Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop Locked

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop Locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I hope you can help me with my W10 desktop problem. My desktop is showing zero icons. The background scene is showing fine. The desktop seems to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shamrock249, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Desktop Locked

Hi, I hope you can help me with my W10 desktop problem. My desktop is showing zero icons. The background scene is showing fine. The desktop seems to be 'Locked.' When I right click on it nothing happens. When I try to drag a folder or shortcut to the desktop nothing happens. My right click works normally within a web page or task bar etc. Even the recycle bin does not show. I have attached a screen capture of my current desktop. Can you please advise as to how I can restore my desktop? Thanks in advance for your help. Jim.

Windows 10 Desktop Locked [​IMG]

:)

shamrock249, Sep 20, 2015
  2. r057 Win User

Desktop icon lock/unlock???

This desktop lock feature is very good (Windows 10)

However, is it really effective?

1/

did re-position a desktop icon after doing the "lock" set..

Restart the computer.

the icon does not revert to the saved "lock" position

2/

another occasion after "lock" set

Windows found some error and did a restart

all the desktop icons reverted to a jumble

3. JBrcflyer Win User
    Locking desktop Icons in Windows10

I'm running on a Toshiba laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. The issue, as reported by others, is I move one or more desktop Icons from one place to another on the desktop. The next time I boot up laptop the desktop icons all have move
    to some random order. In Windows 7, 8, 8.1 you could lock those Icons in place or move them without have the operating system do it. Many people seem to be having the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10. I can't find the place where you can lock the
    desktop Icons in place. Maybe the term locking the desktop icons in place is not the correct term to be using. So, if someone out there can give detailed instructions it would be greatly appreciated by me and many others.

As for what triggers the problem is the big mystery.

Thanks for the response.

Note: I decide to go to Microsoft's web site and see if I could get help through their ASK support. What I found out was Windows 10 doesn't have anyway built in to it to lock your desktop icons. However, there is a free utility called Desklock that does
    what Windows 10 should allow; give it a try.This is the web site:
    http://www.intowindows.com/lock-desktop-icons-windows/

JBrcflyer, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Locked

Hi Shamrock, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Have you accidentally turned the desktop icons off? Right click desktop, select View > Show desktop icons:

5. Many thanks for getting back to me Kari. If you read my post again you'll see that I can't right click. That is the problem. It does not work. It works everywhere else throughout the computer but not on the desktop.

shamrock249, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    OK, I missed that.

Can you open the context menu using the menu key:

7. Run CMD as admin, copy and enter the following, then restart.

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Desktop Locked

1. Windows 10 Desktop Locked - Similar Threads - Desktop Locked

2. How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me: How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me since I play games on it when I type it distracts me so please respond to it as soon as you can....
  3. How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me: How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me since I play games on it when I type it distracts me so please respond to it as soon as you can....
  4. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  5. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  6. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. My desktop randomly crashed and locked, sometimes even the fan speeds up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop randomly crashed and locked, sometimes even the fan speeds up.: I've been facing some annoying issues with my desktop lately. It randomly freezes, crashes, and the fan speeds up without any clear reason. I am not quite sure is it hardware or OS issue. So could you please help me? I didn't take any photos, but you can imagine the screen...
  8. My desktop randomly crashed and locked, sometimes even the fan speeds up.

My desktop randomly crashed and locked, sometimes even the fan speeds up.: I've been facing some annoying issues with my desktop lately. It randomly freezes, crashes, and the fan speeds up without any clear reason. I am not quite sure is it hardware or OS issue. So could you please help me? I didn't take any photos, but you can imagine the screen...
  9. Lock screen via Microsoft Remote Desktop shows no way to sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen via Microsoft Remote Desktop shows no way to sign in: Hi there,On one of my Windows 11 Pro machines, I am having a strange problem:I successfully connect via Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS and the session is automatically signed in.When I'm away for a while, the machine switches to the lock screen but there are no buttons or...
  10. Lock screen via Microsoft Remote Desktop shows no way to sign in

Lock screen via Microsoft Remote Desktop shows no way to sign in: Hi there,On one of my Windows 11 Pro machines, I am having a strange problem:I successfully connect via Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS and the session is automatically signed in.When I'm away for a while, the machine switches to the lock screen but there are no buttons or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop locked

2. windows remote desktop loked