Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop Wakes Itself Up

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop Wakes Itself Up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, Let me preface this by saying that I'm an average user. I surf the internet, create documents, and basic things like that. I can attempt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WindowsMac, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Desktop Wakes Itself Up

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that I'm an average user. I surf the internet, create documents, and basic things like that. I can attempt troubleshooting by following tutorials/instructions.

I recently upgraded my desktop & laptop to Windows 10. The desktop wakes itself from sleep most of the time since upgrading. This wasn't an issue in Windows 7. The laptop has not displayed this issue to the best of my knowledge.

So far I unchecked the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option in Device Manager--> Network adapters--> Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller--> Properties--> Power Management. I saw that tip somewhere on the net.

The issue is still present. Can anyone assist me with this. This is a custom built PC in case that makes a difference.

----------Edit----------
    The laptop just woke itself up.
    ----------

:)

WindowsMac, Oct 21, 2015
  2. MLGWuzi Win User

Desktop waking itself up

I have the most recent update for windows as of 11/17/2017, and my desktop keeps waking itself up about every 20 minutes with all apps shut off. It hasn't done it up until this recent update. Is this a bug from the update? There is nothing on my computer
    with special privileges to wake my computer from sleep. Has anyone else had this happen?

MLGWuzi, Oct 21, 2015
  3. Desktop waking itself up

Hi,

Updating your PC can sometimes cause software conflicts. We recommend starting your PC in
    Safe Mode to check if basic basic files and drivers are not causing the issue.

Feel free to post with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Oct 21, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Wakes Itself Up

Word Man, Oct 23, 2015
  5. Janfi Win User
    Janfi, Oct 24, 2015
  6. Hi Word Man,

I followed you advice and disabled Fast Startup on the desktop and laptop. The issue is still present.

WindowsMac, Oct 26, 2015
  7. WindowsMac, Oct 26, 2015
  8. Janfi Win User

Hi WindowsMac,

Apparently this have worked for me, have not had a wakeup in some nights now. I did not disable the automatic maintenance, just set another time for it.

Janfi, Oct 26, 2015
  9. I made the changes, but the PC woke up overnight on occasion. I ended up re-installing Windows 7. Thanks for your input.

WindowsMac, Nov 30, 2015
  10. TDOZ Win User
    Hello, I had this issue too, and it seems to be common with the Realtek PCIE GBE Ethernet controller. Just go to the device manager, and right click to select the properties for it. On the advanced tab, look for "Wake on pattern match" and set that to disable. After clicking on OK, just do a reboot to ensure the driver is loaded with the new settings. This fixed it for me, and it may be effective for the Atheros GB drivers too. NOTE: this was needed for Windows 7, but also applies to Windows 10, and be aware that if you get the new "1511" update, it is actually a BIG windows update, really an upgrade, so in effect re-installs WIN10. The thing is, any special "fixes" or workarounds you did before the update will get lost/reset, so you will have to re-do things like the above (and at least rejoin the Homegroup, and redo any shared folders if you have more than one PC/Laptop on your home network - a bit of a pain that 1511 update!

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop Wakes Itself Up - Similar Threads - Desktop Wakes Itself

2. Windows 10 wakes itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 wakes itself: Hello,I have tried the options in these...
  3. Windows 10 wakes itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  4. Windows 10 wakes itself

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Windows 10 Desktop Wakes up For Unknown Reason

Windows 10 Desktop Wakes up For Unknown Reason: Sometimes when I go back to my sleeping computer it has woken up. I unchecked the box that lets the Network wake up my computer. The only other source that I can think of that might wake my computer up is one of my Bluetooth devices, but the Bluetooth driver doesn't have a...
  6. PC keeps waking up by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC keeps waking up by itself: Hi guys, i have a problem with every installation of windows 10 i have. I prefer to use sleep or hibernation mode on my PC at night, but it randomly turn on in the middle of the night. What i already did: Disabled allow waketimers in power options. Used PStools to uncheck...
  7. Desktop will not respond to wake up.

Desktop will not respond to wake up.: Hello, I have a 27 inch HP pavilion 27-r119 AIO computer with windows 10. I just did a complete HP reset. The machine will wake up fine if only idle for a short time. Either moving the mouse or pushing a key on the keyboard wakes it up quickly. My problem only seems to be if...
  8. Windows 10 waking up itself

Windows 10 waking up itself: Is there a way to permanently stop windows update from waking up my pc. I tried the gpedit thing which tempoarily worked until I updated windows again and now it does not work....
  9. Windows 10 wakes up from sleep all by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 wakes up from sleep all by itself: Hello, Since a few weeks ago, I have noticed that my Windows 10 64-bit machine wakes up from sleep/hibernation automatically without my intervention. I should mention that I have never had this issue before and that I have not changed the hardware. Running "powercfg...
  10. Windows 10 wakes itself up - solutions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 wakes itself up - solutions: I recently updated to Win10 from Win7, and like many others, couldn't get my PC to stay asleep. Found this solution at "gizmo's freeware" (How to Fix a Computer that Keeps Waking Up | Gizmo's Freeware). Turned out to be a network card that was the culprit. Hope this will be...