Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop showing apps not icons

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop showing apps not icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear Experts I am new to windows 10 , as I have been using windows 7 for a while. I tried to google for the issue that I have been experiencing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zillah, Sep 16, 2017.

1. zillah Win User

Windows 10 Desktop showing apps not icons

Dear Experts

I am new to windows 10 , as I have been using windows 7 for a while.

I tried to google for the issue that I have been experiencing but couldn't find a fix

Currently windows 10s desktop is showing apps how can I make it showing icons ,,,,I mean I want it same as windows 7 style

I tried to use :ClassicShell_4_3_1 but I wasn't sure if this would help ot not,,,,snapshot below showing ClassicShell was installed

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Second question I can't remove cortana although I used a small utility called : Uninstall Cortana from the link below

How to uninstall and remove Cortana in Windows 10 - Winaero

Thanks

:)

zillah, Sep 16, 2017
  2. Vicd Win User

Windows icon (lower left) no longer displays apps or start menu

When I turned on the computer today I had tiles on the desktop and the Windows icon no longer showed the apps menu or tiles showing pinned apps.

I clicked "Remove from Start" on the tiles on the desktop. But the Windows icon still does not launch. How can I restore "normal" Windows 10 operation?

(Hope I got the terminology right.)

Thank you in advance.

Vic

3. No start window or apps

Upgraded to windows 10, Two days later start window, apps and cortana quit opening. Icons still show on desktop but will not open

THEWolf169, Sep 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    Do you mean the desktop - or the Start Menu? Given your reference to Classic Shell, I assume you mean the Start Menu.

The Start Menu shows tiles on the right, and optionally (and by default) a list of programs, grouped, on the left.

Classic shell start menu is excellent- I and others here use it.
    If you install it, you can still launch the (poorly conceived, frustrating - my opinion) Win 10 start menu, and you can launch the Win 10 universal apps from it too.

Its search features are better, and the whole thing is much more configurable, flexible and intuitive.
    However, if you want tiles, you need sthg else.

Don't bother about removing Cortana- you can end up in more trouble than you want. If you still want to, in the tutorial section here, there's a tutorial about that.

Just ignore it, and use the option from the taskbar to hide its search box.

In the Tutorial section, which you're free to browse and search,
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index Windows 10 Tutorials

I have searched 'tiles' for you.
    Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Live Tiles for Apps on Start in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Coming from Win 7 you will find Win 10 far less customisable, but there are things you can do. Superfly's SMACC partly replaces the missing Advanced Display Features dialogue.

Example of mine with a few changes (using 3rd party programs and a theme file saved and created using the above utility (or a widely known registry mod):

Windows 10 Desktop showing apps not icons [​IMG]

You can find examples of what others have done in some of threads in Customisation.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  5. zillah Win User
    Thanks for your help
    I meant Desktop not Start Menu.
    But I thought mistakenly Classic Shell might fix the issue, but it doesn't I guess

zillah, Sep 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  7. zillah Win User
    Okay
    Thanks for the help
    "Use start full screen" supposed to be set to "on" to fix the issue
    mine was set to "off"

zillah, Sep 16, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

If the start screen is not full screen you should be able to see part of your desktop. Do you?

Your image does not show any of your desktop, just the taskbar and start screen.

Close the start screen, and post a screenshot of your desktop please, as you are saying its content is not what you expect.
    How to post a screenshot is indicated at the end of my last post. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  9. zillah Win User
    I couldn't see the desktop this is why I posted here , the image that I posted is what I used to see

But when I set "Use start full screen" to "on" now I can see the desktop as per below :

zillah, Sep 16, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop showing apps not icons - Similar Threads - Desktop showing apps

2. Desktop icons and windows not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons and windows not showing: Just got this new pc and set up pretty much everything. Turned it on today but every desktop icons are gone and the taskbar is also not working. Opened some program, it can be seen that it is actually opened on the taskbar but it doesn't show the window on the desktop. Tried...
  3. Desktop icons and windows not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons and windows not showing: Just got this new pc and set up pretty much everything. Turned it on today but every desktop icons are gone and the taskbar is also not working. Opened some program, it can be seen that it is actually opened on the taskbar but it doesn't show the window on the desktop. Tried...
  4. Desktop icons and windows not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons not showing in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Desktop icons not showing in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]While we all love to keep icons and files on the Desktop for quick access, it results in too much clutter. As Windows changed, it allowed you to hide the desktop icons, so everything looked cleaner. That said, now that Start Menu and Taskbar have evolved, putting...
  6. App Icons showing on other desktop??

App Icons showing on other desktop??: So I have two desktops open the first desktop has google chrome, word, etc. When I switch desktops by pressing ctrl + windows key + right arrow the app icons still show on the other desktop. this is very annoying. here are some screenshots If you are confused here is a...
  7. show desktop icon for volume on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    show desktop icon for volume on windows 10: how do i put the volume control icon on desktop for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-desktop-icon-for-volume-on-windows-10/6d30a794-a7af-4ffe-a960-670db8509483
  8. App Icons are not showing on windows 10

App Icons are not showing on windows 10: Hey! I have a laptop that is running windows 10. One day, most of the app icons from the task bar started to disappear. Now they are like just a blue line under the app icon when it is open. I have tried a few things from brief internet searches, but nothing has worked. any...
  9. Windows 10 - show apps on desktop

Windows 10 - show apps on desktop: How do I show apps on desktop in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-show-apps-on-desktop/5dc4aec2-f394-4f65-a671-1b7bcbd4bd9b
  10. Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Desktop Icons in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show All Icons on Your Desktop in Windows 10 [img] Information The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. icon not showing windows 10