Windows 10: Windows 10 desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; *Huh Can someone PLEASE help me as I'm fed up of my desktop constantly rearranging all my icons,no matter how many times I try to stop this and even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oodleflip58, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Windows 10 desktop

*Huh Can someone PLEASE help me as I'm fed up of my desktop constantly rearranging all my icons,no matter how many times I try to stop this and even though I've used the supposedly failsafe settings on my PC,it still rearranges them aligning everything to the side in an orderly fashion....BORING!! *Rolleyes
    So is there a 100% easy way of stopping this please anyone?

:)

oodleflip58, Dec 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Dec 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Dec 24, 2017
  4. Windows 10 desktop

Does this mean you can arrange them to your liking, but when the computer is shut down, the problem returns when the computer is started back up?

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 24, 2017
  5. Yes,that sounds about the case mate! *Confused

oodleflip58, Dec 24, 2017
  6. There might be another way to accomplish what you want but this is what just worked for me.

Right clicked on the desktop to pull up the desktop menu.
    Selected View
    Ensured both Auto arrange icons & Align icons to grid are unchecked.

*Arrow Turn On or Off Auto Arrange Desktop Icons in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

*Arrow Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

--- That is the key: unchecked them before rearranging
    Rearranged some icons in different areas of the desktop
    Shut down
    Started back up
    All of the rearranged icons were where I had placed them.

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 24, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Install a program like DesktopOK.
    Arrange the icons the way you want then tell DesktopOK to save the layout. Set it's options to start when windows starts and restore icon position on boot. That should resolve the problem, no matter what Microsoft does to them. I've been using it for years.

Also, you can right click on the DesktopOK icon in the System area of the taskbar and select the layout you want (you can save multiple) and it will restore the icons to that if they some how get messed up. Great program and it's free.

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2017
  8. hiphopper Win User

Windows 10 desktop

What generally works for me is to arrange icons as wanted, then press F5. That tells Windows to remember the arrangement for this monitor resolution. If the resolution gets changed the icons will move, but they should return where you want when the resolution is restored.

hiphopper, Dec 26, 2017
  9. 1. Some programs (such as computer games in particular) change the screen resolution when you run them. When it happens, Windows automatically re-arranges the desktop icons to fit the new screen size. When you exit the game, the screen resolution may change back, but the icons have already been re-arranged. Sound familiar? If you've noticed that the icons change their positions after you run a particular program, this might be the case. What is the solution? Not to run that program Windows 10 desktop :) or look through its settings, maybe there is an option to adjust the screen resolution it uses. Contact the company that makes the offending program, and they might be able to help.
    2. If only some icons are moving after you save changes to the documents they represent, it could be because the program that saves the changes actually recreates a new document from scratch, and it makes Windows to find a new position for the icon rather than reuse the old one. As suggested in the comments below, a solution to such a problem is not to save documents themselves on the desktop. Instead, save them to some other folder, such as Documents, and create shortcuts to the documents on the Desktop. This way, when you save the document, the shortcut will not be changed, and it should keep its position on the desktop.

3. If Windows keeps rearranging the icons even after you've tried the previous suggestions, another possibility is that you have a faulty video card or an outdated driver for the video card. You see, if the video card or its driver do not behave well, they may change the resolution spontaneously, and when the resolution changes, it causes Windows to rearrange the icons on the desktop, too. If this is the case, first of all check for updates to your video card driver, and install a new version, if available. Keep in mind that you may need to search the web site of the company that manufactured your video card for the latest driver for your specific model. If updating the driver does not solve the problem, try tweaking the video card settings, such as changing its resolution or the display mode.

robertosburn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 desktop

1. Windows 10 desktop - Similar Threads - desktop

2. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  3. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.: The icon on my laptop and browser keep refreshing without me issuing any command. Should i do to resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-icon-on-my-desktop-and-browse-keep-refreshing/a5dc16cb-2314-443a-9b27-e95bdb8c1755
  4. The icon on my desktop and browse keep refreshing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 desktop not fully loading and cursor stuck loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 desktop not fully loading and cursor stuck loading: I logged in to my old laptop to recover some files and it was a bit slow to even start and just for a note i have not used it in about 8 months. After i had logged in there was a message on my desktop letting me know about a new windows update. I had tried clicking on it and...
  6. Windows 10 desktop not fully loading and cursor stuck loading

Windows 10 desktop not fully loading and cursor stuck loading: I logged in to my old laptop to recover some files and it was a bit slow to even start and just for a note i have not used it in about 8 months. After i had logged in there was a message on my desktop letting me know about a new windows update. I had tried clicking on it and...
  7. Windows 10 desktop not fully loading and cursor stuck loading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me: How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me since I play games on it when I type it distracts me so please respond to it as soon as you can....
  9. How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me

How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me: How do I turn off caps lock Notification on DESKTOP-7ITGTCO it is distracting me since I play games on it when I type it distracts me so please respond to it as soon as you can....
  10. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...