Windows 10: Windows 10 Disk SMART error pop up warnings.

Discus and support Windows 10 Disk SMART error pop up warnings. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a problem with one of the hard drives on my system where the spin up time fell below the threshold. Windows issued a pop up window advising the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tweakit, May 17, 2016.

1. tweakit Win User

Windows 10 Disk SMART error pop up warnings.

I had a problem with one of the hard drives on my system where the spin up time fell below the threshold. Windows issued a pop up window advising the drive could fail soon. The error was based on the drive reporting a bad SMART value. I began moving my data over to a safe location and the windows pop up error kept returning. Frustrated with the ongoing warnings, I clicked a box in the pop up window to keep windows from flagging the error again. That worked and I’ve since removed the failing drive from the computer. Now of course I’d like to have the windows pop up warnings restored to the default settings so I can be warned if a new SMART error occurs in the future. I can’t figure out how to do that. Can someone help with this?

:)

tweakit, May 17, 2016

2. virus and malware issue

It is Windows 10 and when I click to open internet explorer I get the shrill alarm and pop up warning and a pop up asking me to enter my Microsoft username and password. Behind this pop up is the black and white pop up stating fatal error etc.

RogerJones1020, May 17, 2016
  3. Tiffcas Win User
    Error

I am getting the following pop up error message once signed in to windows 10. If I say "ok" or close the box it pops right back up. Have looked all over can't seem to find a fix.

"DDE Server Window: explorer.exe- System Warning

️ Unknown Hard Error

Tiffcas, May 17, 2016
  4. tweakit Win User

Can anyone help with this? I'm Still looking for some help.

tweakit, May 19, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi. This is a new one on me.
    Do you have a setting in the BIOS for this?

simrick, May 19, 2016
  6. tweakit Win User
    Not a bios setting.
    When the hard drive reports a SMART error, Windows 10 generates a pop up warning that the drive may fail. The pop-up warning includes a check box that says something like: “Do not warn me about this again.” Sure enough, after checking the “Do not warn me….” box, I got no more pop-up warnings. Now that my HDD problem is resolved, I want to disable the “do not warn me about this” feature but I don’t know where to find this. That’s my dilemma. I would appreciate any guidance on this.
    Thanks

tweakit, May 19, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    I'm not sure , but look under 'System' , 'Settings' , 'Notifications' , is there an option there that's toggled off?

Wullail, May 19, 2016
  8. tweakit Win User

Thanks. I checked there and it looks like all of the settings are the same. The only heading that looks like it might control this kind of message is under "Windows Feedback" and all those settings are "on."

tweakit, May 19, 2016
  9. Wullail Win User
    Ok , look under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler

In the sub-section 'Task Scheduler Library' , 'Microsoft' , 'Windows' , 'DiskDiagnostic' there is 'Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticResolver' , is it disabled?

Wullail, May 19, 2016
  10. tweakit Win User
    Thanks Wullail, it sounds like you're on to something. I have two other Windows 10 machines so i can compare the settings. There are a lot of settings in the Task Scheduler and I've not compared all of them with another machine, but to answer your question, yes the status of the DiskDiagnosticResolver is Disabled on the machine in question. It is also Disabled on one of my other Win10 machines (haven't looked a the 3rd machine yet) so that alone doesn't seem to be telling us much. I attached a screen shot of what is seen on the machine in question below. I also checked the Diagnostic Policy Service on the machine in question since this service triggers the Task. That is set the same as the other machine as "Running and Automatic." Let me know what you think and thanks again for helping.
    Update: I just checked the other tabs on the DiskDiagnosticResolver task (Triggers,Actions,Conditions,Settings,History) and they too are all the same as on the other Win10 machine! Seems a little mysterious*Eek.

Windows 10 Disk SMART error pop up warnings. [​IMG]

tweakit, May 19, 2016
  11. Spike999 Win User
    Is it possible you have only canceled the warnings for that particular drive? In other words, a new problem on a different drive might still give you the warning? That might explain why there doesn't seem to be a setting to restore the function. Just a thought.

Spike999, May 19, 2016
  12. tweakit Win User
    Thanks for chiming in Spike. I suppose in theory if not practice, this is possible. SMART drives do report their serial # so I guess this could be stored somewhere like maybe the registry for later query. Just speculating here, but maybe the Diagnostic Policy Service queries the registry for any serial #s' excepted before triggering the task!? I dunno but if nobody figures this out or knows more about this than I do, then i'll have to assume I'm good to go for any new SMART errors.
    I have to admit it was nice to be warned about my drive sliding downhill in time to protect myself before it hit bottom!

tweakit, May 20, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Never seen Windows ever pop up stating that the hard drive was bad. Sounds like third party software software watching the hard drive.

There really is no need for constant monitoring of the Hard drive.

bro67, May 20, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    @tweakit
    You could just download the Free version of Speccy from Piriform. It shows you the current status of your smart drive.
    Speccy - Free Download
    Does not report automatically thou

OldMike65, May 20, 2016
  15. tweakit Win User
    Yes I have CrystalDiskInfo which reports all disk SMART data but it too is not automatic. You must launch it to find out if anything is degraded. This is where the windows built in diagnostics is nice, as it only bothers you when a SMART value has dropped below the threshold value which signals an imminent problem.

tweakit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Disk SMART error pop up warnings. - Similar Threads - Disk SMART error

2. Mcafee ovinspecutions.com warning pop-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mcafee ovinspecutions.com warning pop-up: Hello. I opened an invitation for a Linkedin connection and that seemed to trigger or introduce a pop-up that suggests I have viruses and appears to be from McAfee via something called ovinspecutions.com. I searched ovinspecutions.com and it seems to be a bad actor and should...
  3. Mcafee ovinspecutions.com warning pop-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mcafee ovinspecutions.com warning pop-up: Hello. I opened an invitation for a Linkedin connection and that seemed to trigger or introduce a pop-up that suggests I have viruses and appears to be from McAfee via something called ovinspecutions.com. I searched ovinspecutions.com and it seems to be a bad actor and should...
  4. Mcafee ovinspecutions.com warning pop-up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. security pop up warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security pop up warning: My other laptop just had a pop up warning from windows defender security center, that advises not shutting down the device , the system has been locked down, to contact windows support. I know this is some sort of malware but not sure how to proceed with shutting down the...
  6. security pop up warning

security pop up warning: My other laptop just had a pop up warning from windows defender security center, that advises not shutting down the device , the system has been locked down, to contact windows support. I know this is some sort of malware but not sure how to proceed with shutting down the...
  7. security pop up warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Pop-up Ransomware Warning

Pop-up Ransomware Warning: The other day, I clicked on a link for an interesting article. I was pinged with a supposed ransomware attack. Knowing everything that I know about computers, I immediately clicked CTRL ALT DEL together to bring up Task Manager and ended the task. You will not be able to...
  9. continual Disk Space warning pop up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    continual Disk Space warning pop up: I get this message "Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Local Drive (F:). Click here to free up space on this drive. Windows Explorer" The disk shows it is low in the red zone, but nothing is on it.. . 0 bytes. I converted to Windows 10 when it came out,...
  10. HP Smart Adapter Pop up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Smart Adapter Pop up: OK, this is very annoying and I cannot figure out why. I've been upgraded to Windows 10 for several weeks without a single issue, Edge is little quirky but, that's another story. As of yesterday I've been getting a daily pop up window from HP Smart Adapter that reads. "HP...