on Thursday and it came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Having used versions 2.0 (yes I am ancient *Wink), carefully avoiding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kokopelli, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Kokopelli Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them

I just bought a new PC on Thursday and it came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Having used versions 2.0 (yes I am ancient *Wink), carefully avoiding Vista, ME and 8.x, and on via XP to 7, I felt it couldn't get much better now and had decided I would resist upgrading as long as at all possible.

I had also been convinced by friends that Windows 10 wasn't so bad, really, and anyway would soon be 'the only way to fly' if I wanted to continue using Microsoft OS's, so I finally relented the other day to the tune of
    $420.

For a day and half things went better than expected, and I felt like a convert. Then I started noticing peculiarities like e.g. laboriously configuring a piece of software to my preferences in one session, rebooting, and finding that it had reverted to it's pristine state; the configuring hadn't 'taken'.

How very odd for such a fine OS I thought, but plodded on nevertheless trying to ignore this curious behavior. As time wore on I noticed other oddities that I had not expected from an OS with such a long pedigree. I haven't kept a log of these lapses as I tried my best to keep ignoring them and hoping for the best.

Today I was greeted with a desktop with black rectangles on top of most, though not all, icons:

https://s12.postimg.org/6xybmmj71/Windows_10.jpg

The Chrome bookmark bar was, curiously, not affected:

https://s9.postimg.org/jl0rdgy2n/Windows_10_2.jpg

I could ignore this foolishness no longer and started Googling for 'my Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them', and got 467 000 results, some even boldly claiming to have solved the issue, (Solved) - LITTLE BLACK SQUARES « How-To Geek Forums being but one.

Well, not one of the 5 to 10 'solutions' I tried helped. Not a one. Still I thought I'd post here anyway before turning from convert to revert. And of course there is always Ubuntu and other Unix/Linux flavors, stable and reliable according to the
    proponents, but it is harder - though not undoable - to change a 29-year habit at age 59.

Pardon me for being so long-winded, but; there it is - please don't Tl;dr me because this means a lot to me
    and any answers may be of use to some of the other 467 000 unfortunates.

What are some of your thoughts on the above?

Thank you.
    *Smile

:)

Kokopelli, Aug 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 desktop Icons are blotted with small black square

Original title: My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

MarianneCusick, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Desktop Icons Displayed as Black Squares & Windows Explorer Icons Not Working Properly

No update from me, but I too have the black squares on my desktop icons. I don't have them in Explorer, nor do I have the missing file tree. I thought I had fixed them by a) increasing the size of the icon cache, and b) rebuilding the icon cache. That lasted
    through two reboots, but now the black squares are back, and the rebuilding no longer works. All desktop icons except for the recycle bin (which is a custom icon) show the black square.

I too ugraded from Windows 8; I have a Yoga 3 Pro with a Core i5, with Intel HD 5300 graphics adapter. Drivers are up to date.

This is very annoying.

Ivan Van Laningham, Aug 26, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

marsmimar, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Kokopelli Win User
    Hi marsimar. Welcome? That's sweet, thanks!

No, that was not one - I think - because I tried some sort of system cleaning tool (I forget the name) that was in a tiny window, looked like a remnant from circa Windows 2.0 and had checkmarks on the left where I could remove thumbnails, empty the recycle bin etc.

I was told to remove the thumbnails - but that didn't do it. I'll tell you a couple of things that did though: Finding and removing the IconCache.db files of which there were some 10 or so. Perhaps it comes to the same thing as rebuilding the icon cache?

Because when I shut down and restarted hey, presto - the black squares were gone. For a while...after which they returned...*Confused Then somebody asked if I had used a registry hack to remove the shortcut arrows? Affirmative. Well, I should undo that and this would (yet again) do the trick and sure enough, it did. For the time being, anyway.

On the whole I would say that the icon handling business (in the anniversary edition at least), is kinda iffy. That is especially true with custom icons. Some times the changes 'take' immediately, sometimes it takes a while sometimes such maneuvers are ignored outright.

Remember, when I googled the black squares problem I got a whopping 270 000 hits...no wonder this results in a gazillion more or less clever tips.

Also, I can laboriously configure a piece of software one day, the next it's in pristine condition and has to be reconfigured etc. ad nauseam.
    Well, seeyabye
    Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them [​IMG]

Kokopelli, Aug 26, 2016
  6. marsmimar Win User
    Just a couple of other things you might try (if you haven't already done so.) Run a full scan with your anti-malware of choice just to rule out any malware issues. Since no anti-malware product is 100% effective 100% of the time, you could also run an on-demand scan with any of several free products. Two products that are recommended are Malwarebytes and ESET Online Scanner

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal (click on "Free Download" bottom of left column)

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET ESET

If the scans come back clean (no malware found) my second suggestion is to run a System File Checker scan from an elevated command prompt or elevated powershell (Option Three, this tutorial.) The scan will check for any corrupted system files and try to repair them. If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command up to 3 times with fast startup turned off and restarting the computer after each scan to completely fix everything that it's able to.

SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

marsmimar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them - Similar Threads - desktop icons suddenly

2. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  3. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  4. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  6. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  7. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  8. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  9. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

in Windows 10 Customization
    black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  10. Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons have black square on them as I mouse over: I have an odd problem. Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a black square around them. It seems completely random when it does it. Today it did it while installing a piece of software, then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop icons have a mask over them