Windows 10: Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive

Discus and support Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Sony Optiarc DVD drive. When I first upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it was working but later it is not. It shows in the Bios but not in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SuperAggie, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive

I have a Sony Optiarc DVD drive. When I first upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it was working but later it is not. It shows in the Bios but not in Windows. I even bought a new Lite-on DVD drive and put it in and still not recognized by Windows 10.

:)

SuperAggie, Sep 13, 2015

2. DVD RW DRIVE IS NOT WRITING ANY DVD IN WINDOWS 10

WHY MY OPTIARC DVD RW AD-1700H (DVD RW DRIVE) IS NOT ABLE TO WRITE DVD AFTER UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 10 (OLDER IS WINDOWS 7)? DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE FOR THIS DRIVE.

RAHULGHATE, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 DvD RW is not reading properly.

Original titleWindows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive :Dvd RWs not reading

my windows 10 computer suddenly does not read blank DVD RWs.

it reads dvd r and not blank cds.

my drive can has DVD RW capabilities

i have tried reinstalling and enabling drivers.

none of them work

ShivaShankarRajagopalan, Sep 13, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive

Seems to be common issue for many with this upgrade. Did you update system drivers from the PC manufacturer's site after this upgrade ? Look at top part of this article first, then try resolution 1 and then 3 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

jds63, Sep 13, 2015
  5. This resolution is for those where the CD or DVD shows up in device manager with a yellow asterisk. Mine does not show up in Device Manager at all. I have confirmed that the drive works because I can boot with it with a bootable CD,

SuperAggie, Sep 14, 2015
  6. Hydranix Win User
    Open CMD as administrator.

Enter this command:
    Code: SC QUERY CDROM[/quote] Tell me what it returns.

Hydranix, Sep 14, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    How about resolution 3 or run Hardware troubleshooter from within Control Panel.

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
  8. Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive

tell me what it returns.[/quote] service_name: Cdrom
    type :1 kernal_driver
    state : 4 running
    (stoppable, not_pausable, ignores_shutdown)
    win32_exit_code :0 (0x0)
    service_exit_code :0 (0x0)
    checkpoint : 0x0
    wait_hint : 0x0

SuperAggie, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Tried both and no change. I will reboot however after running the troubleshooter and get back if it helps. It didn't say I needed to reboot but I always try that anyway.
    Still no change after rebooting.

SuperAggie, Sep 14, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Worth a try ! Did update all system drivers from PC manufacturer's site as also suggested ? Is there a category for DVD/CD Drive in Device Manager ? Right click it, Scan for hardware changes.

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
  11. Homebuilt PC's don't have that option however it was working fine in Windows 7 and if Windows 10 don't have the correct drivers for a Sony DVD-RW then it really sucks. I did everything possible in device manager.

SuperAggie, Sep 14, 2015
  12. Hydranix Win User
    There is only generic drivers available for optical drives, and yours is running.

You could try updating the firmware for the drive.

Is it ATA or SATA?

Hydranix, Sep 14, 2015
  13. bobkn Win User

You'd look for drivers at the motherboard manufacturer's site.

Unfortunately, it looks like support for the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H-E stopped at Windows 7. I see that the latest BIOS update for the board is from 2010.

Another alternative that may fix the problem: clean install Windows 10. That would get you past the issues that may follow from an upgarde installation not going quite right. It's a pain because you'd have to manually re-install all programs and settings.

Windows 10 might not include drivers for some old hardware, but every optical drive I've used since my first homebuilt system in 1997 has used generic Windows drivers. As the problem occurs for two different drives, and the drives work outside of Windows, I'd bet that you have a registry problem.

Just out of curiosity: do you have any third party CD burner software installed? I once lost the use of a CD drive through a Registry error created by attempting to update software from Adaptec (later Roxio, now Sonic Solutions). It required manually editing the Registry; simply deleting the software didn't fix it. That was more than 10 years ago, under Windows NT4.

bobkn, Sep 14, 2015
  14. It is SATA and as I said earlier I also have a new Lite-On DVD-RW - also SATA. They both do the same thing. At this point I am considering trying to revert to Windows 7 except for the fact that my laptop is on Windows 10 and doing fair. I definitely want them both on the same operating system.

SuperAggie, Sep 14, 2015
  15. jds63 Win User
    Possible controller drivers and chipset.

jds63, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive - Similar Threads - disabled DVD Drive

2. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  3. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  4. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DVD RW Drive E:

DVD RW Drive E:: DVD RW Drive E: keep telling me to insert a disc into drive when I try to open the CD or DVD. I have removed the CD and placed an DVD, tried upgrading and troubleshooting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-e/a076e210-70f2-43ba-b7f9-9a40a2a4c030
  6. DVD RW Drive

DVD RW Drive: When I try to run a disk from this driver for MSI, an error message pops up saying. DVDSetup: Failed to load Hardware Monitor Driver! This program must run as administrator. How can I make the disk as an admin?...
  7. DVD-RW drive no located

DVD-RW drive no located: My WIN 10 can no longer find my subject drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-no-located/46d3adb9-e398-4f07-8d4d-240dc77c819d
  8. DVD/RW drive disappeared in Windows 10

DVD/RW drive disappeared in Windows 10: I can't find my DVD/RW drive in Windows 10. It was working find, then everything disappeared? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdrw-drive-disappeared-in-windows-10/48593b32-49f6-48ad-abfe-a493ae557bfb
  9. DVD-RW drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD-RW drive: I have windows 10 pro and for some reason it will not recognize my DVD-RW drive now. it says code 45 hardware device is not connected. help how can I fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive/c1e425aa-bc0b-4a0a-8317-4f686d91a155
  10. DVD-RW Drive

DVD-RW Drive: I burnt photos on the DVD-RW drive with a DVD-R disc, the photos are now blurred. Could it be because I used an R disc instead DVD-RW.? Trying to get to the bottom of the blurring problem, never had this before. 79294

Users found this page by searching for:

1. RW drive not working windows 10 disabled drivers

2. Windows 10 disabled my DVD RW Drive