Windows 10: Windows 10 dilemma!

Discus and support Windows 10 dilemma! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So impressed with my upgrade and within 10 minutes I opted for the clean install, all was great a few niggles with my Xonar DGX sound card, but overall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peter4076, Nov 2, 2015.

1. peter4076 Win User

Windows 10 dilemma!

So impressed with my upgrade and within 10 minutes I opted for the clean install, all was great a few niggles with my Xonar DGX sound card, but overall very pleased....But decided today to take my PC to someone's house to show them that W10 is worth the upgrade, I didn't take my Ps2 mouse or Ps2 keyboard, my friend said he had spares, anyway nothing worked, I mean nothing, got to welcome screen, then went black, then it re-booted to welcome screen ad infinitum, also mouse or keyboard didn't work. This morning it was perfect at my house, read my emails then closed it down properly, then removed a few usb's from the back, also monitor & ethernet cable, any ideas, I am totally stumped by this. I had to rush off, so I am collecting PC tomorrow, at the moment using my laptop with W10 working a treat.
    By the by, years ago clean installs was via Fdisk, and I remember the keyboard always was functionable, then later the mouse.
    Your thoughts what could have caused this embarrassing situation in front of my friend who sits on the fence when it comes to new technology. Cheers

:)

peter4076, Nov 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 dilemma

Simply install all the latest updates and you should get it back.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

If the Reservation application (Windows 10 app) has a blank screen or does not work or is not available:

Please be aware even if you do not get the Windows 10 app, you can still download Windows 10 as a .ISO file, create a bootable copy and upgrade your system.

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

• [*]Check Windows Update for an updated version of KB2952664 (Windows 7 SP1) or KB2976978 (Windows 8.x)

[*]After installing the Windows Update, re-run the Compatibility Appraiser. This will happen automatically within a day or it can be run manually from an admin command prompt:

• schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
    Once started, it may take 10 minutes or so for the appraiser to complete. Once complete, re-open the Get Windows 10 app and it will have the updated compatibility information.

Dan Charlton

Windows DirectX Graphics team

Restart your computer and try again.

If the above does not work, try uninstalling both updates:

Press Windows key + X (for Windows 7 click Start, type: cmd then right click
    cmd and click Run as administrator)

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

At the command prompt, enter the following commands:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664

Exit the command prompt, restart and run Windows Update again.

If the problem persist, see the following:

I
    want to reserve my free copy of Windows 10, but I don’t see the icon on the taskbar

Andre Da Costa, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Windows 10 dilemma

Greetings !

I'm in a pickle here,

I am currently using Windows 7, I reserved my copy of Windows 10 and had the icon displaying on the desktop,

Unfortunately, due to an unrelated issue, I had to format my laptop,

But the reservation was already made.

What I want to know is, will windows 10 install even if I don't have the icon ? and If not, how I can get it back

What are the ways I can remedy this ?

SHAHEER SHAHZAD, Nov 2, 2015
  4. damocles Win User

Windows 10 dilemma!

The universe is a strange thing - Win10 is obviously not for your friend.....apart from that, I have no idea what happened.

damocles, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Kanata Win User
    Sounds like something with the outlet or cabling. Not using one of those cheap two-pin (ie no ground) extensions at your friend's house are you>?

Kanata, Nov 3, 2015
  6. If you can access the inside, make sure everything is all connected and there are no loose wires.

Could try a system restore: System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Could try to refresh: Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To get to the above tutorials, you have to boot to advanced start-up options: Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums - If you can't, you will have to follow a semi-complicated process to put a Windows 10 ISO to a spare USB device to access it from there. I can show you how, but first steps first.

Don't discount that it may be hardware-related.

DustSailor, Nov 3, 2015
  7. KACI Win User
    Let me see if I have this right. It works fine at your house with your mouse and keyboard but doesn't at your friends with his mouse and keyboard. If that is correct, it sounds very much like a driver issue.

KACI, Nov 4, 2015
  8. linw Win User

Windows 10 dilemma!

You have moved the PC so, like DustSailor says, check everything is seated properly.

But aren't computers sods when they show you up? But, I guess it isn't as bad as the MS CEO having a stuff up on stage*Redface

linw, Nov 4, 2015
  9. peter4076 Win User
    Thanks to you all for the input above, I was totally baffled, anyway brought the PC home last night, plugged the basics in keyboard, monitor, ethernet...absolutely nothing just boot up to home screen, no mouse or keyboard. Then plugged in an old usb (have about 7 fitted in the back) and woila the mouse and keyboard came to life, and puta is working a treat. One of the usb's was to a belkin 4 way usb port and my optical digital mouse works from that signal.
    So windows 10 seems like it doesn't come with an array of drivers for basic support unless hardwired.
    Once again cheers.

peter4076, Nov 4, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Like one of the other members said, still sounds like a driver issue. After doing a clean install, Windows puts in its own drivers, and some of us have ended up having to update some of our drivers, from the computer maker, or motherboard maker.

I can change keyboards and mouse on my system with older ones I have here, with no problem.

OldMike65, Nov 4, 2015
  11. KACI Win User
    As long as it's working that's really what's important. Out of curiosity, when u installed 10 did you remove everything except your mouse and keyboard?

Thema:

Windows 10 dilemma!

1. Windows 10 dilemma! - Similar Threads - dilemma

2. Touch Keyboard dilemma

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch Keyboard dilemma: HiI often use the Touch Keyboard on Windows 10 for typing in accents for foreign words and for currency symbols. My problem is this: When I am trying to input the pound sign £ for British currency, I click on &123 and the $ sign, but the pound sign isn't one of the...
  3. Touch Keyboard dilemma

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch Keyboard dilemma: HiI often use the Touch Keyboard on Windows 10 for typing in accents for foreign words and for currency symbols. My problem is this: When I am trying to input the pound sign £ for British currency, I click on &123 and the $ sign, but the pound sign isn't one of the...
  4. Touch Keyboard dilemma

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  6. Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma

Locked out for 30 days. Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  7. Verification Dilemma

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  8. Verification Dilemma

Verification Dilemma: Hello and thank you for any help you can give to rescue my laptop from being a brick for the next 30 daysI bought a new laptop Lenovo i7 with Windows 11 and in setting it up I chose to use my thumbprint to unlock the computer. It also had me sign into my Microsoft account....
  9. Installed Apps dilemma

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Apps dilemma: Hello all. I found an old game on a 20+ year old hard drive. I copied the game folder to my current computer Program Files x86 folder in Windows 11. I'm able to run it just fine, but I need to install a patch for it. The patch file fails because it can't locate the game. I'm...
  10. Installed Apps dilemma

Installed Apps dilemma: Hello all. I found an old game on a 20+ year old hard drive. I copied the game folder to my current computer Program Files x86 folder in Windows 11. I'm able to run it just fine, but I need to install a patch for it. The patch file fails because it can't locate the game. I'm...